cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monthly rates at sun community park

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently staying at a Sun Community park. They have changed the way you pay your rent from paying your 6 months while you are here to paying 12 payments thru the year. The problem is if you pay money ahead and for some reason you can not come down you will not receive and money back that you have payed without using it for rent.
First of all could this be legal also if anyone on here is staying at a Sun park are they doing the same thing to you?
Thanks for all comments!
19 REPLIES 19

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Under the old system if the OP or guest has an issue and are unable to show up Sun Resorts is left with a vacancy, but more importantly lost revenue.
Under the new policy Sun Resorts is putting the health / vacancy risk on the guest. Why should Sun be left holding the bag or scrambling to find someone to to fill a vacancy if the reservation is cancelled.
There is really no issue as long as the site is occupied. If there is a huge risk factor involved the OP may want to stay somewhere else. Under the new policy the funds the OP is risking is his own vs. Sun Resorts assuming the risk.
Keep in mind you will never eliminate the risk of unforeseen vacancies. The question is who is going to assume/pay those risk. Being responsible for your own risk seems to be the better way.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Not missing his point.

The company/ campground used to do business one way. They changed their rules/ way of doing business.

He doesnโ€™t like the new rules. (And most of us agree that the new rules are not fair to some people)

That everyone understands.

What he, and others, have to understand is that is the right of the company to change the rules. The OP is a seasonal customer without any contract. He has no โ€˜rightโ€™ to require the company to not change their business model.

He has only the right of every customer to take their money to another business.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sun group is not on my "like" list, but it is their property and their rules.
Suck it up buttercup ๐Ÿ™‚ or go elsewhere.
Puma 30RKSS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think everyone is missing your point. The point is. Previously they paid nothing in the summer. When they went to the park in the fall, they paid their 6 months rent and left in the spring. Now that park won't take a 6 month payment when you arrive, they want you to make monthly payment all thru the summer when not there. If you have a health issue and cannot come, you will not be refunded your money. Under the old terms you wouldn't have paid anything so if you health kept you from coming again, you would not be out any money.
And he is right - most parks do not require you to pay anything other than a deposit of some type until you arrive, which will hold a site for you. You then pay the balance you owe to remain in the park for your specified time.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I understand you are not happy.

Is it legal? Iโ€™m absolutely certain the company has researched the law and it is legal.

The company obviously has had issues with cancellations and wants to get something for holding a site for a person, for having to take the site off the market. As western park owner said, there are legal differences between a monthly rent payment and a deposit. The company has chosen the monthly rent option.

You feel that you are a trustworthy repeat customer who would give maximum notice if you had to cancel the trip.

They wonโ€™t see it your way and you donโ€™t want to do it their way.

You are at an impasse.

As a seasonal renter, you really have no rights if the property owner decides to change the rules.

You have two options, neither of which you will not like.

A - Go along with the new policy and assume the financial risk should you not be able to make the trip.

B - Tell the company their policy is unacceptable and you will be booking next years stay at a different community/ park.

As a customer your only real option is to take your money elsewhere.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Sublet?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I think you need to post the Cancellation policy. Think about it.
Lets keep it simple. You pay for 6 months at $100 per month for your cost at $600. So, instead of paying that FULL $600 for your 6 months you only PAID $300 for your 6 months you stayed, because you still have 6 months to go. So, they are extending you free credit for 6 months. Now, IF you do not want to go there, you do not sign for the 12 months and do not go there for your normal 6 months, because you do not like their new policy. You go somewhere else. IF you will be there every year, it is a good deal. It all depends on their cancellation policy. I think they are trying to minimize the no shows and the cost of that when they turn people away due to reservations that are then cancelled. Doug

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
want-a-be wrote:
1968mooney wrote:
want-a-be wrote:
Been coming here for14 years, Sun has owned it for the last 4 we do not pay any rent for the time we are not here in the summer.
They are dividing our 6 month rent into 12 equal payments, the problem is they will have x amount of our dollars that we have paid in then if for some reason we canโ€™t come down they will not return your money!

Just pay it all at once. I bet they will not refuse it. If you do not want to go, don't. But don't pay if you are not going to go.

I think you are missing the point! They are wanting us to pay it monthly and yes I could pay it all at once, what I am saying is if they have our money and for some reason we can not come down to their park they will not return our money!
And I think you are missing their point. They absolutely do not want someone holding a reservation that they can cancel and get their money back. Instead of non-refundable deposits, they have opted for yearly leases. It seems you choices are to either find a park that has refundable deposits and secure a site at one of those or fly by the seat of your pants and secure a reservation at the park of your choice when you are sure you are going. The risk with the second option is you likely won't get your choice of sites and there is always the risk that they will be sold out. The choice is yours.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
What's the name of the park?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
want-a-be wrote:
We are currently staying at a Sun Community park. They have changed the way you pay your rent from paying your 6 months while you are here to paying 12 payments thru the year. The problem is if you pay money ahead and for some reason you can not come down you will not receive and money back that you have payed without using it for rent.
First of all could this be legal also if anyone on here is staying at a Sun park are they doing the same thing to you?
Thanks for all comments!

I am not an attorney but . . .

Do they have a written contract? What does the contract say? What state are you in? Laws differ by state. If your signed contract uses wording like "non-refundable" or "all sales are final" or "time is of the essence" and there are no higher precedent setting state laws that invalidate portions of the contract or the contract in it's entirety, chances are what they do is perfectly legal and you agreed to the terms of the contract when/if you read/signed/dated it. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but, reading/understanding the fine print has residual value.

Chum lee

hoosiermark
Explorer
Explorer
I think they are collecting "option" money from you. They are reserving a spot for you and charging you a fee "option" payment each month. When you use the site the option money is credited to your bill for the site. This is done all the time in real estate. You buy an option to possibly purchase a property in X months. You may pay the option once, monthly or whatever. If you buy the property, all or a portion is applied to the purchase price. If you decide not to buy, you lose your option money. They are running the risk you will not show up to complete the rental and want to encourage you to show up. If you have money to lose, you are less likely not to fulfill your reservation. Nothing illegal about protecting yourself as the campground owner.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
want-a-be wrote:
1968mooney wrote:
want-a-be wrote:
Been coming here for14 years, Sun has owned it for the last 4 we do not pay any rent for the time we are not here in the summer.
They are dividing our 6 month rent into 12 equal payments, the problem is they will have x amount of our dollars that we have paid in then if for some reason we canโ€™t come down they will not return your money!

Just pay it all at once. I bet they will not refuse it. If you do not want to go, don't. But don't pay if you are not going to go.

I think you are missing the point! They are wanting us to pay it monthly and yes I could pay it all at once, what I am saying is if they have our money and for some reason we can not come down to their park they will not return our money!

Then don't go. Find somewhere else to go. I doubt complaining on this forum will change their policy. The reason you have a RV is the option of going elsewhere.

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
1968mooney wrote:
want-a-be wrote:

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
want-a-be wrote: