cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to rig a rain tarp without trees -- poles, maybe??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whenever we go camping in the Pacific Northwest, I am always impressed by the huge rain tarps that the experts rig up over their campsites. And after watching a few YouTube videos, I think I know how.

But in the off-season (in cooler weather), we often boondock in areas with few or no trees, and we have had a few "mud festivals" in rainy weather.

So my question is obvious (and there may be no solution): is there a way to rig up a rain tarp without trees, maybe using some sort of arrangement with poles? I have done a search and have come up empty, which is not a good sign.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
37 REPLIES 37

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is an example of the diagonal setup I am talking about, with a very big tarp:

Click For Full-Size Image.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
firemedic, I am talking about a really big rain tarp -- I've seen them set up at about 20 feet by 40 feet, with the central rope at a diagonal across the tarp. It forms a roof that sheds water and keeps the whole campsite dry. Those small gazebos don't have a big enough "footprint."

Keep those ideas coming! Maybe helium balloons??
About our trailer

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
Why not buy a portable shelter or gazebo?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two 10x10 or 12x12 pop ups will be easier and sloped for rain.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We did this with our pop-up many, many times. Lots of poles and lots of rope. Lay the tarp out, catch one corner with a pole and anchor the rope to the ground. Go to the opposite corner and do the same. Then the other 2 corners. Then the middle. Once standing, raise each pole one at a time until you get to the height you want. Yes ... it's a lot of work. I'd never do it again!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ised to carry about 10 colapsable aluminum poles. One weekend we had probably 250 sq ft under tarps. Still have the poles, but we now use self supporting folding canpopies.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
I use blue sky hooks they work great. I tried the red ones but they break easy

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Poles and ropes might work, just need to prepare for the wind and weight, they will happen.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.