cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake Erie Camping

miller2540
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a recommendation for a campground on Lake Erie in Ohio? We have a 31 ft. Class C motorhome.
13 REPLIES 13

pegdiver
Explorer
Explorer
East Harbor and Maumee Bay are very nice. Maumee sites tend to be much more private with bushes between most of the sites. East Harbor has some full hookup sites. Maumee has only 30 amp electric. Been to Geneva but really didn't care to go back - no real reason...
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F with 2012 Jeep Liberty toad.
Old - 1999 32' Adventurer (no slides) with Grand Vitara toad (105,000 miles!)
Pride 3 wheel mobility scooter
Only 3 states to go in the USA, Camped in most of Canada and 4 states in Mexico too!

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
four22 wrote:
I grew up going to East Harbor State Park near Sandusky. I haven't been there in years but it was always a great campground.

Clickey

Have always loved camping at East Harbor! Always recommended!!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Put in Bay is nice, it is also a college student type tourist trap. It is a vehicle permitted Mackinaw Island. Bars tee shirt stores candy sales bad food and lot of drunks.

Want to stay on an Island go to Kelly Island State Park. Kelly also has Glacier Groves for those interested.

For kids and young adults Cedar Point is a must see.

Tom Trostel wrote:
Put-In-Bay is a wonderful place but it's not cheap to camp there. Miller Ferry runs from Catawba, OH and charges $16 for a car and $34 for a large trailer plus $7 per person one way. So getting there and back is $114 for us. ๐Ÿ˜ž

ferry rates

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Put-In-Bay is a wonderful place but it's not cheap to camp there. Miller Ferry runs from Catawba, OH and charges $16 for a car and $34 for a large trailer plus $7 per person one way. So getting there and back is $114 for us. ๐Ÿ˜ž

ferry rates

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maumee State Park near Toledo is very nice also. I'd go with Geneva SP over East Harbor as my first choice.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
miller2540 wrote:
We recently moved to Lorain County and enjoy driving along the lake. We have heard of campgrounds on the islands but need to know about the cost of getting there by ferry and the limit of our length. We are members of Coast to Coast and Good Sam, so using them is a possibility. Hopefully with kids back to school we'll find some open campsites. All of your ideas are appreciated

There are some nice ones - some even have full hookups - there are at least 15 state parks in Ohio with full hookups that I know of
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
a little more information.. Ohio and Lake Erie.. has 150 miles of contact.

west of Toledo to East of Cleveland.

Ohio State Parks, Commercial campgrounds.

Who knew that they moved the lake to west of Toledo
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

miller2540
Explorer
Explorer
We recently moved to Lorain County and enjoy driving along the lake. We have heard of campgrounds on the islands but need to know about the cost of getting there by ferry and the limit of our length. We are members of Coast to Coast and Good Sam, so using them is a possibility. Hopefully with kids back to school we'll find some open campsites. All of your ideas are appreciated

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
a little more information.. Ohio and Lake Erie.. has 150 miles of contact.

west of Toledo to East of Cleveland.

Ohio State Parks, Commercial campgrounds.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
four22 wrote:
I grew up going to East Harbor State Park near Sandusky. I haven't been there in years but it was always a great campground.

Clickey

And it still is a great park ๐Ÿ™‚

four22
Explorer
Explorer

Clickey

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Geneva! Also, a great paved bike bath along the lake shore, a restaurant/ convention inn and marina at the far end. Really nice sites! We parked our 37 ft Class A there with no problems.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geneva State Park is nice. You can walk to the lake from the CG. Nice wide sites, though no trees, etc. between them, so they aren't very private. Asphalt pads, grassy sites, trees along the back of the sites for shade. Electric hookups for many, if not all, sites. There should be room in many of them for your rig. I don't recall any pull-throughs, so you'd need to disconnect a toad before setting up camp.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375