cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake Erie / Kelly's Island

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
There is a thick frost on the ground this morning and it already has me thinking about next camping season. Each year, we take the kids on a week or two vacation in June when they get out of school. Last year, we did a two week trip visiting family in NW Iowa, then to the Missouri River to do some walleye fishing and then Black Hills.

We are beginning to start thinking about next summer. We are interested in camping on Kelly's Island and visiting Cedar Point. Cedar Point Campground seems very nice however by the time I pay for 3 nights camping, 4 two day passes it was nearly $1,000. So, to stay within budget, I have been looking at Kelly's Island.

My thoughts are to stay on the island 5-6 night. On a couple of those days, we would jump on the ferry and head to Cedar Point and Put In Bay.

What are your thoughts about camping on Kelly's Island? Is it a pain to get on and off the ferry? How is camping on the island?
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
15 REPLIES 15

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
I have made many visits to Cedar Point over the years and I can tell you that staying at the Cedar Point campground is the only way to go.

You don't have to drive to the park every morning, contend with the traffic, pay for parking, and walk across the huge parking lot to stand in line. The campground has it's own park entrance right there, you can walk to it or take the free shuttle. You get in to the park an hour early. You can break for lunch at your camper, avoiding the pricey and not exactly gourmet park fare. Younger kids who get tired and/or cranky can be taken back to the camper for a nap. Dad can go take a break if he gets tired or cranky. The price of the campsite seems high, but when you add up extra fuel, daily parking, and park meals, you don't save anything, and the convenience factor cannot be emphasized enough. Resort guests also receive better pricing on admission, IIRC.

If you arrive mid-afternoon, you can get the half price evening passes that run from 5PM to close. Then get up in the morning, eat a leisurely breakfast, stroll over to the gate and hang out until they let you in. Early afternoon, have lunch at your campsite, maybe a quick dip in the campground pool--not crowded, campers only. At the end of the day, walk out the gate, ride the shuttle if your feet are sore (they will be), and your camper is right there waiting. You can spend multiple days in the park and never get in your car, if you don't want to.

I would never consider doing it any other way.

Well said staying at Cedar Point CG is all about convenience and maximizing your time in the park!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Great feedback. I think it will be best to stay a few days at East Harbor and a couple of days at Cedar Point. Great feedback. Thank you!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I have made many visits to Cedar Point over the years and I can tell you that staying at the Cedar Point campground is the only way to go.

You don't have to drive to the park every morning, contend with the traffic, pay for parking, and walk across the huge parking lot to stand in line. The campground has it's own park entrance right there, you can walk to it or take the free shuttle. You get in to the park an hour early. You can break for lunch at your camper, avoiding the pricey and not exactly gourmet park fare. Younger kids who get tired and/or cranky can be taken back to the camper for a nap. Dad can go take a break if he gets tired or cranky. The price of the campsite seems high, but when you add up extra fuel, daily parking, and park meals, you don't save anything, and the convenience factor cannot be emphasized enough. Resort guests also receive better pricing on admission, IIRC.

If you arrive mid-afternoon, you can get the half price evening passes that run from 5PM to close. Then get up in the morning, eat a leisurely breakfast, stroll over to the gate and hang out until they let you in. Early afternoon, have lunch at your campsite, maybe a quick dip in the campground pool--not crowded, campers only. At the end of the day, walk out the gate, ride the shuttle if your feet are sore (they will be), and your camper is right there waiting. You can spend multiple days in the park and never get in your car, if you don't want to.

I would never consider doing it any other way.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Ferry rates are killer:

http://www.kelleysislandferry.com/fares.htm

26 Feet $75 RT you have to be 50 feet or more.

bgradert wrote:
Thank you! Nothing is cheap anymore!

I wanted to get the "island camping experience" but as you all have mentioned, it is pricey. Perhaps East Harbor is best option. From what I read on rv.net, East Harbor is a popular place to stay.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
You would be better served and cost effective to make early reservations at East Harbor. Make early res an it fills quickly. Kelly's is a nice day trip you can see it all in a day. Put In Bay is another nice day trip. Like Macanac Island, tee shirt and candy stores but with motor vehicles. Rent golf carts at both locations. Get a charter out of Port Clinton for Walleyes they also have head boat charters for less cost. If you like Cheese there is a Cheese sore with any type cheese you could wish for. Cedar Point is all in the same area. Nice park ride lines will wear humans out. Kids don't seem to tre put as we humans do.

bgradert wrote:
There is a thick frost on the ground this morning and it already has me thinking about next camping season. Each year, we take the kids on a week or two vacation in June when they get out of school. Last year, we did a two week trip visiting family in NW Iowa, then to the Missouri River to do some walleye fishing and then Black Hills.

We are beginning to start thinking about next summer. We are interested in camping on Kelly's Island and visiting Cedar Point. Cedar Point Campground seems very nice however by the time I pay for 3 nights camping, 4 two day passes it was nearly $1,000. So, to stay within budget, I have been looking at Kelly's Island.

My thoughts are to stay on the island 5-6 night. On a couple of those days, we would jump on the ferry and head to Cedar Point and Put In Bay.

What are your thoughts about camping on Kelly's Island? Is it a pain to get on and off the ferry? How is camping on the island?

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! Nothing is cheap anymore!

I wanted to get the "island camping experience" but as you all have mentioned, it is pricey. Perhaps East Harbor is best option. From what I read on rv.net, East Harbor is a popular place to stay.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
bgradert wrote:

Your plan to stay at Kelly's is doable but not a whole lot cheaper than just staying at Cedar Point once you add in ferry cost.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
East Harbor State Park

X2
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

buckeyebob
Explorer
Explorer
i live in sandusky ohio,kelleys island state park is small and the ride over is pricey.you might be better off camping at east harbor state park in marblehead ohio.we have cedar point,kalahari water park,etc,you could always do day trips to kelleys and put in bay,take your bikes and ride the jet express!!!

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
East Harbor State Park may be a good option for you.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

shayerk
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at the Cedar Point campground with our kids when they were school-age. Loved Cedar Point amusement park! Great roller coasters. The campground was wonderful but pricey.
Craig and Karen Shayer
32' Winnebago Adventurer

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Kelley's Island Ferry rates - one way; adults $10, kids 5-11 $6.25, trailer 20 ft. $65, trailer 25 ft. $75.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you had best start a spreadsheet.

There isn't anything inexpensive anywhere in the Erie Islands.
The boat ride for a coach to Kelly's isn't cheap and the crampgrounds know you already paid for the boat ride plus the head count.

Start adding up the samolians now and then make the choice. As I have been involved in keel boat racing for years, I keep getting stuck in those places and they are all tourist traps that see you coming......

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine why anyone would even consider Cedar Point but to each his own. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visit there.