cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Niagara Falls, Canada and are looking to plan a week long trip to Myrtle Beach in July.

We have two boys. 9 and 7 years old. I have read a lot about the options in Myrtle Beach but cannot decide where to book.

I know for sure that I want Resort Style. For reference last year we went to Lake George and stayed at Lake George RV park. We loved it. The prior year we went to Ocean City, MD and stayed at Castaways but left thinking there was not enough to do there and that we should have stayed at Frontier Town.

This is our longest trip so far so we really want to make it memorable. I think I've narrowed to the big 3.

Based on our past trips and what we like which would you recommend and why?

Ocean Lakes?
Myrtle Beach Travel Park?
Pirateland?

I am open to other options as well but need full hookups and lots to do for the boys.

We will be in 29ft travel trailer.

Thanks
59 REPLIES 59

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Myrtle Beach Travel Park for all of the reasons already listed. Most all of their sites on the beach area are pull through. If you like a nice quiet beach walk there is a two mile or so stretch of beach just north that has no development on it at all. All of the bathhouses have been rebuilt i the last few years and are quite nice. Close to restaurants and book ended by Walmart on one end and Kroger on the other if you need a quick trip to get something. Easy to get to as SC rte 22 ends right at Kings Road.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Lakes has really cracked down on golf car violations & I have rarely heard much noise after 11PM if any ....if you do security is usually on it.
The ocean front sites I have seen usually have 2 cars some have a cargo trailer and seen some set up a wading pool..... with all that yes they can be tight.... and yes some are smaller than the others..........

I guess I have missed the party atmosphere..........

Just for info Fireworks were being shot off on the beach (in Horry County not Ocean Lakes) Two big scared dogs came running up to us we were able to get one and called security (in July) they were there in 5 minutes or less. They were going to take it to an on site holding kennel (at the security office) but fortunately the owner was located first. Did not know they had the service for escaped dogs..... on site , No need for animal control.....

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We are going for 3 nights in a few weeks. Got site H70 (right on the front row). Site size is 40' x 40'. Sounds plenty big enough to me. And as CecilT mentioned, my camper will face the ocean and not back up to another camper or campsite. That is one thing we do not like about Lakewood. Also, depending on which side of the road you are on, your camper may or may not face the ocean. Ocean Lakes sites are at a angle and I believe all are pull through. Pirateland and Lakewood are making an attempt to start paving some sites according to Google Maps. But again, only half of the sites face the ocean, the others face away and most of the sites at Pirateland and just about all at Lakewood are parallel to the ocean.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
From Ocean Lakes website on their policies....

Golf Car Rules for Everyone
โ€ข Driver must be at least 16 years old and possess a VALID driver's license in their possession to operate a golf car in Ocean Lakes (also SC Sate Law). You must be 21 years of age to sign a rental contract.
โ€ข Privately owned golf cars must be registered and have a valid registration sticker attached to the driver's side of the front of the car. Proof of proper liability insurance must be shown with a minimum of $50,000 coverage in Personal Injury and Property Damage held on the golf car. There is a $25 charge for stickers annually.
โ€ข NO gas powered or motorized golf cars are permitted.
โ€ข Golf cars operating after sunset must have the light(s) turned on. Lights must be permanently attached and at least four inches in diameter.
โ€ข Golf cars must be operated properly and driven only on roadways. Golf cars are not to be driven across vacant or occupied campsites, the beach, or in other restricted areas.
โ€ข A maximum of 5 people can be on a golf car at any given time.
โ€ข Annual Lease Holders and transient campsite car owners are responsible for the operation of the golf car including any damages that result from operation.
โ€ข Annual Lease Holders must have 3" reflective site numbers on the front and back of their golf cars.
โ€ข Under NO circumstances can golf cars be rented to other sites or other guests as a separate transaction.

REMEMBER TO REGISTER AT THE GOLF CAR BUILDING

Golf Car Violations result in the following actions:
Rentals Golf Cars
โ€ข First Offense of underage or reckless driving: Loss of privilege to rent or operate a golf car by any guest on the same site during that visit. The car is taken away from the person to whom it was rented immediately and will be subject to a $100.00 fine. Fines to be paid at Golf Car Rental Office.
Annual Lease Holder Golf Cars
โ€ข First Offense of underage or reckless driving: $100.00 fine will be levied against that site and documentation recorded in the site's line file.
Privately Owned Campsite Guests
โ€ข First Offense of underage or reckless driving: $100.00 fine will be levied and must be paid immediately at the Main Office.
All Second Offense Violations...
โ€ฆwill result in the loss of privilege to operate a golf car in the campground. The golf car must be placed back on the camping guest's trailer or into the golf car storage area. Annual Lease Holder's golf cars must be removed from the property or placed into the golf car storage area and loss of privilege for one year.

Everytime we have stayed there, we have seen security stopping people everyday. Horry County Sheriff's Dept is normally there at night and they are often involved. I've seen security, that stands in the roadway during the nighlty parade, take beer from people in Golf Carts and pour it out.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cecilt wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
wbwood wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Not sure what OL, and MBTP offer in the way of special activities for kids.

And Yes the OL site back from the beach are not small. But the ones close to the beach are. Or all we stayed in have been, and we stay as close to the beach as possible. Usually first row.

Plus the quietness after 11 PM.

This poster either sleeps light or wants a state park experience at 11pm during the summer at an ocean front beach resort. Can't have both.

It is easy to tell you have never been to PL. Oceanfront sites at PL make OL sites look like postage stamps,

and as for the "quiet" at OL after 11 pm. Nope. However at PL not a cart moves. IF you are caught riding a cart, or bike after 11 pm. It is taken, and you are fined $75.00 So at PL you can in fact have both the resort experience till 11 pm, and the stat park experience after 11pm. As I said all CGs have their plusses. For us PL just has many more plusses that OL. We like the more quieter CG, as opposed to the wide open no holds barred party atmosphere of OL.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
q
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oaklevel wrote:
wbwood wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
And at Pirateland you don`t need to park your car/truck under your awning and in front of your door!

Never had to do that at Ocean Lakes....

X2 Always had plenty of room for two vehicles (one is a duelly), a screen room golf car & not be even close to the awning at Ocean Lakes.

Hasn't anyone seen the beachfront sites at OL's? Or all the way back a few rows for that matter!

PL's beach front sites are almost twice as big!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
And at Pirateland you don`t need to park your car/truck under your awning and in front of your door!

Never had to do that at Ocean Lakes....

X2 Always had plenty of room for two vehicles (one is a duelly), a screen room golf car & not be even close to the awning at Ocean Lakes.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
wbwood wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

And Yes the OL site back from the beach are not small. But the ones close to the beach are. Or all we stayed in have been, and we stay as close to the beach as possible. Usually first row.

Plus the quietness after 11 PM.

Again mis-information. The sites in HH, H and I are very large. In fact there are large sites in 2000, 3000 and 4000. There are a few large sites on the first row of any site of H, HH, I or 2000. This is the only point I agree with you on but I would never stay on the front row anyways. You picked a front row site which are small and stereotype all sites close to the beach in these ocean front sections as small. Flat out wrong. As wbwood mentions, just pull up google earth and view the sites. You will see they are much larger than this poster wants you to believe and if you pull up Lakewood or Pirateland and can see the campers you will see campers parked facing opposite the ocean and bumper to bumper.

In addition at 11pm the golf carts are directed back to their sites or houses, radios are quieted and it is very quiet. This poster either sleeps light or wants a state park experience at 11pm during the summer at an ocean front beach resort. Can't have both.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wbwood wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

Ocean Lakes has lots of activities for the kids. Can't speak for Pirateland, as we have never stayed there, Ocean Lakes seems to have more for the kids than Lakewood, as far as activities. Ocean Lakes also has religous services and activities. While Ocean Lakes allows alcohol consumption at your site, Lakewood states you can not. However, you see it just as much at Lakewood and the secuirty drives right by them and says nothing.

The sites at Ocean Lakes are not smaller than Lakewood. Can't speak for Pirateland again except from what I could see from Lakewood. Go to google and pull up an aerial view. You can see that there is literally no difference. Ocean Lakes will let you reserve specific sites. They tell you exactly the size of the lot, if you can open your slides (and if certain slide will be obstructed), distance to the beach and distance to a bath house. Lakewood only lets you pick an area. They assign you the site when you arrive. The last time I looked up on Piratelands website (and just reconfirmed), you can only pick a type of site. No specific site. If I remember correctly, Ocean Lakes also has the shortest period requiring a certain amount of nights during the summer time. I also believe MBTP, requires a longer stay than the other places do.

At PirateLand you can reserve the site you want. all you have to do is pay when you reserve. I do it every year. And Yes the OL site back from the beach are not small. But the ones close to the beach are. Or all we stayed in have been, and we stay as close to the beach as possible. Usually first row.

but it really doesn't matter. We all like what we like for our own reasons. I just like the less crowded ocean front sites at PL, and the better security of PL. Plus the quietness after 11 PM.

Other's like husstle and bustle of OL. And like my friend, who likes to ride his cart all night. Told me that is why he stays there, so he can ride anytime he wants. He and I both like the express check in at OL.

And other's like the quietness of MBTP, and their location. I like MBTP's location as I do Apache's. I like the North end for doing things. I like Apache pier as well as other of my friends that like to fish.

All the CGs have their plusses.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
A lot of misinformation and it mostly stems from what appears to be those that loath the OL experience. Hands down they have larger sites than Lakewood and Pirateland. We drove through Pirateland. Sardines and just was not inviting. We walk through Lakewood, sardines. Granted OL has more activity in terms of golf carts but they don't bother us and we love that anyways.

Granted, there are sites in certain sections that are smaller than others in OL but it is 100% better than the others.

I have never had a problem parking an f250 CC, 36' TT, Easy up, awning out and a golf cart all on my site. Everything but the camper was on the grass in front of the camper. The concrete slab his wide enough to accommodate the camper and the awning mat(9' wide) to give you an idea.

It boils down to the golf cart haters...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer

Yep smaller sites at Ocean Lakes... Note where our utility trailer is. To the right, you will barely see the sewer hose of the people in front of us, marking the site line. And the ngo about 3 feet on the other side of our motorhome to where the other boundary is. Just to let you know, I could park the golf cart and SUV side by side between the awning and utility trailer. This was a non-paved site and in the 4000 section which is a little further back from the beach. Less traffic all around.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

Ocean Lakes has lots of activities for the kids. Can't speak for Pirateland, as we have never stayed there, Ocean Lakes seems to have more for the kids than Lakewood, as far as activities. Ocean Lakes also has religous services and activities. While Ocean Lakes allows alcohol consumption at your site, Lakewood states you can not. However, you see it just as much at Lakewood and the secuirty drives right by them and says nothing.

The sites at Ocean Lakes are not smaller than Lakewood. Can't speak for Pirateland again except from what I could see from Lakewood. Go to google and pull up an aerial view. You can see that there is literally no difference. Ocean Lakes will let you reserve specific sites. They tell you exactly the size of the lot, if you can open your slides (and if certain slide will be obstructed), distance to the beach and distance to a bath house. Lakewood only lets you pick an area. They assign you the site when you arrive. The last time I looked up on Piratelands website (and just reconfirmed), you can only pick a type of site. No specific site. If I remember correctly, Ocean Lakes also has the shortest period requiring a certain amount of nights during the summer time. I also believe MBTP, requires a longer stay than the other places do.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cecilt wrote:
A lot of misinformation and it mostly stems from what appears to be those that loath the OL experience. Hands down they have larger sites than Lakewood and Pirateland. We drove through Pirateland. Sardines and just was not inviting. We walk through Lakewood, sardines. Granted OL has more activity in terms of golf carts but they don't bother us and we love that anyways.

Granted, there are sites in certain sections that are smaller than others in OL but it is 100% better than the others.

I have never had a problem parking an f250 CC, 36' TT, Easy up, awning out and a golf cart all on my site. Everything but the camper was on the grass in front of the camper. The concrete slab his wide enough to accommodate the camper and the awning mat(9' wide) to give you an idea.

you didn't stay in the sites I did. Last time at OL. We were on the front row. Just barely enough room to put the 27' TT. Had to park the TV in front of the TT. And while we were out. Someone parked a golf cart in it's place. We just rolled it back out into the road.
At Pirate land, our sites are wide enough room to park 4 cars, with a picnic shelter thrown in. and long enough to stay hooked to the new 31' TT, and still keep the TV out of the road.
Now there are some large sites at OL. But they are few. We have friends that stay on the large sites, but they are way back from the ocean.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer