cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Minidoka Internment Camp near Twin Falls, Idaho

The_Barbarian1
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to visit the remains of the Japanese Internment Camp near Twin Falls Idaho in the summer of 2016 pulling my 36 foot 5th wheel trailer. If I had to, it appears I could drop the trailer near I-84 and highway 93 near the Flying J Plaza. But I would just like to keep moving north after our visit to Minidoka. So, has anyone pulled their rig into a parking space or area on the grounds? I have been searching Google Earth views and Minidoka Pilgrimage photos taken over the last several years to see a parking space, but I am unclear if I can slip in and out easily.
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLT Duramax 4x4 Crewcab
2014 Montana 3150 RL
6 REPLIES 6

The_Barbarian1
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke to a Ranger at the Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument - where there is a display regarding the Minidoka Internment Camp - but I am interested in visiting the actually site that is northeast of Twin Falls. Once I explained what I wanted to do he pulled up Google Earth to look at the site. There is a large tree that could interfere with turning into the site. We both saw it on Google Earth - but he stated that Google Earth was outdated - the tree had been removed. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner in an RV.
2014 Montana 3150 RL

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were there last spring, very interesting by the way. There were a couple of car/pickup spaces by the sign. I can't remember any place else or even along the shoulder of the road. We had our fiver parked at Rock Creek County Park in Twin and just day tripped out.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it has changed since were there, the visitor center is not at the camp but Hagerman, ID and there isn't a lot of parking there though I am sure they could tell you current situations. Unless there is a lot of visitors to the actual interment site, there should be room to park there even if it is alongside the road by the camp.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having set out my 35 footer in the parking areas at several parks and/or monuments (including the Bison Range) in order to drive the sites, I think you are underestimating the NPS personnel. Most of them understand RVs well.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

The_Barbarian1
Explorer
Explorer
When I posted the question last night they were not open - but I still plan on calling them. At the same time I am not sure if the person at the National Park Service is going to have "RV" eyes and be able to see the dangers of bringing a 5th wheel trailer on to the property without hitting something. Chances are that someone on this forum has rolled through this site or lives nearby.
2014 Montana 3150 RL

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just give them a call and find out what might be available?
208-933-4100