cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help finding our ideal campground

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping that some of you out there have come across this "campground of our dreams".

We live in Florida (on the Gulf coast), in a place that many people would consider a tropical paradise. Beaches, beautiful gulf waters, great weather, fantastic boating and fishing. Wife and I have tried many campgrounds in and around Florida. While they're wonderful for people from up north who come down for a vacation, or to get out of the cold, to us they don't match up to what we already have in our own backyard. We're searching the Internet until our eyes hurt. Here's what we're looking for:

1. In the mountains of GA, SC, NC, AL, TN on a nice big lake. Basically a long one-day drive towing the boat (~500 miles from Ft. Myers, FL). I'll tow the trailer first then go back and get the boat. Looking to stay May - September/October.
2. Has a boat ramp or wet slip on site. (24' boat)
3. Lake is big enough that we can go 20+ miles around it.
4. Full hookups with great Internet/wifi and cell phone coverage (I need this for work).
5. Large sites that aren't crammed all together.
6. Grocery stores/shopping in close proximity (< 10 miles from campground)

I'm not looking for (or expecting) cheap; I know this will be expensive, but this is what we're hoping to find. With all the travel that you all have done, do any of you have a place that fits this? Please let me know. Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Jim for the nice/accurate write up. When you first posted I felt you would like us as we meet your wants. I understand that as the park owner I am not supposed to post a link so thanks for doing it for me.:W
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Lake Nottely RV Park and compared to Blue Water...cheap and 1200' higher. Most leave their RV year round.
PM me.

Thanks ivylog!

UPDATE: We drove up to Lake Nottely, GA this past weekend to visit the park right on the lake. The park is actually closed for the winter (1 April - 30 November is their season), but we spoke with the owner, and he agreed to meet us there and show us the park. Of course we didn't know that Winter Storm Benji was going to come to town, so we got the added benefit of 10" of snow!

The owner met us for lunch and he's a very nice man (and camper). He took us out for a wonderful lunch at a restaurant in town. After lunch we visited the RV park.

This park checked off ALL of our requirements (and more):

1. Mountain lake (1,800' elevation)
2. 20-miles long (100+ miles of shoreline) with numerous small islands dotting the lake. Picture a mountain lake like you've seen on TV - yeah, this is it. Plenty of places to explore and gunkhole fishing.
3. Boat ramp onsite with wet slip for the entire season.
4. Boat (24' pontoon w/150 HP motor) + 165 HP Sea-Doo can be kept on site and in the water. Toss a couple of lines and away you go.
5. Cell phone tower in sight (great signal)
6. New wifi service installed (access point < 100' away)
7. Our selected campsite has a 12' x 20' wooden deck
8. Walmart Supercenter about 1 mile away.
9. Non-ethanol (REC fuel) about 1 mile away for boat & ski.
9. Lake is stocked with fish and is part of TVA (175' deep in front of dam)

The rate for the entire season was under $2,500 (+ $500 for wet slip & boat trailer storage). If you rent for the season you can leave your RV trailer on site - in situ- for the remaining 4 months at no cost.

Needless to say we're VERY excited about going.

The name of the park is Lake Nottely RV Park

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: On a recommendation from a member on board, this past weekend we drove from Ft. Myers up to Lake Nottely RV Park up in N. Georgia and met with the owner of the the park. Even though the park was closed, he gave us a tour of the camp site. We loved it. It meets every requirement we had. We're up in 1,900' of elevation, on a 20-mile long lake. The site has a boat ramp, as well as wet slips. We'll be launch our boat there, and keeping it in one of the wet slips that are onsite. Our site overlooks the lake, and the lake is to our WNW, which will give us fantastic sunsets. The specific site that we chose has a LARGE wooden deck (I'm estimating the deck is 12' x 20') and we are close by to the pavillion and laundry room.

We drove up while Winter Storm Benji came through, so we had 2-3" of snow on the drive up, and about 8" of snow on the ground when we got there. We met the owner, who took us to lunch and a great restaurant. Very pleasant man. We're looking forward to getting up there for the summer. The season runs from 1 April - 30 November. If you book for the whole season, you can store your RV on site - in the same spot - for free for the remaining 4 months that they are closed.

There are many shops in downtown Blairsville (about 2 miles away) including a Walmart SuperCenter less that 1 mile away.

Looking forward to a great summer of boating, jet skiing, fishing, and getting out of the Florida heat!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
jim1521 wrote:
I'm hoping that some of you out there have come across this "

campground of our dreams".

1. In the mountains of GA, SC, NC, AL, TN on a nice big lake.
4. Full hookups with great Internet/wifi and cell phone coverage (I need this for work).

Your dream CG and all of ours too! :C
If you find one with 'ALL' 6 items on your wish list PLEASE call me! :B

Check out Honecomb Creek that I mentioned above. The only one thing that might be in question is what you consider a large site. It varies from site to site but most are roomy.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
There's plenty of lovely camping areas in NC and VA. The RV Parky app with show you many.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rockhill, you need to click on the link I posted above and the price is very reasonable.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jim1521 wrote:
I'm hoping that some of you out there have come across this "

campground of our dreams".

1. In the mountains of GA, SC, NC, AL, TN on a nice big lake.

Your dream CG and all of ours too! :C
If you find one with 'ALL' 6 items on your wish list PLEASE call me! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I can second Windcreek at Alexander City, AL. Also take a look at Joe Wheeler State Park near Decatur, AL.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Windcreek State Park in Alexander City, AL hits all of your wants. We camp here 3-4 weeks each summer.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Georgia Mountain CG in Hiawassee, Ga Has all that you are looking for.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Your expectations of distance may be a little off. Ft Meyers to the TN state line, by I75 is about 680 miles, well over 9 hrs with an RV.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you just described Honeycomb Creek Campground on Lake Guntersville in North Alabama. The Lake is about 70000 acres, and 70-80 miles long. Also it is part of the Tennessee River, and so there are locks and you can go the entire length of the Tennessee River, heck you could just drive the boat up.
The lake is beautiful, with a couple of restaurants on the lake, and there are numerous marinas, and even a boat dealer next door to the campground. The Campground is nice, and they have docks and you can rent a slip for $5 a night (probably better for long term).
The town of Guntersville is really cute with little shops and restaurants. Town is 10minutes away.

Also it's fun to run up to Chattanooga by boat. You have to go through one lock, and it's about 90 miles.

We spend a week there every other year. We rotate it with the beach.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lake Nottely RV Park and compared to Blue Water...cheap and 1200' higher. Most leave their RV year round.
PM me.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
might be more than a day but table rock is,a nice lake in the mountains and the rent boats so no need to get yours