cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to dry camping

campgrl
Explorer
Explorer
We have our first dry camping trip planned for Memorial weekend. Arriving at campsite early evening Friday and leaving early afternoon Monday. We just bought a new Jayco 23B with 48 gals freshwater and 22.5 grey and black tanks. Our rig has LED lights and 6.3 cu ft fridge. It will be my husband, 11 yr old daughter and I camping. We plan to cook some meals on stove and some over the fire. With our fridge and water heater on propane (dual 20lb tanks) and water pump and lights on battery, will be ok without needing a genny to recharge the battery? We don't plan on showers and we will be using paper products to conserve on water. If we do run out of water there is hand pump directly across from our campsite we can fill our 5 gal containers and fill up again. We also have a tote to dump our grey water in if necessary. The only downfall is there are no dump stations in the campground so I'm not sure on how to transport that heavy tank to dump it. We have always had shore power so this will be a new, exciting, and long awaited way of camping for us. If it gets cold we won't be running the furnace either. Just bundling up! Thanks for any input.
34 REPLIES 34

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
campgrl wrote:
bought a Hyundai 2000 inverter generator. Couldn't see spending a grand on the Honda as the Hyundai was on $640 on Amazon. Read the reviews and for the price it looks like a great buy.
I hope you read ALL of the reviews.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
campgrl wrote:
Thank you everyone for the advice! When we picked up our new hybrid I had them parallel wire an additional battery. We also took the plunge and bought a Hyundai 2000 inverter generator. Couldn't see spending a grand on the Honda as the Hyundai was on $640 on Amazon. Read the reviews and for the price it looks like a great buy. With both batteries we should be ok running the furnace if necessary and be able to charge with genny during the day. The only downfall is that the genny only has a 20 amp outlet. If I use an adapter and plug the 30 amp shore power to the genny will that be sufficient to charge the batteries? Not sure how that works never using a genny.

Good move. You'll be fine charging with 20A, I do all the time with our Honda 2000W. I also charge at home with 15A.
Happy camping.

campgrl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the advice! When we picked up our new hybrid I had them parallel wire an additional battery. We also took the plunge and bought a Hyundai 2000 inverter generator. Couldn't see spending a grand on the Honda as the Hyundai was on $540 on Amazon. Read the reviews and for the price it looks like a great buy. With both batteries we should be ok running the furnace if necessary and be able to charge with genny during the day. The only downfall is that the genny only has a 20 amp outlet. If I use an adapter and plug the 30 amp shore power to the genny will that be sufficient to charge the batteries? Not sure how that works never using a genny.

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
We started with the 1 battery that came with the lightweight trailer seven years ago. We were given a brand new battery two months later and thought we were in heaven. We read at night with headlamps and that was great. We eventually changed to LEDs, as a number of respondents have suggested. Doubt if you need more power for three day weekends.

Might use the outdoor shower so that you don't fill up grey water. Ours has both hot and cold faucets. Would suggest getting a propane heater such as the Olympian Wave. It keeps the cabin warm at anything above freezing. It takes no electricity and all the heat remains in the cabin. The burn products are water and carbon dioxide. You should leave 3 square inches of window open to replenish oxygen. The forced air heaters blow about half the heat to the outside and are real energy hogs. We generally boondock and almost never stay at RV parks, but you can hear the generators going on at 3 in the morning because their batteries are dead and the heaters are not working.

We did go to solar and it is a slippery slope "the more you have, the more you want!" We cannot imagine traveling without it. Something to consider in the future but not needed for short trips.

Reed and Elaine

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't rush out to get a second battery, generator, etc., now. Give a 3-day camping trip a try and see how you fare first.

I found that I don't need any of them - I have more than enough power for how I camp with the one house battery. If I had bought a generator, it'd be sitting around taking up space for nothing; a second battery or even solar power would be unnecessary money spent. If, at some time in the future, I find my needs change, then I will consider the choices, but for now I'll save my money.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Get a 2nd battery....

That is good advice, along with a small generator with a battery charger. Otherwise, solar would be nice.
As stated earlier, as long as the RV has LED lights and isn't running the heater with a fan, the battery should last a long time.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 2nd battery....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Gjac wrote:
... use lanterns either gas or battery around the camp site and inside the trailer at night. ...

Please do not use gas lanterns inside unless the RV is very well vented!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
You got a lot of good detailed advice so far. But to answer your question directly you will not have a problem dry camping for a 3 day week end. You don't need a generator even with one battery probably 110 AH. I have 232 AH and at the end of 7 days the batteries at only discharged 50% and I shower in the MH. Also you will be camping so use lanterns either gas or battery around the camp site and inside the trailer at night. Even with your small tank size you will be fine but a good practice with small tanks and no where to dump is to bring a 5 gal container with you that has a spigot on the bottom that you can put on the out door table to wash your hands get water for cooking etc and just refill when need and dispose of the waste water like the tent campers do. Have fun you will be fine.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
campgirl,
To add to the confusion, here is a check list Jeanie and I made up specifically for our application. The info comes from hither and yon, but happens on a continuum.
Use this only as a template for your own app. Your list will vary. I printed this out and put the directions in see-through plastic binder pages. For the first few trips, we hung this opus on the door of the fridge: kind of like paint by the numbers.
jefe

LANCE 165-sx TRUCK CAMPER:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE

12-24 HOURS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

1. To sanitize fresh water system, drain, close drain, prepare a solution of 1 gallon of water with ยผ cup bleach per 15 gallons of tank capacity into fill spout. Fill tank with fresh water. Set pump swith to on. Open each faucet and water heater relief valve until water flows evenly. Set pump switch to off. Allow solution to stand for 3 hours. Drain and flush with fresh water. Fill fresh water tank with hose using 3/8 inch adapter nozzle.

2. Plug in 120v. AC exterior cord to house current. To cool down refrigerator prior to departure select AC on refrigerator. The ammonia transfer fridge works better if on level ground.

PREPARING FOR DEPARTURE:

1. Fill fresh water tank with hose using 3/8 inch adapter nozzle.
2. Be sure main propane valve is turned off.
3. Assuming your tanks are empty add 1 1/2 ounces of blue liquid deodorant treatment to toilet and follow with 3/4 of a gallon of water. You can also add a valve lubricant at this time
4. Add 1 ounce of same chemical to kitchen sink and follow with 1 quart water.
5. Close all camper windows and vents.
6. Be sure stopper in shower is closed to prevent black water back flush.
7. While traveling switch refrigerator from AC to DC on selector. If stopped for up to two hours, leave on DC. If longer, switch fridge to gas and light.

UPON ARRIVAL AT DESTINATION:

1. Level the truck camper. (Frig works less well if not on the flat)
2. Open main valve on propane tank. To pull propane through the system, try lighting the appliance farthest from the Tank first to flow the propane and push out the air in lines.
3. Light hot water heater per instructions written in water heater cabinet. When using faucets, toilet or shower water pump switch must be on. This switch may be left on when stationary. DO NOT RUN PUMP IF FRESH WATER SUPPLY IS EMPTY.
4. If self-contained/dry camping/ boondocking (no hookups) select GAS on refrigerator selector and follow lighting instructions inside frig. If you are stopped for up to two hours, leave on DC. If longer, switch fridge to gas and light.

4a. If furnace is needed, move lower switch on thermostat slightly to the right and select temperature on the top of the thermostat. Furnace has ignitor and will come on automatically after a short time. If furnace is not needed be sure lower on/off switch is all the way to the left to prevent fan from cycling on.
5. When using toilet add water only with small white lever before use, then move both levers to flush. Handy toilet cleaning brush is available in cabinet!!
6. To use shower, open floor drain strainer, open upper shower vent, pull shower curtain into U shape, adjust temperature level at sink, pull center lever for shower. To save water an ON/Off switch is located on the hand held wand.
7. If hookups are available: Hook up large black cord to AC power. Adapter may or may not be needed. Select AC on refrigerator.
9. City water connection is located facing down on left side of camper. When connected to city water pump is not needed and switch may be turned off.

UPON DEPARTURE:
1.If fridge will run at highway speeds on gas, leave on 'gas'. If it won't (as ours will not) close propane valve on main prop tank and in the water heater cabinet.
2. Disconnect any hookups and store the umbelicals.
3. Close floor drain in bathroom. Close all vents, windows, and faucets.
4. Secure all goods inside camper for travel.
5. If fridge will not run at highway speeds on gas select DC on fridge after starting the engine on the truck.

DUMPING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Park camper as close as possible to black water drain hole.
2. Don latex gloves.
3. Attach large sewer hose to camper black drain outlet. You may want the extension for awkward dumps.
4. Pull large knife valve to drain black water tank, allow tank to drain completely. Rinse and flush tank and drain hose through the toilet with a jug of water or if black water hose is provided at dumping station. When tank flow stops you may or may not want to push large handle in to close valve.
5. Pull smaller handle for gray water holding tank, allow to drain completely and flush with jug of water down kitchen sink. When tank outflow stops, close knife handle. Both valves should now be closed.
6. Remove sewer hose and replace outlet cap. Rinse out sewer hose with fresh water and remove sewer hose from dump station. Stow sewer hose.
7. Repeat chemical additives as outlined in departure instructions #3 and #4.
8. Remove rubber gloves and dispose. Wash hands with soap and hot water.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
The best teacher is to just jump in with all the good advice you can round up (some of which is above) and dry camp. If you want training wheels, dry camp on your property or driveway (as one poster above has recommended) with no hookups and get familiar with your rig and its propensity to use battery power and tank capacity. Resist the temptation to go back into the house for a respite.
I do remember, vaguely, our initial attempt to dry camp with the TC. I made a lot of mistakes and misjudgments those first few times, but they were my mistakes, not someone else's. Nothing devastating, but I did learn my own lessons. And those lessons continued through the four seasons.
Allow me to tell a story about my brother John and his first time dry camping in his very spacious 9.5' OUTFITTER/on ford F250. His mansion is on the right:

He took his rock crawler on trailer out to Means Dry Lake. The camper was brand new and has some electrical problems that only became apparent once you were using it. He had to do some wiring retrofitting on the lake bed. Luckily, he is a mechanical and electronic whiz kid. He and his wife liked to keep the soft side camper cozy warm and had the heater going all the time. It was winter time in the desert. Since they had a nice bathroom and shower to use, they used them with impunity to get the salty silt off their bods. Ah, this was the life! 2 showers a day for 3 days; use as much water as you need; heat up high; a fridge full of good eats; what could possibly go wrong? Toward the end of their first trip the grey and black tanks were showing signs of fullness. Very full. They were out of propane so the fridge stopped working on propane. They had used up their battery power enough that they could not use the fridge on DC. They were out of fresh. They were full of black and grey. W-what happened? This was one of the best LESSONS ever described to me about dry camping in an RV. Bro John limped out of camp with stuff gurgling and bubbling up trying to find the nearest dump station. Maybe my story does not impart the glee they had at the beginning of their first trip, but it was memorable, even to one who was not there.
I hang out on the Truck Camper forum and 90% of our truck camping is dry.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Who would want to stay out in isolation getting dusty, muddy swatting bugs and have smoke in yer face ๐Ÿ™‚

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Folks -- please don't tell the world that boondocking is easy -- we will be overrun! It is true that it is quieter and more peaceful than campgrounding ( there is no noun that cannot be verbed). But if we make it seem too alluring, the floodgates will open.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Note: Running the furnace will run down your batteries fast.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel