cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Natural Bridges National Monument

rctaw
Explorer
Explorer
We will be visiting Natural Bridges near the end of May. There will be two travel trailers in our group and I am wondering if the overlooks on the scenic drive will accommodate both rigs at the same time. If not, is there room for unhooking the travel trailers at the visitor center? We will be staying at Goosenecks on the previous night so another thought was to leave the trailers there for the half day and just take the tow vehicles to the monument. We will already be back tracking to Blanding anyway due to the Moki Dugway so we could just swing through and pick up the travel trailers on our way to Monument Valley and on to Page. Any input from those who have been to these parks recently would be appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not hesitate to leave the trailer at Goosnecks while off on a day trip.

It would probably be as likely to be hit by a falling gyro-copter as to be broken into.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

rctaw
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with you 4runnerguy. This area and it's activities are much more of me, my wife and son's cup of tea, but we have my Mother and Father-in-Law with us so we can show them Glen Canyon/Lake Powell and the overlooks at the North and South Rim of Grand Canyon. (They can't hike.) My boys and I are doing the Rim to Rim hike while my wife and in-laws see the south rim sites from the vehicle. We were trying to get a taste of this area while passing through to our main destination. I know from the suggestions that you guys have given me that on our next trip out, we will allow more time to focus on this area.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been to Navajo NM so can't compare the two, but Mule Canyon is a nice hike with smaller ruins. If you run out of time, you can always pull off at the Butler Wash ruins along UT 95 on your way back to Blanding and do the short hike out to the overlook. You're not as close to the ruins as in Mule Canyon, but they are a little bigger than most in Mule.

BTW, given the choice I'd spend more time in the Natural Bridges/Blanding area vs. Page unless you're renting a houseboat or the like.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

rctaw
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information on the hikes and parking 4runnerguy and vermilye. I think we can work in the Mule Canyon Hike if we forfeit our planned time at Navajo National Monument. Would you who have been to both (Navajo and Mule Canyon) think that the Mule Canyon Ruins are better than the Navajo Monument. We would not get to hike to the Betatakin Ruin at Navajo due to our arrival time so I think maybe the Mule Canyon hike would be better time spent. I will probably still at least drive into Navajo on the way to Page because I just can't help myself.

You can tell that our time is limited as we only have the evening on the day of arrival and then we have to be at Lake Powell at the END of the next day. So this does give us some time but not nearly as much as I would like for this area of Utah. I think we will be back soon just for this area.
Thanks again everyone.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed in site 9 in an Escape 17. It fit, but as ken mentioned, most of the sites are pretty small.

If you are a photographer, a couple of interesting things in the area -

House on Fire Ruin in Mule Canyon & Fallen Roof Ruin in Road Canyon. Both are within easy driving of Natural Bridges; House on Fire an easy hike & Fallen Roof Ruin a bit longer & more difficult.

House on Fire:

Fallen Roof Ruin:

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
rctaw wrote:
We prefer to stay in the parks we visit when possible but with my travel trailer being 28 feet and my truck being an f350, I doubt I would fit in Natural Bridges.

This campground just doesn't have very big sites. We've never camped there but have driven through just to see if there was any site we could fit into. All of the sites are very small. Maybe a 16' trailer or a truck camper would fit in a couple of the sites, but nothing large in any of them.

They will often direct you to some dispersed camping near the junction of UT 95 and UT 261 (I think it's on this side road 37.5782,-109.8866). But we go up Bears Ears Road (AKA Elk Ridge Road), which is about 3/4 of a mile in from UT 95 on UT 275. Within the first mile or so there are several sites right off this dirt road (e.g. 37.5981, -109.9176) The road gets steeper further up, but if you're up for it, there's a great spot at 37.6057, -109.9217 with wonderful views. We've seen a 35' super C with a toad camped at that spot. There are a few other spots further up that road, but once you reach the national forest, there are precious few campsites beyond until you are up on top. The NFS has gone through with a dozer and moved rocks to block side roads where we used to camp.

There is another road about 0.4 miles beyond the Elk Ridge Road. We've seen people boondocking on it when looking down from the Elk Ridge Road, but we've never driven it so I can't speak to the suitability for a trailer.

If you are driving back to Blanding anyway, there are also some boondocking locations along Comb Wash on both sides of the highway (37.5116, -109.6554). A little further from the NM, but convenient to the highway.

PM me if you want info on some interesting hikes in the area.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

rctaw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all of your replies. I was worried about leaving the trailers unattended as well. We prefer to stay in the parks we visit when possible but with my travel trailer being 28 feet and my truck being an f350, I doubt I would fit in Natural Bridges. (It does look like a beautiful campground) I think I will call about the site lengths and overflow camping area. Thanks for the Cadillac Ranch suggestion, it looks like a great alternative if I decide against leaving the trailers at Goosenecks.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Leaving the TT at Goosenecks might make more sense tho. Don't miss the Valley of the Gods when you are in the area.

Goosenecks is one of the best dry camping sites in the lower 48.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the park's web site:

Natural Bridges National Monument

The small campground holds up to 26' RVs. It's a beautiful spot. However, they do have an overflow area for larger RVs and if you call the park directly they'll be able to give you directions. It's nearby. You could spend a night there and do some hiking the next day. The hiking is fun - climbing ladders, etc. It's a unique, gorgeous park and well worth more that a few hours to explore.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
Yea, it is just boondocking at Goosenecks. We stayed at Cadillac Ranch in Bluff. It was 25 bucks for a pull thru full hookup site.

IIRC that is where I stayed on my trip west.
bumpy

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, it is just boondocking at Goosenecks. We stayed at Cadillac Ranch in Bluff. It was 25 bucks for a pull thru full hookup site.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
1) This is out in the middle of nowhere, the nearest structure would be miles away. Probably Bluff but it might be Mexican Hat.
2) This is also LDS (Mormon) country who on the whole are rather law abiding.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
I'd be concerned about leaving my rig unattended, alone for long period.

It would be interesting to see some reports on crime or vandals here. I did a Google search using several different word combos and did not find any.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
The Gooseneck camp area isn't a 'refined' campground area. Its very remote and you may be the only ones there. You kinda park your rig anywhere you want. I'd be concerned about leaving my rig unattended, alone for long period.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"