Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Joshua Tree State Park

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We were hoping to spend some time at the Joshua Tree State Park in California, north side. We're in a 39ft class A motorhome with slides, towing. Does anyone recommend an RV park or campground in the area?

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, tsetsaf and enblethen. ๐Ÿ™‚

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Might look through this;
Joshua Tree blog

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great reference here: Joshua Tree Campgrounds
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, folks. ๐Ÿ™‚ This is all new to us, both the motorhome and the parks in the U.S., so I appreciate the input.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
29 Palms has a nice RV park, but inside the park is all dry camping and except for Cottonwood, probably has few spaces for such a large rig Between Yucca Valley and the town of Joshua Tree is Indian Cove Campground and would probably accommodate you, its also dry.
Even being dry, it is often filled up as it is a World renowned rock climbing area so very popular with the climbing crowd. Cottonwood has a nice long hike to an oasis and filled with spring flowers, but its miles from the "action".
Make sure you take the Ranch tour, (check in the Visitors Center in either Joshua Tree or 29 Palms, (BTW both are worth visiting) and if you like semi easy hikes, the Barker Dam hike and the Hidden Valley Hike are fun. BUT be sure to take lots of water.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
MamaGoose wrote:
Thanks, that's great! I bookmarked your blog, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

You are very welcome. We keep a separate journal for each year's trip and if you click on the "Doris' and Robbie's Travel Blogs" just above our picture, it will take you to the Home page where you can select which year you wish to peruse.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know anything about RV parks in the area but if you're a fan of old time westerns, check out Pioneertown...... ๐Ÿ™‚ FUN place to visit! Pioneertown
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
MamaGoose wrote:
Thanks. It looks like there are only two campgrounds out of the four that would accomodate our outfit within the park. We thought we might end up staying outside the park.

There's one called the Joshua Tree Lake RV and Campground. Any word on that one?

We have a 28ft. 11in, Jamboree Class C it fits but not easily, if you have a toad.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, there's a real nice private park with golf course in Twenty Nine Palms. If you have a toad, leave the RV in the RV park and enjoy JTNP with your toad.

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that's great! I bookmarked your blog, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
MamaGoose wrote:
There's one called the Joshua Tree Lake RV and Campground. Any word on that one?

We stayed there in May 2013 and you can see some of the campground on our blog.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. It looks like there are only two campgrounds out of the four that would accomodate our outfit within the park. We thought we might end up staying outside the park.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a National Park, by the way. Cottonwood CG, on the south side, has room for big rigs, but we found that there was more to do on the north end of the park. I don't know if Jumbo Rocks CG will accommodate a big rig, but it is a lot more scenic than Cottonwood. Bring your own water!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is several campgrounds along Park Rd inside the National park.
Joshua Tree national Park
Most do not have any water/dump station

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker