cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moonshine Creek Campground, Balsam, NC

washley1
Explorer
Explorer
Just for info, anyone tried this one out? On line reviews looked good, and we have a spot reserved in late July early August.
8 REPLIES 8

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
If you are not locked in to this reservation, here is an alternative not far away:

Holly Cove RV

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Rating it on a scale of 1 - 10 this place gets a -49. Cranky permanent residents, poor and unfriendly management, poor interior roads, and the list goes on.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
washley1 wrote:
Yes, we're from Florida, but Ive been pulling trailers through little mountain roads for years. And our rig is a 39ft 5er, but once again I've had it in some twisty steep tight places. I have learned to just go slow and get it done right!
We do not need the fanciest place, just looking for cooler air and peace and quiet if we can find that as well.

As for the no way out section, the site I have reserved is not back there, it is site 39 which is on the creek close to the front, so at least we are spared that surprise! Thanks for the comments!!

You want cooler temps. come over to the Blue Ridge. It's way cooler over in the NC High Country, near Boone, Blowing Rock, Linville, and Jefferson. The difference is amazing. The Smokies are not that cool.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

washley1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we're from Florida, but Ive been pulling trailers through little mountain roads for years. And our rig is a 39ft 5er, but once again I've had it in some twisty steep tight places. I have learned to just go slow and get it done right!
We do not need the fanciest place, just looking for cooler air and peace and quiet if we can find that as well.

As for the no way out section, the site I have reserved is not back there, it is site 39 which is on the creek close to the front, so at least we are spared that surprise! Thanks for the comments!!

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
We were also there once in 2010. I just looked at a few of current reviews on rvparkreviews. They seem pretty accurate, so consider those with the gallery from their own website. I don't know what kind of camper you have, but I see you are in FL. Be forewarned that it is winding roads and steep in spots. (But perhaps you've encountered that before ๐Ÿ™‚ also when we were there we had a travel trailer - now that we have a "big rig" I might pass on it. That being said, we enjoyed it. Not the fanciest place, but cool weather, beautiful mountains, campfires and a rushing creek. Now I want to go back!

Go have fun.

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
I was there Summer of 2010....tight, nice creek down the middle, but nothing nearby.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Made two trips there at once. First, and Last times. The CG is well off the main RD, No problem there. However. They like to put new customers in the "more quiet secluded" loop. Only problem, It's NOT a loop. Once they lead you up there. There is NO WAY out. The road is a dead end, and there is no where to turn your TT, 5er, MH, around. You have to pull out into the path, and back down to a wide spot near the bath house.

And they do NOT tell you there is no way out. They just stick you there and leave.
So they won't get me again.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Nice place, roads a little tight getting there but can be done. Along a creek so stays a little damp.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport