cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must Have Boondocking Items?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Let's have a little fun. What do you consider to be "must have" items when you go boondocking?

I'll start:

1. Two AGM 6v or Group 27 12v batteries
2. Solar power (100 watts)
3. Propane (2x5 gal tanks)
4. Seven gallon portable water tank
5. First Aid Kit
6. Water Purification Kit
7. Saw Zaw (for cutting firewood)
8. Firestarter
9. Camera
10. Altimeter App
11. Dump Station Location App
12. GPS/Maps
13. GPS locator
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
199 REPLIES 199

Black95
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Coffee percolator! Coffee tastes BEST when made in a percolator while camping...

Percolator coffee is great, but I prefer boiling water in an old aluminum coffee pot over the campfire and pouring it into my old style dripolator. It makes coffee similar to the modern coffee makers but done around a campfire without electricity.

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
pondputz wrote:
I never leave home without:

400 watts solar
wind charger
solar lights
whiskey
steaks
BBQ
memory foam mattress

chainsaw

aircard - computer - camera
comfortable chairsPutz

Ok, I'll bite. What's the chainsaw for?:h

I don't know about others, but where we go, there Re often trees across the road that we need to cut to move them out if the way. Same on the way out - without a chainsaw we come be trapped. Many of the trees are 18 to 24 inches in diameter and a bow saw is generally way too small.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
HARLYGL94 wrote:
Jedidad wrote:
Something I haven't seen mentioned (but I did not read every single post) is an emergency locator system like the SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

You get into an emergency situation out in the boonies and this unit will use satellite to contact rescue.

Here's a blurb from their website:

"Once activated, SPOT will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled or until the batteries are depleted. The Emergency Response Center notifies the appropriate emergency responders based on your GPS location and personal information โ€“ which may include local police,

highway patrol, the Coast Guard, our countryโ€™s embassy or consulate, or other emergency search and rescue teams โ€“ as well as notifying your emergency contacts about the receipt of a distress signal."

Doesn't a cell phone do the same thing? I have heard of people being rescued with a cell even if they cannot get service

I'm not sure that your response is applicable (out here in Colorado), anyway. Many places out here, you can't even get your phone to give you the time. (Of Day, even). lol
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i must have my hammock,cold beer,small folding table and an e reader
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

HARLYGL94
Explorer
Explorer
Jedidad wrote:
Something I haven't seen mentioned (but I did not read every single post) is an emergency locator system like the SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker.

You get into an emergency situation out in the boonies and this unit will use satellite to contact rescue.

"Once activated, SPOT will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled or until the batteries are depleted. The Emergency Response Center notifies the appropriate emergency responders based on your GPS location and personal information โ€“ which may include local police,

highway patrol, the Coast Guard, our countryโ€™s embassy or consulate, or other emergency search and rescue teams โ€“ as well as notifying your emergency contacts about the receipt of a distress signal."

Doesn't a cell phone do the same thing? I have heard of people being rescued with a cell even if they cannot get service

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer

"Once activated, SPOT will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled or until the batteries are depleted. The Emergency Response Center notifies the appropriate emergency responders based on your GPS location and personal information โ€“ which may include local police, highway patrol, the Coast Guard, our countryโ€™s embassy or consulate, or other emergency search and rescue teams โ€“ as well as notifying your emergency contacts about the receipt of a distress signal."

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
> money
>I don't care where you are money can be handy

>Wife

>Dog

>Beer

>food

>Water

>fire supplies

>Jumper box

>Full tanks of LP and Gasoline

>>Keys

>Flashlights

>Sox

>Clean underwear

>Something to read
>glasses now that I am getting old

>TP

>Tooth Brush and paste
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Since my earlier post , we've had three seasons with the TT. I'll add more tools. I've had to repair the power stabilizers, three times,now.

Ideally, you should never have to use these tools, and if you do, just don't be seen with them, so they don't have to be Snap-on. One of those Craftsmen, Stanley or Canadian Tire 200 piece sets for $79.99. But check them out,150 pieces seem to be screwdriver bits. SAE and metric. I found I needed metric allen heads, I had them. Punch and chisel set, I needed a pin punch, too. Harbour Frieght stuff. Larger sized combination wrenches, those sets stop at 3/4" or maybe 1". Plus screw drivers, pliers, vise-grip,10" or 12" adjustable, wiring kit, voltmeter, and torque wrench. Star lug nut wrench sized for truck and trailer. Our trailer has 3/4" on the axels and 13/16" on the spare. Hydraulic jack and Pad.

Chainsaw, genset for battery charging.
Adventure before dementia

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The above post brought up a subtle point regarding when to carry what in an RV - especially an RV that might bounce between boondocking and otherwise.

We carry everything all the time. Since we're retired, our trips don't have a definite end date and we never know where we might end up or what we might wind up doing.

For instance, we always carry a beach umbrella with us ... supposedly for just in case shade when out in the desert while sitting in the bottom of a pit digging rocks. However, around three years ago we found ourselves sitting on a beautiful summer sun drenched beach on the shores of Lake Erie. We set up a couple of chairs right at the water's edge and soaked our feet in fresh water ... sitting of course under the beach umbrella.

Ya never know where a RV trip can lead!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BigSkyFamily
Explorer
Explorer
99% of the camping we do is boondocking as I dislike RV parks and refuse to pay for a campsite in my own damn state where I pay taxes...but that is a topic all on it's own.

I am going to list the "extra" stuff I use for boondocking only. I will leave out all the things I take everywhere. Some people seem to have listed the entire contents of their trailer.

Chainsaw for firewood. I always have a couple days worth of firewood in the back of my truck, but it's nice to be able to cut more so we can burn as much as we want. I always bring wood with me so I don't have to buy it on the rare chance I stay in a park with a service. Those places are a ripoff. $15 for a wheelbarrow full of wood? No thanks, I get it where I work for about $20/ton.

A couple of aquatainers for extra water.

A generator for obvious reasons.

Other than that the rest of the stuff we carry pretty much goes everywhere with us.
We live in northwestern Montana and may be hours from civilization and prefer it that way.
I always carry vehicle recovery stuff, tools, basic survival stuff, and plenty of guns & ammo...yes I'm a crazy redneck with a basement full of guns, ammo, and reloading stuff. I like to do a lot of shooting while camping as do my wife and kids.

We travel a few places where we stay in parks/campgrounds close to town. We have had good experiences doing this. Just prefer to boondock.

Sorry, long winded. I have a problem with that sometimes.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think I saw this one. Weather radio. I have a small portable AM/FM/shortwave for listening to news, a AC/12V scanner with weather band. Also carry a pair of good FM hand helds to communicate with each other if we need them. They also have weather band in them.

Some great ideas here. We also have a couple of lifestraws in case we need them. We mostly boondock when we camp but are prepared to "bug out" at any time. RV is always stocked and tanks filled.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Bayoubass
Explorer
Explorer
Having spent many days and nights in a tent years ago, now that I'm older and camp in a TT , I would say: generator , water, batteries, gun, 5 gal bucket ( dump station), toilet paper, cell phone charger , beer, food, ice chest, fishing equipment , and everything else I forgot to list ( always forget several important things and as I get older i bring too much and still forget things ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Beosuun
Explorer
Explorer
Borrowed from "Landcruising Adventure" - (11th year on the road):
(2) Maxtrax sand ladders, fleece and/or down blanket, field surgery kit (splinters), laptop/dvd player/movies, kindle/books, dremel tool kit, 20v lithium-ion drill, copper/aluminum anti-seize compound, GPS, Pressure Cooker (esp.for high altitude camping), stove-top oven, machete (farm tool), safety glasses (see splinters) . . . and a beloved companion :):)
2010 F150 Raptor, 4Wheel Pop-up camper (otw), DW ace navigator

DesertFront
Explorer
Explorer
bbaley wrote:
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
I like your box, it sure beats my plastic tool box. I pack much the same sort of stuff.

We had a lifted PUP, which ran off propane, we used it for the light, stoves, and BBQ. I found the Coleman stove much nicer to cook on.

The only survival gear that we used in 20 years was a 12volt air compressor. I was too lazy to change the Jeep's tire.

Couple of times we were five hours from the nearest gas station, then we had to pack gas to get out.

What is a PUP ?

http://www.pinterest.com/morte100/coleman-pup/
Tow vehicle; 2013 Nissan Frontier CrewCab Pro-4X
Mods; 2" coil over lift/AAL's rear
LT285/75 R16 Kelly TSR, Flowmaster
RV; 2014 Coachman Viking 14R. TT
Mods; leaf springs moved on top of axle, Kenda Loadstar ST225/75D15

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously the "must" in must have is kind of important butโ€ฆ
Must have

First aid kit and a nurse to operate it
Water purifier and storage
Food or a way to get it
shelter
firearm and plenty of ammo. Personally I carry a 1911 in 45acp and am very comfortable with it
coffee and percolator

Really, really like to have:

23' hybrid toy hauler
solar panel to charge house bats as well as
-netbook computer with movies and music on the hard drive
-portable jump starter with usb and 110v power outlets and an air compressor
-18volt ryobi batt charger for
--flash light
--sawzall w/ 12" wood and metal blades
--drill
--vacuum
wood burnng stove in case trip is prolonged (shtf)
tarp
tobasco
12 gauge shotgun and plenty of ammo
air rifle
beer
5 gal bucket
bailing wire and duct tape (gorilla tape)
bottle jack and lug wrench for rv. TV's jack doesn't work worth a******on the RV.
walkie talkies
don't forget to bring a towel!
Big Brother is watching.