cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake Superior great circle tour

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to go around Lake Superior this summer. Was thinking of late August into early September. Other option would be early July to early August. Which would be better? How are bugs, weather and crowds at those times?
19 REPLIES 19

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on not much to see on the Canadian side. We traveled all across the north shore and got a glimpse of Lake Superior a couple of times.
I have our trip outlined in MS Word and could send it to you if you send me a PM with either your personal email or snail mail address.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Every time I visit the UP during the green months, there's been lots of mosquitoes, and they're on you fast... not much you can do but bath in bug spray and enjoy the beauty of the area.

Near as all this is to me, I don't have much other information... take it for granted I suppose. I'm considering a circle tour of the UP, something like this:

Subscribed to hear from folks more knowledgeable ๐Ÿ™‚

That looks like a great trip. I used to live in Gladstone, MI and I think your route will take you to most of the neat areas. Be sure to stop at Tahquamenon Falls State Park and Seney National Wildlife Refuge in central UP.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would do late August/Early September.
The weather is still very nice.
There will be Less people on the American side once school starts, especially on the Minnesota shores.
Don't wait too late into September because once the leaves start changing, Hwy 61 (the North Shore Scenic Drive National Scenic Byway) becomes a traffic nightmare. Last year in late September, traffic heading down the shore at the end of the day was backed up (at a standstill) with leaf peepers from Two Harbors all the way back through the tunnels - a distance of over 4 miles.

There are lots of great State Parks and waterfalls on the Minnesota North Shore. Eight state parks in a row going up the shore. In Wisconsin, there is the Apostle Islands national Lakeshore. In the UP of Michigan there are a lot of great spots to visit: Porcupine Mts state park, the Keweenaw Peninsula, Pictured Rocks National Seashore, and of course, the Soo Locks.

I don't want to badmouth our Canadian friends, but I have to agree with moebedick - there isn't much to see once you get on the Canadian side.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I visit the UP during the green months, there's been lots of mosquitoes, and they're on you fast... not much you can do but bath in bug spray and enjoy the beauty of the area.

Near as all this is to me, I don't have much other information... take it for granted I suppose. I'm considering a circle tour of the UP, something like this:

Subscribed to hear from folks more knowledgeable ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
We went around Superior two years ago in mid July. Mosquitos,road construction and very little to see on most of the route once you enter Canada. Western coast was very nice. I wouldn't bother with the Canadian side.