cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to rig a rain tarp without trees -- poles, maybe??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whenever we go camping in the Pacific Northwest, I am always impressed by the huge rain tarps that the experts rig up over their campsites. And after watching a few YouTube videos, I think I know how.

But in the off-season (in cooler weather), we often boondock in areas with few or no trees, and we have had a few "mud festivals" in rainy weather.

So my question is obvious (and there may be no solution): is there a way to rig up a rain tarp without trees, maybe using some sort of arrangement with poles? I have done a search and have come up empty, which is not a good sign.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
37 REPLIES 37

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Their's several videos on YouTube how to make them,I used d ring/safety pins to put into the poles for the height adjustment.their no nuts to mess with with them,I think you would lose your tarp before you would break one of these poles,your right fits perfectly in the truck,

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ken, I am impressed -- you sound like you have actually tied a Prusik, and until today I had never heard of such a thing! I would probably use paracord for the Prusik. (I always carry a duffel bag full of various kinds of rope and cord in my truck, so I will experiment.)
About our trailer

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Larger PVC is a great idea for poles. It wasn't available for my scouting years.

Using a prusik; the cord that you make the prusik with needs to be 1/3rd the size of the rope you are going to rap.

Please post you new tarp setup in this thread if you can.

Thanks, KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
wecamp, that's a great idea! Is the PVC stiff enough to do the job? I guess there are different gauges of PVC -- I think Schedule 40 is thicker and sturdier.

The idea of using matching holes as a way of connecting them is really great -- instead of relying on a threaded connection or a slip fitting. Plus, with a little overlap between the outer bottom pole and the inside top pole, the joint would be stronger than if the pieces were end to end.

Five footer segments would fit perfectly into the bed of my truck.

This project is sounding more and more plausible, as long as the wind does not carry the whole thing away. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
This is an example of the diagonal setup I am talking about, with a very big tarp:

Click For Full-Size Image.

I often do this I have a bunch of poles I made out of pvc pipe ,can't remember the size off the top of my head.I think 1 1/2" and slid a 3/4" into it cut both to 5ft.Fully extended gives you about 10ft pole.drilled holes through both an inch apart so I can slide the smaller pipe up to the height I need and put a pin on of the holes to hole it in place.I put a pipe cap on the small pole drilled a hole in it and put a bolt in it put the bolt through an eyelets on your tarp gives you good anchorfor tie out lines.works for me hope it helps.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So the great link posted by ORbiker led me to this -- there is a knot called the Prusik knot that can be used at the corners of the diagonal tarp to secure the corners of the diagonal to the central guy rope. The advantage of this knot is that it can be slid (slidden?? slud?) along the central rope so that the tarp is properly tightened. In other words, it is adjustable.

Here is a good diagram of how to tie this knot, using a smaller cord that wraps around the thicker central rope:

Click For Full-Size Image.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phil, great idea! You are exactly right -- the awning poles can be swung down into what the manufacturer calls "carport position," although it would have to be a very small car. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But yes, I could anchor the trailer's awning poles to the ground -- then tie one end of the center rope to a bridle around those poles -- and then rig up an inverted "V" to support the other end of that rope, using a guy wire to apply outward tension to the top vertex of the V. I would then anchor the guy wire to a stake driven into the ground at an angle.

With the "diamond" pattern described above, I won't need to support the two corners of the tarp -- the tarp is stretched diagonally over the center rope, and the two triangular flaps extend out to the sides for drainage. Those flaps will also be guyed out to stakes on the sides.

I think this is going to work! I gotta try this out, the next time we go camping in the winter. You can bet there will be pictures and a report.
About our trailer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan,

I had to look far and wide at your past trip postings, but ... I FINALLY found a photo showing the entrance side of your Fun Finder X!

It looks like it has a built-in awning. If it's anything like ours, it's main metal legs don't have to be attached back down low on the trailer wall so as to form a triangle support shape with the awning. After the awning is out, it's metal legs can also be left hanging down vertically to rest on the ground and support the awning. Each leg should have a flaired metal foot with a hole or two in it for round metal stakes to be sunk into the ground to hold the legs along with anchor ropes - and hence rigidly support the two outer corners of the awning.

If your awning can be erected this other way .... couldn't you then use it's (now strongly supported and anchored to the ground) outer edge to use ropes to hold the corners of a larger tarp that can extend way out further .... and then use poles and rope/stake anchors to secure the furthest corners of this tarp?

Just a thought - when there's no trees nearby.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
First, very few tarps are going to hold up in a good wind storm. They are just not strong enough (or the ones that are cost an arm and a leg !).

Second, even a light shower, can cause a huge puddle in a suspended tarp. Try to set your tarp so that there is a natural tendency for rain to run off or be prepared to add extra supports under the sags when it rains.

The biggest problem with poles, is finding ones that are strong enough and long/tall enough and can be easily transported. 1" galvanized metallic electrical conduit is excellent, except for the transportation (8'-10' are hard to deal with). If you can find some place like a custom muffler shop that has the tools/dies to swage (compress/squeeze down) 1" pipe, you could cut the conduit in to more manageable sizes and just slip them together.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
This forum always makes me laugh, with its mix of very helpful and very non-helpful replies to posts :).

What I do is take the tarp down when I go to bed, so I do not have to worry about wind.

I have not yet needed a tarp in a place where there was nothing at all to tie to (base of a sagebrush, for a lean to effect?) But I've been meaning to get a couple poles just in case.

If you travel with a stepladder, it could double as a pole.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Try this site Government Liquidation. It is an auction site for surplus military items, including netting and tent poles. Most lots will come with both netting and poles but occasionally you will find just the poles, pole top spreaders, and accessories (stakes, rope, etc.) The camo systems are designed for use with or without trees.

BTW this particular lot is at Ft. Lewis for pick up.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could use one the portable garage canopies.. bigger than traditional canopy, but doesnt' take much longer to put up. I bought one for Mom on sale for under a hundred. this is the one I bought, but you can get larger ones too. I have seen several scout troops use one of these when camping, especially for a week or more camp.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

MrWizard
MH with awning
table and chairs go under the awning
i quit rigging tarps many years ago

with out trees
it takes many poles and ropes, more stuff than i want to carry and the put up take down, when using a PUP
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
firemedic, I am talking about a really big rain tarp -- I've seen them set up at about 20 feet by 40 feet, with the central rope at a diagonal across the tarp. It forms a roof that sheds water and keeps the whole campsite dry. Those small gazebos don't have a big enough "footprint."

Keep those ideas coming! Maybe helium balloons??

I was the king of tarps back when I was a Scoutmaster.I am Oregon bred on the wet side of the Cascades.

To put a a big tarp like you are talking about; you will need trees or something tall that you can put the ridge rope over at both ends. Most poles will not be strong enough.

HERE is a bunch of pictures of tarps
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Para-Wings. They are available from a number of manufactures/retailers in a variety of sizes. Perhaps not "Camp Sized", they are certainty big enough to cover a small tent as per your picture.
The biggest challenge though with pole supported tarp systems (of any type) is the anchors. If you don't have trees, you will need to use the ground. Traditional stakes are not very good when there is wind loading on the tarp. You could build dead men, but unless you have a convenient logs to bury, they might not be so good either. Consider building rock anchors (essentially, bags filled with rocks)
Hope this helps.