cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manatee state park in Chiefland,Fla

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I just made our reservations for next July 1-6 at this park. I was wanting any info good or bad about the park and about things to see and do around the area. We will be in site 79. It will be just is and our little traveling buddy our little dog. I have red all the reviews just wanted to hear from anyone on here that has been. It has been almost 30 years since I have been down to this park. Thanks in advance
21 REPLIES 21

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I was there this past April. The park is nice, and the area around the springs is really neat with the boardwalk and kayak rentals. The water is 72 degrees year round but in reality it's cold as hell. I jumped in for about two minutes just to say I did it..... Watch out for all the water snakes. From what I saw the highlight of Chiefland itself was the Walmart store.... Not much else to do. TONS of ticks in the park too!!!! And definitely grab some barbecue from the vender by the springs.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Manatee Springs SP, correct? If so:

Here's another photo of your site (although I kind of like the one on R/A with the guy sitting at the picnic table). ๐Ÿ™‚

You didn't mention what you enjoy doing, so it's difficult to recommend stuff.

You'll be about 40 miles (+/-) from Paynes Prairie and the wild horse area if you like wild life walks. It's not in the main park.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys. I have read the reviews and wanted info from here also.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Read reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com they are mixed. As many Florida State Parks it is rustic and beautiful. Roads are sand and sites are sand. The springs are gorgeous with nice swimming area. Concession has food and rents kayaks and canoes. It's a wooded park so getting satellite may not be possible. There are hiking trails but watch for ticks. Cedar Key is a nice drive for lunch or dinner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant. It has a small beach at the city park. Another small fishing village is Horseshoe Beach. Not much else to do in the area.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

PegLW
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed here twice in the last two years, the first time for a whole two weeks. We loved it. We were in Site #94 in the Hickory Loop. We have a 35' fifth wheel and that site is very spacious. The road into the campsites is narrow and winding with trees very close to the edges. You just have to go slow and watch everything at all times. Sort of like threading a needle.

Lots of walking trails, the boardwalk to the Swanee River is great as are the springs. Swimming is open nearly all the time as the water is always the same temperature.

The park is only 6 miles from Chiefland, where you'll find almost everything you could need or want, including an excellent produce stand.

Enjoy your stay!
Dave and Peggy
2012 Open Range 345RLS
2015 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L turbo

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Private message sent thanks

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
NEXT July !!
Drop me a private message (I think this site has that) and I'll be happy to scout it out for you sometime.....if it EVER quits raining that is.

Always looking for excuses for a motorcycle ride.