cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading south freezing temps

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where my post went! Try again. We are leaving Ontario to head south on Dec.15. Temps going way below freezing. Rig winterized. 2 big dogs. Planning on staying in our usual open all year campground first night. Furnace, 2 heaters, electric fireplace, electric blanket. Heated clean washrooms. Will hydralic slides work in these temps? Can we stay hooked up and not put landing gear down? Only one vent in furnace blocked when slides in. Are we crazy?
19 REPLIES 19

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Hoping someone will advice us about the hydralic slides. Will they work in those temps. Should we just leave it closed up and grab a few hours sleep and then move on?would keeping the furnace on Help? Is that Dangerous?

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Dick we try to head out earlier but travel insurance has been a challenge this year. Must be 90 days stable before leaving! The rig is winterized and we are used to dealing with that. Hotels are a challenge for us with the 2 dogs. I know there are pet friendly ones and I do have a back up plan. Our 17 year old doesn't settle in strange places so it would be a sleepless night.Alabama Jim we can't wait. Stayed near Prattville at a CORE park.

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
We take the lazy man's approach (hotels until we hit Fla). No unhooking/hooking in the cold; no setting up utilities with frozen fingers; no waiting 20 minutes for rig to warm up. We pay $85 first night for hotel with in-door pool and many restaurant possibilities and only $55 second night for clean, comfortable, wi-fi, fridge,a nice TV and several restaurants withing walking distance. For us it's worth the extra money for the enhanced comfort and both places have ample RV parking. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all come on down. All are welcome.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
One of the challenges of travel in the winter.
The really smart Snowbirds are already at their destinations. We normally leave from the Midwest just after Christmas and need good travel weather for three days to get to our Florida destination; and the same when returning early February.
Maybe some day we will be smart!
BTW we keep the furnace on 50 degrees (American) on the way so we don't freeze at Rest Areas and flush with pink stuff.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)