cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan campgrounds with fishing boat rentals

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying to plan a trip to the lower penisula of Michigan in july for a week with full hookups, pet freindly and motorized fishing boat rentals. Looking for a boat at least 16 feet long with a tiller or larger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
http://lakeleelanaurvpark.com
Great fishing lake.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Barely in the L.P. yet is the Indian River area about 30-40 miles south of the Straits. An inland waterway that connects half a dozen good fishing lakes and swimming also. We like Burt Lakes State Park for a CG. It doesn't have FHU but bathouses are very good. Other FHU CG's in the area.

Then there's big and little Glen Lakes with good fishing and swimming about 30 or so miles west of Traverse City. Some FHU CG's in on the lake. At Elk Rapids about 30 miles north of Traverse City on Elk Lake, Lake Skemog, and Trout Lake also.

I already mentioned the West Michigan shoreline and connecting inland lakes from about Sugatuck north to the Traverse City area where they have about everything you could want. Gun Lake south of Grand Rapids, Higgins lake and Houghton Lake maybe a hundred miles east of Traverse City but they do get crowded. Gull Lake between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. There are so many that I could mention all over the state.

All will have the fish you named and the facilities/rentals you desire and some have big laketrout or browntrout also. Your kids would stop chattering for weeks if they hooked one of them!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick answers, I will check out those web sites. As far as a little more info, we are looking for something more of an inland lake anywhere in the lower peninsula fishing for bass, walleye, pike, perch. I am a lake St.Clare boater and have my opperators card which you don't need in michigan. Just looking for a good family campground to take the kids fishing for a week without having to drive eight hours or more from home. Thanks again.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
There also are many private owners of open boats with small outboards/tiller operated that will rent their boat to you for a day or so. Some CG's even have a list of these rentable boats near them. In most areas away from S.E. Michigan (the Detroit/Flint area) there's really not a problem renting a boat if it's not already rented or reserved of course.

Something to remember is that there are over 11,000 sizeable inland lakes in Michigan not including the vast Great Lakes and more than 38,000 miles of rivers and many are navigable. Hundreds of marinas and over a hundred harbors, so boating, both ownership and renting and boat use is very popular.

What might be more of a problem is finding a full hookup CG on the water that rents boats over 16 feet long tiller operated. Yes there are some but depends on where you are going to want to be.
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
For Michigan State Parks State Park Boat Rentals

Michigan Sport Rentals Michigan Sport Rentals

and you need to remember all of these listings are for only the businesses that participate in that website. Some may be with several groups and many will not join any group but be listed by the city or area you want to visit.

Here is a Google Search for Michigan Boat Rentals

This should be enough to keep you busy for awhile searching and pricing.

Dale
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
So many to choose from that you'll need to specify what general area or region.

Need more info from you!

If they don't rent right at/from the CG, there will be plenty of rental place choices in most areas not far from the CG as most rental places are on or close to water. Only makes sense! Are you going on and inland lake or the Great Lakes or one of the many navigable rivers or one of the chains of lakes waterways with the boat? Makes a big difference in what boat rental situation you'll find. Size/depth of boat, size of motor, and rental cost. 16' is OK on the Great Lakes on a calm day and staying within a mile or so of shore so you can get back or to land if a sudden storm should come up. Small motors push a boat slow so it takes time to get back. Not often but it does or can happen and the waves can get real big fast!

Have to watch the forecast for the day and ask questions if not sure. We've been boating from 18' to 34' both power and sail on the Great Lakes (mainly Lake Michigan for over 50 years) but on 4 of them as we live right on the West Michigan shoreline and have for 72+ years now, west of Grand Rapids, and it's a boating & camping etc vacation wonderland. There's also the big Grand River for 20 miles + going upstream that's bouyed all the way and Spring Lake for 7 miles. All are connected together and plenty deep enough for even a 50+ foot boat. There's also many bayous off but connected to the Grand River and Spring Lake you can get to with a 25' boat as the entrances are 4' deep or more.

Most rental places we see are for periods of 4 hrs (half day), full day, or by the week. However, we always bring our own. Only rented once and that was a pontoon boat in Branson, Missouri.