cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Key Largo question....

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, new here but i have been lurking for a while. Next Spring we are heading to Florida for a few weeks with stops in Cocoa Beach, Fort Myers Beach, and the keys. We want to spend one night(or maybe more if we get the urge) in Key Largo for some snorkelling.
My question is to anyone that has stayed there before, what do you like as far as campgrounds? There are a few and i'm finding it hard to decide. Some info, it's just me and the wife in a 33 Infinty. Some quiet in the campground, A little nightlife outside of it. Any suggestions?
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL
7 REPLIES 7

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can get into John Pennekamp that would be the best bang for the buck.
If not try Key Largo Campground.

As far as snorkeling goes, there is no good snorkeling along the shore line of any of the Keys, and that includes what has been posted above. All you will see are hand full of small fish.
You need to take a dive boat out to the reef for the good snorkeling.
Don't take the ones in the state parks. They are like cattle cars.
Take a private one like Quiescence. They only take six people per boat, and will move from one reef to another to make sure you have the best experience and give you individual attention.

We have been wintering in the Keys for the past fifteen years, so I speak from experience.
With that said, Bahia Honda has the best beaches.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Islandtime
Explorer
Explorer
At Bahia Honda, we have snorkled off of Loggerhead Beach. All kinds of cool things in the sea grass. Star Fish, and baby tropical fish.

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't get into Pennekamp try Point of View

pointofviewrvresort.com/

Nicest private place on the key, and brand new!

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
John Pennecamp in nice but you need to make your reservations now. They book up fast for high season, Nov-May. Also, there are a few private CGs that you can find on woodalls.com
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

RJ4
Explorer
Explorer
There wasn't anything to see along the shore. We took the boat through the sate park, I think it was about $30 each and approx 10 mile boat ride to the Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary. For us, it was amazing.
RJ
08 Gulf Stream Supernova 6372
12 Demco Kar Kaddy SS
11 Ford Escape Sport
12 Victory Cross Country Tour Motorcycle

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, Bahia Honda is a place i always thought was poor snorkelling but i would love to try it there. Can you access from shore or from boat only?
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

RJ4
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park - http://pennekamppark.com/. in Key Largo We walked to the snorkeling area. Further down the Keys, we stayed at Bahia Honda State Park and thoroughly enjoyed the snorkeling there. Both state parks offered snorkeling and the snorkeling at Bahia Honda was less crowded with an incredible reef. Either way you will enjoy your time in the Keys.
RJ
08 Gulf Stream Supernova 6372
12 Demco Kar Kaddy SS
11 Ford Escape Sport
12 Victory Cross Country Tour Motorcycle