cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memphis to Denver and beyond?

jdphillips73
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are planning a month long trip westward from Memphis in our quest to eventually visit all 50 states and points of interests along the way. We took a month-long east coast trip in 2010 and have visited all states east of the Mississippi river (except south carolina).

Anyway, We would like to take a trip and park in colorado, and have day trips to any surrounding areas. We are open to staying a few nights here, and a few nights there along the way.
Any advice on must visit places, routes, campgrounds, national parks, etc... is much appreciated.

thanks,
jd
2005 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab 6.0, 4.10 gears (300hp/360torque/10,800 towing capacity

TV- 2013 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 281QBLX (5400 dry weight)
Ava-Wife
James-Toddler
2 REPLIES 2

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
You've probably been to Missouri, but if not you could plan your route to go up through Springfield or Branson, then into Kansas (we'll get to Oklahoma later). One route is to follow 400 US 54 across southern Kansas. US 54 will cut back across Oklahoma into Texas and then New Mexico at Clayton. US 64 across New Mexico to Raton where you would pick up I-25 over Raton Pass--a very good introduction to mountain pass driving. It is one of the "easy" passes.

I'll just choose one of the many possibilities in Colorado: the Salida/Buena Visa Area. From there you could move on over to Gunnison, and then to Ouray. From there you could backtrack (avoid the temptation to continue south out of Ouray on US 550) to Colorado Springs area.

Let's see: Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado. If you still have time . . . Well I'll save that for another time.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, parking in any given western state is not the ideal way to visit other states around it. These states are a lot bigger than eastern ones (yes, even bigger than NY). That said, some places in Colorado that are worth seeing (and others will add many more, I'm sure):
Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods - Colorado Springs
Rocky Mt. Nat'l Park - Estes Park
Royal Gorge (if it's repaired after the fires) - near Pueblo
Durango-Silverton narrow gauge RR and Mesa Verde NP - Durango is a good base for these
anywhere up in the mountains (lots of areas)

That's just for starters, and just in Colorado. IMO, it will take you many months of month-long trips to see the western states. One month each ought to do it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375