cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for RV park west of Wash DC near train to city

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a RV park on the west side of D.C. that is near train transportation into the city. Thanks, Lee
23 REPLIES 23

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at Millersville, MD KOA, they have a shuttle that brings you and picks you up for the train into DC.

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Cherry Hill, despite my desire to stay in Virginia. It was a good urban place for a base and the staff is very good at playing tourist guides. Not sure why we didn't stay in Va., my wife was researching campgrounds.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Consider Lake Fairfax Park, near Reston, VA. They have camping, but you do have to drive a little to get to the closest Metro Train. We stayed here several years ago. We were quite pleased. It's a very nice county run park, so there is a lot more there than just a campground. Click here. select the "camping" link.
The Metro now goes to Reston so it is actually very close to Lake Fairfax Park.

2.4 miles to walk - 3.3 miles to drive

Good luck and have fun!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... a lot of great options. We only knew of Cherry Hill. This is one trip we will want to make in the next couple of years while our daughter is still home. Seeing all these different options is refreshing. Kind of gives you different options based on your needs....awesome. Thanks guys!
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for taking the time to comment! Lee

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
carl2591 wrote:
Good to know.. it looks like a 2.5 mile hike and was thinking about adult scooters as a good way to get around the DC area as well.. They have large wheel, while like the one kids ride, are a bit larger and the wheel roll better over cracks, rough payment etc. They fold up and you can get a carry case.

Helps cut down on lots of walking and some what faster than (fairly brisk) walking speed.

There's a hiking trail from the D loop (near campsite 145) to Good Luck Road. The total distance from the start of that trail to the College Park Metro station is 1.7 miles according to the park's literature. Riding bikes (and scooters and horses) is not permitted on the hiking trail to the road, but from there on it's around a mile of sidewalks where the scooter would be in its native habitat.

There is also a free bike storage room at that Metro station; to get access one needs to sign up online with one's farecard. I didn't bother doing that for the week I was there, partly because I was returning at night but didn't have lights for my bike.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
dalenoel wrote:
Cherry Hill Park is the only one I know. Close to transportation right from the park. The cost might seem high but they have everything.

X2
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Consider Lake Fairfax Park, near Reston, VA. They have camping, but you do have to drive a little to get to the closest Metro Train. We stayed here several years ago. We were quite pleased. It's a very nice county run park, so there is a lot more there than just a campground. Click here. select the "camping" link.

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another West option for you.I used Harper Ferry KOA for a year an a half. Its 10 minutes from Brunswick line MARC trains. You have 2 train stations very close to the CG. Tickets are cheaper in Brunswick than the West Va stops. All Brunswick line trains end at Union Station. Monthly Rate when I was there was $550 plus electric it may be higher now. They are open year around. Here is a link to one in Frederick Md walking distance to MARC Frederick Trains.
http://evergreenvillage.myshopify.com/
1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good to know.. it looks like a 2.5 mile hike and was thinking about adult scooters as a good way to get around the DC area as well.. They have large wheel, while like the one kids ride, are a bit larger and the wheel roll better over cracks, rough payment etc. They fold up and you can get a carry case.

Helps cut down on lots of walking and some what faster than (fairly brisk) walking speed.

http://tinyurl.com/hczuffs (bummed to see the price had increased from 59 to 83 dollars on amazon)

hope to get back to Greenbelt and have a couple day to hang out. ๐Ÿ™‚

DrewE wrote:
I stayed at Greenbelt NP recently. It's about a half hour (fairly brisk) walk to the College Park metro station. The park itself seemed safe enough to me, and the general neighborhood is not bad. No hookups, but the fees are very, very reasonable at $16 per night. When I was there over Thanksgiving week, the campground was nearly empty; I could not see another camper from my site for all but the first night.

Greenbelt is north or northeast of the city center, but is quite readily accessible from the beltway.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
LarryJM wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Bull Run Regional Park is west of DC appears to be about 20 minutes from VRE train station. Maybe a viable solution?

There is also a Park and Ride Lot at US29/Stone Rd. which is about 2 miles from Bull Run which connects to the Vienna Metro also with maybe other METRO buss service. The VRE station is in Manassas and IIRC terminates at Union Station Downtown. I would recommend sticking with the METRO vs VRE system for access to the various areas of D.C.

Larry

Thanks Larry. Bull Run seems well positioned. However I am not familiar enough with the area to comment on train service. Although I do know the metro connects to Union Station.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Likely a little further out than what you require, but look at the Front Royal area. Several there and the scenery is much better. I don't know if there is any kind of commuter system there or not, but doubtful
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
South and slightly west of DC is the Fredericksburg KOA. This is our first stop when southbound from NY. Quiet safe CG restaurants and stores nearby. We never went to DC from there but they say the VRE train is nearby along with bus tours. Call them to find out & Happy Trails

http://koa.com/campgrounds/fredericksburg-washington-dc/local-area/
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Bull Run Regional Park is west of DC appears to be about 20 minutes from VRE train station. Maybe a viable solution?

There is also a Park and Ride Lot at US29/Stone Rd. which is about 2 miles from Bull Run which connects to the Vienna Metro also with maybe other METRO buss service. The VRE station is in Manassas and IIRC terminates at Union Station Downtown. I would recommend sticking with the METRO vs VRE system for access to the various areas of D.C.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL