cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading south, then east--death valley rec?

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
We plan an early spring exit from Washington state to death valley, then east thru Utah parks, denver, Branson, and east.

Wondering a few things--Best place to stay in DV--swim, hookups. Want 75-85 temperatures, March ok?

Utah--After DV, visit various Natl parks in Utah. Want to avoid snowy roads. How early can we go? March/April ok?

Branson--Never been there--hear it's amazing, shows, etc. Recommendations on RV park, shows?

Thanks folks, Mark
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
9 REPLIES 9

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
I love hot springs, period! How about hiway 178 headed east from Bakersfield via Miracle Hot Springs. Anyone gone that way? Is the road good? How about the hot springs. I see on their website, sites are $20, but only 10 available.
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We left WA in March and heading south, and took 97 down to Bend (Check out the High Desert Museum). Then we cut across on Hwy 20 to 395. Hit some blowing snow but nothing to worry about. Spent the night in Alturas and water hose froze it was so cold. Stayed on 395 until we got to Nevada, and switched to NV95 all the way down to Death Valley. Kept us out of the mountains,as north of Bishop on 395 is 7800 elevation. If you go to DV via 395 don't go in on 190, its scary as heck. Also taking I-5 is certainly an option but its a long way around.
I have been in DV in April and the temps were tipping the 90ies so March would be the best.

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
Driving to DV from WAshington state. Is it quickest/shortest to go I-5 to Bakersfield, then north into the park that way? It appears other routes have lots of twists/turns or mountains
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Furnace Creek Inn and Stovepipe Wells both have swimming pools.
I didn't know that.. thanks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Furnace Creek Inn and Stovepipe Wells both have swimming pools. You'd have to check if RVers can use them.

Swimming in Death Valley

Be sure to take the Scotty's Castle tour in Death Valley. For your first time, we would recommend the house tour rather than the underground tour - or do both.

March/April are excellent months for all the parks - Death Valley and Utah - chance of snow is minimal except you might see some on the beautiful red rocks of Bryce - a plus for you!

Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't be doing much swimming in DV.

Branson in Heading posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Furnace Creek is more of a campground than a parking lot in that section. There is another campground up towards Scotties Castle and if you haven't been up there, it is worth the tours. The campground is very pleasant.

There is a parking lot campground at Stovepipe wells, and one thing to watch is which direction the wind comes from, and where to the oncoming drivers lights come from at night.

Our last trip through brought us in from the west and out the south, then on the way back we came in through the upper east, and out the west. All directions are interesting and the change in elevation brings changes in driving if it's winter up top.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss driving down Utah state hwy 12 from Torrey south to Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park. This may well be the most scenic route in the USA.

Paul
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Largest place is Furnace Creek. I always liked Stove apipe Wells. They a few complete hookup sites. First come basis but were never full.