cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need overnight campground in Denver

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going through Denver this coming weekend. Coming from Moab on I 70, then picking up I 76 coming out of Denver. Looking for a decent campground for an overnight. Using the Good Sam app to search I see 2 Camping Worlds listed and a KOA on the West side. Anything else in that area that would be a good stop over?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
17 REPLIES 17

lockdoc
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
If just an overnight to get back on I70 quickly, Dakota Ridge would be the prime choice. It is very nice but a bit pricey. Getting into Golden near Clear Creek and back to I70 is not difficult but will definitively take more time than just staying at Dakota Ridge.

Stayed at Dakota once never again unlevelled site and expensive paid $63 in early May 2015 - not even high season

We looked at that park too for last May but decided on Clear Creek and SO glad we did. We had the sounds of the rushing creek to listen to but were only blocks off the freeway.
2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 4093
Rotax 912 powered parachute
Loving DW, DS& soon to be DIL, DD GS Owners web site

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
If just an overnight to get back on I70 quickly, Dakota Ridge would be the prime choice. It is very nice but a bit pricey. Getting into Golden near Clear Creek and back to I70 is not difficult but will definitively take more time than just staying at Dakota Ridge.

Stayed at Dakota once never again unlevelled site and expensive paid $63 in early May 2015 - not even high season
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious --"Where did you STAY"?
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:

Not as tight as the sites are in Dakota Ridge - just jump off I-70 at exit 244 Idaho Springs and Take Rt 6 right to the park/Golden, but the problem is not parking it's being able to get a site, then just take Rt 58 to I-70 - more beautiful drive and less traffic(Rt 6) - Just MHO, if you just need to pull off to sleep in a safe spot Jeffco would be the better option - right at the Fairgrounds and larger sites, more room.

Not trying to start an argument but....I've got more than a few hundred nights in these three locations, (Granddaughters live just up the road), so just saying, but Golden has been "Discovered" so it is just hard to get in - without a direct call to the desk.

And IMHO is just a really GREAT LOCATION,

BOL,

You missed my point about getting back on I70 quickly and that is why I suggested Dakota. Into and out of Clear Creek RV park will definitely have more time involved especially if you head down the twisty, tighter canyon of Hwy 6 to get into Golden, not debatable.

OP is spending time trail riding in Moab and may want an early start for the drive home, I know that would be my choice. I happen to be headed out for trail riding in Moab next week too so know the feeling.

BTW, your granddaughters must live close to where I live as I live just up the hill from that area.

Had this same argument with my Son for 10 years - about taking Rt 6 as a short cut to I-70) He will ski probably 40 + days and will often go for the day - (part of his Work/Job) once we were in two cars and I took the long - twisty - BEAUTIFUL - Tight - route and he took the Ugly, short route with only light traffic to Idaho springs - I had already ordered breakfast before he got there. So you are right it's Not debatable ๐Ÿ˜‰ - he now goes that way all the time - just more fun, and if you are going on through on 70 - Rt 58 is direct, so easy.

Having stayed In Dakota a number of times - it is very TIGHT and not that much fun to get in and out of - if it's just to pull off and spend the night JeffCo will likely be the easiest for him and unless there is something going on it's not full.

Again not try to be Argumentative but just trying to give options to Travelers who are from other areas - they might, like me, just be awe struck, every day I am in the Mountains of Colorado. You live in an unbelievably Beautiful state to drive in, so if you are from Michigan, every mile is an eyeopener, and IMHO every mile should be a chance for a Memory.

๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT - This is a fly fisher and the CG is On CLEAR CREEK - catch and release fly fishing is a very good spot.

One more added thought is to take Rt 128 out of Moab and follow the Colorado River to I-70 - Beautiful Drive.

Enjoy the fishing,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Another option might be Bear Creek Lake Park (Indian Paintbrush CG) run by the city of Lakewood. Check online to see if there are still sites available. Just four miles south of I-70 on C-470. Electricity, but no individual water at sites. But may be cheapest of all in the area at $20/night. Probably a little quieter, too, as it's furthest from the highway/major roads. Most space between sites, but few trees in the CG itself. Nice hiking trails around the lakes and but the creek.

The Jeffco Fairgrounds are close to the highway, so easy and quick access, but don't know if the water system to the sites is on yet? Just a big parking lot IMHO.

Of course Allison might pick Dakota Ridge only because it is less than a mile to Kohl's! ๐Ÿ˜‰

As far as I-70 vs. US 6, one might consider the time of day and what day. If it is the weekend as the OP said, Saturday afternoons heading down I-70 can be quite exhilarating with all the traffic returning from the mountains. Some people really fly down the last hills into Denver. :E US 6 is more scenic but slower and curvier. Plenty of pulloffs, too.

Cherry Creek and Chatfield are quite a bit out of the way.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:

Not as tight as the sites are in Dakota Ridge - just jump off I-70 at exit 244 Idaho Springs and Take Rt 6 right to the park/Golden, but the problem is not parking it's being able to get a site, then just take Rt 58 to I-70 - more beautiful drive and less traffic(Rt 6) - Just MHO, if you just need to pull off to sleep in a safe spot Jeffco would be the better option - right at the Fairgrounds and larger sites, more room.

Not trying to start an argument but....I've got more than a few hundred nights in these three locations, (Granddaughters live just up the road), so just saying, but Golden has been "Discovered" so it is just hard to get in - without a direct call to the desk.

BOL,

You missed my point about getting back on I70 quickly and that is why I suggested Dakota. Into and out of Clear Creek RV park will definitely have more time involved especially if you head down the twisty, tighter canyon of Hwy 6 to get into Golden, not debatable.

OP is spending time trail riding in Moab and may want an early start for the drive home, I know that would be my choice. I happen to be headed out for trail riding in Moab next week too so know the feeling.

BTW, your granddaughters must live close to where I live as I live just up the hill from that area.

Had this same argument with my Son for 10 years - about taking Rt 6 as a short cut to I-70) He will ski probably 40 + days and will often go for the day - (part of his Work/Job) once we were in two cars and I took the long - twisty - BEAUTIFUL - Tight - route and he took the Ugly, short route with only light traffic to Idaho springs - I had already ordered breakfast before he got there. So you are right it's Not debatable ๐Ÿ˜‰ - he now goes that way all the time - just more fun, and if you are going on through on 70 - Rt 58 is direct, so easy.

Having stayed In Dakota a number of times - it is very TIGHT and not that much fun to get in and out of - if it's just to pull off and spend the night JeffCo will likely be the easiest for him and unless there is something going on it's not full.

Again not try to be Argumentative but just trying to give options to Travelers who are from other areas - they might, like me, just be awe struck, every day I am in the Mountains of Colorado. You live in an unbelievably Beautiful state to drive in, so if you are from Michigan, every mile is an eyeopener, and IMHO every mile should be a chance for a Memory.

๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT - This is a fly fisher and the CG is On CLEAR CREEK - catch and release fly fishing is a very good spot.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:

BOL,

I love me some land yachting

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I love me some land yachting

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
flyfishing48 wrote:
Dakota West looks good. Don't know how I missed it in my search. It was on the list but I must have missed it on the map.
Thanks for tips everyone.

lockdoc wrote:
Do yourself a favor and check out Clear Creek Campground in Golden. We stayed there for several nights last May and will do so again. Their sites tend to stay full with no lag time when campers move out! That speaks volumes for the park.

We have also stayed at Jefferson County Fairgrounds and it was fine for a place to park with hookups for not a lot of money.

Having stayed in both/all - I Highly Recommend Golden Clear Creek, over Dakota Ridge , if you can get in - Right on the Creek, next to the Rec Center - Library - restaurants - ........ in Town near everything and IMHO just NICE.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

lockdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor and check out Clear Creek Campground in Golden. We stayed there for several nights last May and will do so again. Their sites tend to stay full with no lag time when campers move out! That speaks volumes for the park.

We have also stayed at Jefferson County Fairgrounds and it was fine for a place to park with hookups for not a lot of money.
2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 4093
Rotax 912 powered parachute
Loving DW, DS& soon to be DIL, DD GS Owners web site

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota West looks good. Don't know how I missed it in my search. It was on the list but I must have missed it on the map.
Thanks for tips everyone.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
flyfishing48 wrote:
The KOA is near Golden.
Looking just a little further out I see Pepper Pod in Hudson. Ratings are mid numbers, looks like it was a KOA at one time?

I would not recommend, since there are better options. Last ratings were from 2009 at rvparkreviews and they were terrible. They are about 30 miles east off I-76. Their website says they are near a railroad crossing and that if train noise bothers you, perhaps it's not right for you. That reads to me that it's likely a fairly busy train crossing.

If you're looking that far out, there's certainly other places to consider, such as Loveland at Boyd Lake SP, or the various State Parks in the Denver areaH E R E is the State Parks website, just use the drop down on the lower left side to select a state park. Those in the area are Cherry Creek, Chatfield, Golden Gate Canyon, St. Vrain and Boyd Lake.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility is the Jefferson County Fairgrounds campground: http://jeffco.us/fairgrounds/campground/ . We've never stayed there so I don't know much about it.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K