cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boston Area

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tried to piggy back this question on another thread, so I'll start a new one.
How many days to see the History stuff around Boston, you know, Concord/Lexington, Paul Revere house, Freedom Trail, that kind of stuff. I know you could probably spend a month there, but can most/all of the history stuff be done in 4-5 days? :?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
12 REPLIES 12

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any surface parking lots in or around the Boston historic area - no garages - one that I could park a Class B in safely for the day? Or adjacent to the "T"?

Most of the "T" parking areas are garages. How tall is the B? No open parking left in the city-when they took the El train structure down they turned it all into greenway. Looks lovely but took away a lot of parking. However, there is at least one, if not two, garages that have oversized parking areas. Google "Boston Parking Garages" and it will come up with a list of them. Parking heights might be listed but they are manned most of the time so you can call and ask. The other option is parking in the oversized area at Logan, but then you'd have to get into the tourist area. Easily done by cab.

On edit: There's a place called "Hilton's Tent City" over near North Station and the old Boston Garden. There used to be open lots over there. Call Hilton's and ask if they are still there. You are a bit outside the area where you want to be, but again, you should be able to take a taxi. No guarantee of availability in any of the areas but at least you know where to look.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
Are there any surface parking lots in or around the Boston historic area - no garages - one that I could park a Class B in safely for the day? Or adjacent to the "T"?

There are (used to be?) several large open parking lots with attendants, along the waterfront off of Summer Street going towards South Boston. With all of the new construction though, I don't know how many of the lots are still there.

As an aside that may not apply to you in particular but others may be interested, cars with Handicapped Plates or windshield Placards can park in any legal parking space on the street at NO charge. FREE parking, Mass. State law. I do it all the time when I find a metered spot.
Ray

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:

There are (used to be?) several large open parking lots with attendants, along the waterfront off of Summer Street going towards South Boston. With all of the new construction though, I don't know how many of those lots are still there.
Ray

Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

jdphillips73
Explorer
Explorer
we camped outside of boston in a state park... cant remember the name...google... but it was nice.

I also drove in boston on 2 separate occasions. Boston roads are not based on the "grid system" they are windy, curvy, turns, etc... just to stay on the same road. I missed a few turns, but managed without incident... except for parking outside of "Cheers" and got a ticket. I wrote the city of Boston and they dismissed it.

I am a Doctoral Student at the University of Boston... Highlights for me when im in Boston are visiting- Harvard University, Freedom trail, Cheers, Fenway Park, Gillette Stadium, MIT, etc...

you can get anywhere on the "T" Good luck!
2005 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab 6.0, 4.10 gears (300hp/360torque/10,800 towing capacity

TV- 2013 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 281QBLX (5400 dry weight)
Ava-Wife
James-Toddler

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The rule for driving in Boston is "One hand on the wheel, one hand on the horn".

That's now for the "amateur" ranking. It's one KNEE on wheel, one hand out the window giving the American salute, and the other hand clutching the Starbucks so as not to spill. :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Boston a number of times, stay at Minute Man CG and from there take the train into the city. We usually spend a week and can easily visit the points of interest in town during that time. Like Crowe says if you go to Lex/Concord you need a couple of extra days. Be prepared for a LOT of walking around Boston as there are so many places worth seeing but some are several blocks apart.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
The rule for driving in Boston is "One hand on the wheel, one hand on the horn".
Years ago, the Navy flew me into Logan Airport and I took a cab to my ship at South Annex. About 3 miles. I was a sobbing mass on the floor of the cab when I got there.
Take the subway.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
As a local, do NOT and I repeat do NOT drive the RV in the city. If you are nervous around traffic and craziness, do not drive the city at all. If you do stay at Normandy Farms you are not far from Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place. However, you are 45 minutes outside the city. Minuteman Campground is in Littleton, not Lexington, also about 45 minutes away. That's if there's no traffic, so keep this in mind when determining commute times. The T (public transit) is a good way to see the city and it is a very walkable city. In 5 days you can hit the highlights-will take at least 7-10 when you start adding Concord, Lexington and some of the other historical sites outside the city, mostly because of driving time.

Lexington/Concord - 1 day if you enjoy biking, you can go along the bikeway between the sites - Lexington Common to Concord Bridge

The bike path stops in Bedford-there isn't a maintained link to Concord. A trip to Minuteman National Historic Park is well worth the time, though.

Douglas Adams

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Look into a T pass - allows you to get to the different sites around Boston. http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/ - 7 day pass

Public Garden/ Boston Common - Freedom Trail starts near there at NPS Visitor Center

Lexington/Concord - 1 day if you enjoy biking, you can go along the bikeway between the sites - Lexington Common to Concord Bridge

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if I'd say "most all" could be done in that amount of time, as the more you learn, the more you find there is to see & learn! However, I think a 5-day timeframe would allow you to hit the highlights with enough time to enjoy & absorb some of the things you learn there. Well worth it.

BTW, Boston is a tough town to drive in, and I would NOT do it in an RV. Camp outside the city (Normandy Farms in Foxboro is nice, and Minuteman CG near Lexington gets good reviews) and take the "T" (commuter rail) in. Tickets aren't expensive and you can get most anywhere in the city with them and a little walking. It's a great city to walk in!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

NMDoyle
Explorer
Explorer
We did a five day trip to Boston a few years back. Not enough time! I would say at least 7 days. Don't miss Salem, neat tours available. We stayed at Normandy Farms, beautiful campground with nice staff!