cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headed south for just two weeks

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
We are relatively new to RV'ing, although hubby is an almost retired truck driver. Bought a used truck and older 5th wheel, 28 ft., last fall and decided to try out the RV life. Have taken a couple of quick overnight trips to get used to it, that's all the time we've had. Headed for Florida, god willing, on 2-23-19 for a 2 week test trip. We've made reservations at one park, Hickory Point, near Tarpon Springs, for 2 days, but are wondering about parks further south, availability, prices, traffic, all of that. We haven't been to Florida in 15 years. Hoping for lots of advice from folks that are in parks down there...thank you!
26 REPLIES 26

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have Good Sam Towing and have been very satisfied with the service but like mentioned by Airdaile I think they all call the same providers.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
We have Coach-Net, but the truth is that they all call the same service providers in the area where you need assistance. Just go with the cheapest one that covers the most.

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Btw, I think the whole state of Florida is now an RV park. Tried three different reservation sites, and on every one of them I read about new parks I hadn't heard of before...LOL

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
We now have reservations from Feb. 25, our hoped for arrival date in Florida, right through March 5. Two private parks, two state parks. Highest price paid was $69 per night, that's in Tarpon Springs and we took that because a friend is in the same park. Taking a chance on what sounds/looks like more of a mobile home community than an RV park in Ft. Myers, but they were very picky about us, so it may be ok, and we're just staying there two nights anyway. It's called Iona Ranch, and it's fairly unknown from what I can tell. Picked up 2 so-so reviews, mostly about the picky manager. So, we'll see. Now, advice on roadside assistance? We don't have AAA, is Good Sam a good deal? Thanks, all...

Hiker52
Explorer
Explorer
We are on about the same timeline as the OP and were able to book 5 nights at Riverside RV Resort at Arcadia just a couple of weeks ago. Being inland they had more availability than most parks. Also booked 8 nights at Cypress Trails near Ft Myers. Crazy expensive but we wanted to be in the area and it's hard to be picky so late in the season. Enjoy your trip

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Nearly all state parks along the Atlantic & Gulf coasts will be booked eleven months in advance. There could be cancelations, but don't count on it.

I would suggest that you look further inland if you want to keep the costs down. Arcadia, FL has several parks that are nice. Check out the Sebring area too. Follow U.S.27 up through the middle of the state.

To help you search Florida campgrounds you might want to use Campgroundreviews.com Click on the state you want and then click on the various cities that you will see along the left side.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I would hop over to Ft DeSoto on the Gulf.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try Pine Island KOA?

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
We now have 3 reservations, all for 2 days at a time-can't find anything for anything longer. The good news is, booked 2 days at Lake Manatee State Park yesterday, another cancellation, I'm sure.
Now we need to fill March 1 -3, which is after Lake Manatee and before Collier-Seminole. So far, no openings for those dates in state parks-it's a weekend-so checking out the private, much more expensive resorts around Ft. Myers. Have found a few openings, but they're pricey...Raintree wants $80 a night-uh, no, not unless we have to. And I don't think we do.
North Ft. Myers and out in the sticks would be ok, too.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Central Lake RV'er wrote:
There's BLM land in Florida? I thought that was just out west.

BLM, no. But the Water Management folks offer free camping at a variety of places around the state.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Just left Collier a couple of days ago and I didnโ€™t see an empty space. Went to Ft DeSoto up by St Pete and it seemed like a number of sites available so you might want to check there. Ft DeSoto is a county park and I forget if it is on Reserve America or direct. Do not miss Anastasia St Park by St Augustine if you can get in.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Central Lake RV'er wrote:
Just talked to someone at Collier. They said to stay up with Reserve America, that any openings are posted there almost immediately. Also, Florida does not require any type of pass just for entry into a state park. Good thing-Michigan does, it's called a Recreation Passport, so watch out!

I was just going to tell you about that lack of a FL seasonal pass (for non-residents; and even though we own property here in FL, we aren't considered "residents") So each time you use a FL State Park that has a gate fee, you get to pay admission. The Michigan Recreation Passport program is such a great deal!!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Just talked to someone at Collier. They said to stay up with Reserve America, that any openings are posted there almost immediately. Also, Florida does not require any type of pass just for entry into a state park. Good thing-Michigan does, it's called a Recreation Passport, so watch out!

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, angler! You, too!