cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Natural Bridge/Lexington, VA KOA - review

dsotmoon
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, this is a review of our first trip out this year (3rd since buying the camper) Can't wait for the next trip next month, hope this style review helps and you enjoy it!

Date's of stay: May 10 - 13 / 3 night trip

Location: Natural Bridge, VA KOA http://www.naturalbridgekoa.com/

Cost: $47.00 per night including taxes (we got a FREE night for Care Camp Weekend!)
We payed 31.00 per night (average) with the free care camp coupon.

Site: #80, pull thru - 50/30amp full hookups, limited cable TV, Wi-fi
Included old wheel fire pit and picnic table

Review: What a nice park, hidden in the woods just a mile off the interstate, alot of trees, with alot of shade. The park appeared very clean, easy to navigate with part of the roads paved and parts of them still gravel (they were paving another section as we left Monday). They had morning trash pick up at each site and the dumpsters were outside the park area, so no foul smells anywhere. I do feel there could have been some landscaping done to make the place look a little better, new mulch, weed eating, some trees trimmed, etc etc. But it is the beginning of the season so I'm sure they'll be working on it.

The park amenities seemed on par with what you would expect, 2 play areas for those with kids, an enclosed dog park, swimming pool (they seemed to be getting ready), and very clean restrooms. Our site included cable TV, limited with about 20 channels, Wi-fi, we did have some connectivity issues but overall it worked well. There is a game room and pavilion which we didnt check out but will on any return visits.

Our site itself was on the backside of the park behind the office/store, a pull thru site that was level from side to side but I did have to raise the tongue to level from front to back, nothing extreme though. The utilities were well placed, everything was within 6-8' of where I parked. There was plenty of space for both slide outs without having to navigate any trees. The park power was very consistent on the volt meter with little to no fluctuation, water pressure was good and steady, no problems showering. The door side was very roomy, plenty of space to fully extend the awning, build a fire and grill.

Overall we had a great time, I love spending time with my wife on these trips, sooooo relaxing to get away from "life", we loved the shade from the trees, it was mostly quiet and we had good weather, afternoon showers two of the nights but we both love going to bed with rain hitting the roof. The camper performed almost flawlessly, the air conditioner worked great (first time trying it out). There is something broke inside the kitchen faucet that we noticed allowed a small slow leak but i patched it together to stop the leak and will get fixed before our next trip, its under warranty but probably not worth taking somewhere to get fixed when I probably can, we'll see.

Area Attractions: We only live 45 minutes from this campground and the main reason we planned this trip was to get the camper cleaned and stocked for the year and to visit the Safari Park which was basically right next door to the campground. If you love animals you have to visit here. http://www.virginiasafaripark.com/ It's sad we live so close and have never been there but it made the trip even better to be able to "live" next door to it for the weekend. They have over 1000 animals that you can get up close and personal with driving thru or taking a wagon ride, touching them, feeding them, and taking pictures. Deer, camel, bison, buffalo, zebra, llama, ostrich, pigs, wildebeest, yak, rhino's and much much more including a walk thru part with a bird enclosure, kangaroo habitat, tigers, tortoise, monkeys, snakes, flamingo's, and more.

It took us about 3-1/2 hours to see everything, a great trip for all ages. I would suggest paying the 6.50 more for the wagon ride, if you drive your car thru it you risk damage from the animals and you only have one animal at a time sticking their head into your car for food, with the wagon ride, you have multiple stops along the way where you get a chance to feed and touch multiple animals at once. (HINT: Sit on the right side of the wagon to get up close and person with the camels, they have their own habitat that the wagon pulls up to and both camel habitats are on the right side of the road!!!!!)
We also spent part of one day in nearby Lexington, a small town that has a laid back eclectic feel, which is also home to VMI - Virginia Military Institute (a LOT of history here!) We spent a few hours shopping downtown and enjoyed some time in an outdoor art show that was going on. There are a variety of local restaurants here to choose from. We mostly grilled out this trip but we did try out the Pink Cadillac Diner which was close to the campground, the atmosphere was better than the food but we enjoyed it overall. I'd like to tour VMI and a local brewery I've heard good things about on our next trip.

There is plenty more to do in the area, outdoor drive-in movie theater, hiking, fishing (rivers and lakes), wax museum, toy museum , caves and of course visiting one of the natural wonders of the world, Natural Bridge itself!
http://www.naturalbridgekoa.com/local-area/
http://www.lexingtonvirginia.com/
http://www.naturalbridgeva.com/

Photo's:

We took my old man Sampson with us, he's 14 and nearly blind, his 2 sisters stayed home with our son. Camping is HARD

"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark. "

TV: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins Diesel
TT: 2013 Rockwood Signature Series 8319SS
10 REPLIES 10

Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of historic sites in Lexington. Stonewall Jackson's home is open to the public. His grave is in the town cemetery. There is a small but good museum near Stonewall's house. The museum at VMI is exceptional - as is a visit to Washington and Lee to see Robert E. Lee's tomb, the remarkable huge statue in that same building, and his office while he was president of the University. We have not been there since we have been traveling by RV and are looking to go back. I had thought this campground to be a distance away further south. I will have to look into it.

One question for the OP- I read your review and you obviously liked this KOA. Many reviews on RVparkreviews for this KOA talk about tight roads and turns inside the campground, tight spaces, and unlevel sites. Yours is the best review that they have had. What is you opinion on how level the sites are?
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
great write up! Encouraging me to visit there

dsotmoon
Explorer
Explorer
Doug and Cassi Glass wrote:
General George C. Marshall Museum is there too. Also, Robert E. Lee is buried there. Lexington has lots of history.

thanks, cant wait to go back!

dsotmoon
Explorer
Explorer
Doug and Cassi Glass wrote:
General George C. Marshall Museum is there too. Also, Robert E. Lee is buried there. Lexington has lots of history.

thanks, i knew devils backbone but not the other, our next trip there will be a brew/history trip ๐Ÿ™‚

dsotmoon
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Thanks for posting! Sounds and looks like you had a great time! That's a nice looking tt, too.

thanks you!

dsotmoon
Explorer
Explorer
Bea PA wrote:
Be sure to post a review at rvparkreviews.com

thanks, I will this weekend, i love reviews, I wish more people posted them, to me it really helps to here anothers opinion

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
re: Lexington- Not only VMI, but next door is Washington & Lee University, great deal of history with both. BTW there are two breweries in Lexington. Devils Backbone on the north end of town and Blue Lab in the downtown area.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to post a review at rvparkreviews.com
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting! Sounds and looks like you had a great time! That's a nice looking tt, too.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard