cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake City Campgrounds - Tell me about the Good and the Bad

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we might try to spend a month or so in Lake City, CO - Talk to me about where to stay.

I have been before but did not stay in the town - Love it though ๐Ÿ™‚

IMHO it might be one of the last of the Undiscovered spots in Colorado? Well not Estes Park!

Where have you stayed what did you like not like - River and Town would be the Top Priorities - Almost bought a house there 12 years ago.

Give me your scoop,

TIA,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
13 REPLIES 13

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper, yeah, we have opened up many a CG over the years. Just found out our #1 CG in MD won't be open when we arrive in a few weeks.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Alright, you caused me to load up the map. It was Elk Horn that we stayed at. Nice enough spot. No reason not to go back there if returning to town. Our stay was 2010.

Veebyes,

You are the other Marylander - in your review you say you arrived before it was open - Early May? - seems as they like to think the season start May 15th and ends October 1st - Crazy, IMHO as they are missing what I'd consider a great time to be in the area.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alright, you caused me to load up the map. It was Elk Horn that we stayed at. Nice enough spot. No reason not to go back there if returning to town. Our stay was 2010.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Looks like we might try to spend a month or so in Lake City, CO - Talk to me about where to stay.

IMHO it might be one of the last of the Undiscovered spots in Colorado? Well not Estes Park!

Where have you stayed what did you like not like - River and Town would be the Top Priorities - Almost bought a house there 12 years ago.

Give me your scoop,

TIA,

Just bringing this back to the top of the Pile.

Seriously, with three Parks in town no one on RV.net has stayed there?

Would just like a couple of Opinions on the three in town.

Henson Creek RV Park
- on the Creek - seems to be mostly annual - not many trees - just a walk across the bridge to Town.

Elkhorn RV Resort - just on the edge of the mountains - north end of town - few trees - appears to be a nice spot - need a Bike or a little longer walk into the main part of town, close to what looks like a tennis court, or a Community Center.

River Fork Campground - In town - 150' to the River - Foot bridge to ball fields - Trees - SMALL sites - Filled for most of the season - Easy walk into town - Across from the Fire Dept ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜ž

Only report is from another Maryland Local on Elkhorn,

Please......Help me OUT.

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHAT??? There's some part of CO you do not know about. I've enjoyed a USFS CG south of South Fork where you can walk down to the river...Highway Springs or a little further south, Park Creek USFS CGs.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, can't remember the CG name offhand but we stayed in one in town that backed right on a hillside. We arrived, no reservations, early in season, not even open yet but got owner on phone who told us to pick a spot & would see us the next day.

X2 on taking care on Slumgullion Pass. It is a nasty one. Locking in a lower gear & not riding the brakes did not save us from overheating the brakes & getting stopped just as the fade & smoke was starting. Be very very careful. Even coming up from the south you think the hill will never end. The top is real close to the tree line.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

terry_thiessen
Explorer
Explorer
We like Woodlake park.about 4 or 5 miles out of town. Fills up fast we always make reservation for the next year while we are there. See the same people every year. Rode ATV there for about 14 years found new trails, mines, cabins every year we were riding. Several ghost towns in the area also. While you are there try the bakery awsome sweet rolls. We took our kids there when they were young .now my son and his wife bring their daughter there. Our daughter also spends a week with us there. The deer roam the town like they own it . Had to miss last year because of heart problems cant wait to load up camper and get back. Of all,the places we have camped at in the last 49 years this is by far our favorite.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Pave what?

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel *, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Busskipper wrote:

Give me your scoop,

TIA,

Hey Bill,

It's been a while, and would certainly go back to Castle Lakes Campground Resort. Not close to town, but not far away either. Wooded sites, lakes on the property, sort of rustic but with amenities.

Claim to fame? 4x4 trails. The area there around Lake City has a lot to offer. Castle Lakes is on the Cinnamon Pass Rd, so that would be a great place to check out. IIRC, there's Jeep/ATV rentals available in Lake City. Which is tiny. Not a lot there, artsy craftsy stuff.

What didn't I like? Coming down Slumgullion Pass!! That is one steep hill. I'd come in from the north/Gunnison side if/when I go back.

Thanks Thom,

Will definitely check it out, DW want to be able to walk around town - will need lots of things to do with the Grands - Will teach them to fish - Cast with a fly rod, might even introduce them to Fish Cleaning - not a chance - there are a few parks that touch the town (Think there are even a few paved roads in town:-)

Thanks for the Info,

edit - Slumgullion Pass, elevation 11,530 ft (3,510 m), is a mountain pass in Colorado traversed by State Highway 149 east of Lake City. The north side has the steepest grade of any continuously paved road in Colorado (9%), but the pass does not close often in winter because snow plows clear the route regularly during this season. It has a few switchbacks and tight spots, but other than that, most travelers will find it an easy, scenic route.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œYou should specify the state in the header,โ€

Oh come on, AGE. You only read headers? OP did fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:

Give me your scoop,

TIA,

Hey Bill,

It's been a while, and would certainly go back to Castle Lakes Campground Resort. Not close to town, but not far away either. Wooded sites, lakes on the property, sort of rustic but with amenities.

Claim to fame? 4x4 trails. The area there around Lake City has a lot to offer. Castle Lakes is on the Cinnamon Pass Rd, so that would be a great place to check out. IIRC, there's Jeep/ATV rentals available in Lake City. Which is tiny. Not a lot there, artsy craftsy stuff.

What didn't I like? Coming down Slumgullion Pass!! That is one steep hill. I'd come in from the north/Gunnison side if/when I go back.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
You should specify the state in the header, lots of which have a Lake City. Florida for one. We were in and out of Lake City CO several times this summer but we were based in Ouray so I cannot comment on the cg. It has great access to the Alpine Loop for which a 4WD is good but a lot of it can be down without one. The town itself was scattered all over the landscape, shopping would be pricey I'm sure and there are no nearby larger towns. We did walk around what you might call the town center, it is a typical western tourist town. Artsy Crafty stores abound.

``````

Sorry I always forget the Colorado part - Not a Florida type person.

IMHO, it is at the base of some of the best 4X4 trails in the country - some of the Greatest most Beautiful mountains I have ever seen/driven in/enjoyed.

Thanks - I edited the post - would not fit in the header.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should specify the state in the header, lots of which have a Lake City. Florida for one. We were in and out of Lake City CO several times this summer but we were based in Ouray so I cannot comment on the cg. It has great access to the Alpine Loop for which a 4WD is good but a lot of it can be down without one. The town itself was scattered all over the landscape, shopping would be pricey I'm sure and there are no nearby larger towns. We did walk around what you might call the town center, it is a typical western tourist town. Artsy Crafty stores abound.

``````
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper