cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP - Need FL site over holidays

Kelbri
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any suggestions for rv camp site over the Christmas holiday break through Jan. 1 within a reasonable driving distance to Orlando (I've already looked at state parks-they have no availability)? I have SADD and now that U of MN football team going to Citrus Bowl - hubby says we could spend holidays in Florida and help my SADD and allow him to go to game. Is anywhere open or are we just out of luck?
18 REPLIES 18

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Kelbri wrote:
Thank you everyone for your responses. We ended up renting a house and then moving to a hotel in Orlando for the football game before heading home. We just didn't want to risk bringing camper and not having a place so unfortunately this trip is without our 'cabin on wheels'. Still driving down so now working on best/quickest route and stopping places to sleep at night. Thanks again for all of the information and Happy Holidays!

i understand the fairground has quite a few RV sites...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
GraciesDaddy wrote:
Oh... You also avoid the price gouging that is Fort Wilderness on Disney property!

Having been to Ft. wilderness, I would never say that their prices are price gouging...especially if you plan on going to Disney. Sure, some would shy away from $80/$90 per night camping fees, but its by far the most convenient campground to the park, resorts, attractions, etc. Free bus rides to anywhere QUICKLY, boat rides to anywhere in the park, and an awesome campground. You have to expect to pay for this level of convenience, and its definitely worth it. Besides, you'll be hard-pressed to find a decent hotel close to the parks for less than the campground fees.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

GraciesDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
There's Orange Blossom KOA in Apopka. It's on Orange Blossom Trail/U.S. 441 which is the main drag to take you south and to the Citrus Bowl. I haven't stayed there, but when I head down to visit friends in Orlando, it's on my short list.

There are a couple of things going for this park: The link above is for the park's website and not the corporate KOA/BS website... It tells me the park wants more control of its marketing and two: It is on the north side of Orlando in a not bad area and you would probably save yourselves from the nightmare that is Kissimmee/Disney area around the holidays! (I lived there for 16 years, and the crazy rental car drivers come out in force from before Christmas 'til after New Year's!) Oh... You also avoid the price gouging that is Fort Wilderness on Disney property!
Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker - The Traveling Siblings!
Co-pilots: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

Kelbri
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your responses. We ended up renting a house and then moving to a hotel in Orlando for the football game before heading home. We just didn't want to risk bringing camper and not having a place so unfortunately this trip is without our 'cabin on wheels'. Still driving down so now working on best/quickest route and stopping places to sleep at night. Thanks again for all of the information and Happy Holidays!

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Are you over 55 so that you can get in to a 55+ park? What type of unit do you have? Specifically, what dates are you looking for? Kids? Pets? We need more information to be really helpful...
Best of luck in your search.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also use google maps and in the search bar, put rv parks and campground near orlando fl. Click search. It will bring the orlando area up with most of the campgrounds shown. When you click on it, many will bring up info and there will be a link to connect to the parks website.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I checked Lake Louisa SP near Clermont and they have one day here and one day in another site. It would be difficult to get a specific site for a week plus.

You need to look at private campgrounds because there are plenty within a short drive to Orlando. Here are some suggestions.

Cypress Campground in Winter Haven. We've stayed here and it's not bad. It's south of I-4 not far from US-27.
http://www.cypresscampground.com/

Woods-n-Water in Mt. Dora.
http://www.woods-n-watertrails.com/

And here's several in the Clermont area via RV Park Reviews.com. Some of these are well rated (the higher the rating usually the nicer the park).
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/florida/clermont

Do some research. I'm sure you will find something to your liking. Good luck!
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbird season varies some. Many of our Canadian snowbirds will get here prior to our Thanksgiving and head home before their federal tax day, April 15. Then the snowbirds from the NE split into two groups in this area of south Florida, with one group getting here just prior to Christmas and the others come down just after the first of the year.

Most of the snowbirds in this area are not using RVs, but lease or own homes, apartments and condos. Some drive here but others fly in as they leave a vehicle or two here while they are back north foe the summer. The car train is very popular as it will take you and you vehicle to northern Virginia or back down.
North or south of this area on the Treasure Cosst, there are numerous campgrounds so the snowbirds in RVs will be in those areas. There are areas and campgrounds south of here, Stuart, that cater to the French speaking Canadians, there are a couple of French language radio stations and newspapers.

Lot of verbiage to say most of the snowbirds are here in Florida basically November to mid April.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
When is Snowbird Season?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
You need to CALL the FL state park your interested in and see if they have walk-up sites available. They usually do. Try Silver Springs State Park. I have personal experience here of seeing multiple vacant sites over a holiday. I inquired at the ranger station when renting a canoe and they told me these were reserved for walk-ups - mot available for online reservations. The sites are huge and you can virtually drive through this state park using Google Street view.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried tropical palms in Kissimmee? Been there a couple times, nice resort and about 15-20 minutes from downtown.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Check out KOA Fort Summit, or Themeworld RV.
They are both located at the SW corner of I-4 and US27, about 30 west of Orlando.
The Themeworld campground accepts Passport America club, 50% off, with NO restrictions for time of year or length of stay,

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to say the Florida state parks are reserved so far in advance for the winter months. We are residents and have stopped trying. Seems like winter people get together and just swap sites every two weeks.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Christmas is a nice park if the location works. For a month I would take a look at what Tropical Palms has in Kissimmee, it is about a 10 minute drive south of EPCOT. The ocean side of Florida is only a couple of hours drive from Orlando with numerous campgrounds located there.
State parks may limit you to the length of stay allowed.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".