cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mountain Biking RV Destinations?

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how many MTB'rs view this forum...but wanting to hear of your MTB RV destinations.

I am 1 year back to CO and do plan on making the Moab/Fruita plans but summer is not the right time for those two destinations.

We are headed up to Jackson and Yellowstone shortly but was not planning on bringing my MTBs with me but wondering if I should change that plan. Don't get me wrong, I am bringing bikes just not my real MTBs. I bought an older craigslist bike for RV park duty which is capable of single track duty, just not up to par with my other bikes. The kids also have older trail worthy MTBs we are bringing.

My only requirements would be a decent place for the RV TT with access to good singletrack trails.

So, let's see if this thread falls off the map quickly...however, lets hear those MTB destinations.

Thanks.

Latest ride to 11,500 feet:
I love me some land yachting
23 REPLIES 23

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lots of really great fire roads in the Sequoia National Forest -- it is not single track, but some amazing rides. Look carefully at the bottom center of this picture -- DW is in a blue shirt -- that will give you some clue about the size of that tree on the left. (And yes, this is an area in which riding is legal -- we would never ride off-pavement in a national park.)

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Helen, Georgia...they have the fat tire festival there every year and Unicoi State Park there is an excellent place.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
The Methow Valley in Washington State has trails galore. Not sure how they interact with campgrounds but Sunshine Mountain resort is laid out for biking and cross country skiing. There's got to be some rougher stuff for the brave at heart because it's location in the Cascades. (should be cooler than the Rockies in the summer.)
Kathy

Semperfi_66
Explorer
Explorer
Angel Fire, New Mexico
ride the chair lift to 10,600 ft and race down the Mt.
2016 Open Range 3X349 RLS
620 Watt Solar
2000 Inverter
2 8D Gell Cells
2016 Ram 3500 4X4 6.7 Cummins
HD Direct TV
Onan 5500 Generator

2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 Can Am Commander Limited Side by Side

Patriot Guard Rider

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Asheville NC smokey mountains area
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
the Tahoe area has some great places to ride and great views of the lake on the Flume trail.
some of the ski resorts have mtn. biking in the summer months.

NorCal has numerous great areas to ride, on the coast and in the Sierras.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
BTW, where is the picture from?

Thanks both for the info. Hoping others will chime in with some great info also.

Picture was from a week ago ride out of Silver Plume. Singletrack climb up and out then onto a jeep road up to a mine. Road continues on up where you can crest Argentine pass, same ridge system as Grays Peak.
I love me some land yachting

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to head far for some decent mountain biking. Salida has a lot of options. Check out their Salida Mountain Trails page for some trails right around town. The Arkansas River trail system is ridable much of the year, depending on snow, and you can ride right from town. Methodist Mountain is just a short distance south of town. Of course there's the famous Monarch Crest trail, worth the price of a shuttle and the better part of a day it will take to ride it. Salida is amazingly bike friendly.

Just up valley, the Midland Railroad Grade right out of the end of Main on the east side of town. A mixture of gravel road, single track along the old railroad grade, and a little more technical sections where they have had to build trail to bypass where the former bridges used to be. Nothing too hard, but a fun respite from some of the more difficult rides in the area.

The trail from the Hancock townsite (above St. Elmo) to the east portal of the Alpine Tunnel is an easy single track, except for the elevation which is above 11,000'. 5till, an interesting historic ride.

Many parts of the Colorado Trail are ridable in the state. The section in Chaffee County is no exception. Likewise, one of the better single tracks on the CT starts at Molas Pass and heads south. Many options off that section of trail. High altitude but beautiful views.

Another idea is including Flowing Park loop on Grand Mesa. Great views and flowers in the summer, without the swarms of mosquitos common further east on the mesa.

Everyone knows about Durango, but have you checked out Cortez? Several options there.

BTW, where is the picture from?
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
If you wanted to go as far as California's Eastern Sierra, the Inyo National Forest has a lot of mountain biking areas. I don't ride, but have observed these areas to be pretty popular.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed