cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jacksonville, fl. Katherine Abbey park

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out there for the thanksgiving holiday weekend. Anyone been? Anything must see or do?I know there is a tree lighting in down town and some fireworks for that Friday. Our kids are 10 and 7, so we have to keep that in mind as well. Thanks for the input
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291
12 REPLIES 12

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes - bring your bikes. Great trails from easy to technical or just riding around this huge park. Ask for a map at the gate. Agree about St. Augustine if you have never been there. I may talk my wife into going there over Thanksgiving.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rede2travel
Explorer
Explorer
Take a side trip to St. Augustine for some of the best seafood in the area. Jacksonville Beach has several good seafood restaurants...ie..Metro Diner for breakfast, The Fish Company, or Safe Harbor Seafood at Mayport..and don't forget Singleton's...old but still good seafood, it's about 3 miles from Hanna Park next to the ferry....hope the shut down is over by the time you come because some of the suggested places are closed at this time. I taught school for 35 years right across from the entrance to Hanna Park and we walked there for many field trips. The nature trails and the bike trails are good.
Retired George & Retired wife Diane
2006 Ford F250 Lariat
2005 Keystone Sprinter 278 RLS

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Since you will be at Hanna Park, be sure to take the St. John's River Ferry when you go to Ft. Clinch and Kingsley Plantation. If you enjoy seafood, then Safe Harbor and Singleton's Seafood Shack, at the ferry landing and very close to Hanna Park are both good places to grab a lunch. Clark's Fish Camp, while a little bit of a drive from Hanna Park, is a destination in of itself. With stuffed animals from all over the world, alligators in the water around the building, and exotic food to sample, it is a place like no other.

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
We actually stayed at fort clich this summer for 2 nights on the way back from myrtle beach, that is a great fort! so we can check that one off. I will definitely look into the others you mentioned.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
Thanks all.. We already booked our site last month. Looks great, a couple of sites from the lake. I have bypassed through Jacksonville for 21 years in all my travels from tampa to the rest of the east coast and my hometown visits to NJ., but never stopped. So, I look forward to it.

The fall in Jacksonville is generally a good time to visit. Do visit Ft Clinch SP (Fernandina Bch), Kingsley Plantation NHS, Ft Caroline NHS and the St Augustine historical section when you are in the area. All offer much in the rich cultural history of the "First Coast". You can skip downtown and you won't miss much, just saying.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.. We already booked our site last month. Looks great, a couple of sites from the lake. I have bypassed through Jacksonville for 21 years in all my travels from tampa to the rest of the east coast and my hometown visits to NJ., but never stopped. So, I look forward to it.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
I am still wayne_tw wrote:

Kathryn Abbey is a city park that is very nice.

Hanna Park could be a real Gem if properly maintained. We live in Jacksonville and for the life of me, I can't get them to trim the local road canopy so we can exit our neighborhood without going around the long way, oh, another story.

We have a friend that loves Hanna and is always trying to get us to come. We always refuse because of the encroaching vegetation and low canopy trees. The other night, she told us of her use of loping shears just to get into her favorite spot at Hanna without damaging her new motor home.

There is lots of things to do within a short driving distance. Please use I-295 as your approach Jacksonville to lessen the traffic/headache effect, the Mathews Bridge linking I-95 to Arlington and the beaches was struck last week by a ship and is closed until further notice. I hope its fixed long before Thanksgiving.

I hope your visit is pleasant.

X2
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:

Hanna Park could be a real Gem if properly maintained. We live in Jacksonville and for the life of me, I can't get them to trim the local road canopy so we can exit our neighborhood without going around the long way, oh, another story.

We have a friend that loves Hanna and is always trying to get us to come. We always refuse because of the encroaching vegetation and low canopy trees. The other night, she told us of her use of loping shears just to get into her favorite spot at Hanna without damaging her new motor home.

There is lots of things to do within a short driving distance. Please use I-295 as your approach Jacksonville to lessen the traffic/headache effect, the Mathews Bridge linking I-95 to Arlington and the beaches was struck last week by a ship and is closed until further notice. I hope its fixed long before Thanksgiving.

I hope your visit is pleasant.

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
The kids might enjoy the Jax Zoo on the north side
RVn Full-time

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Some things to do in Jacksonville. I will let you google and decise what interests you.
Fort Clinch State Park
Kingsley Plantation
Fort Caroline National Memorial
Museum of Science and History
Cummer Museum

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Nice park, have stayed there before.
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
Nice park and reservations can be made by site. A adequate beaches and fishing.

Bob