cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New York City?

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any suggestions for an RV park near enough to NYC that one could take the train in for a day and then back out in the evening?
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch
9 REPLIES 9

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
When visiting our daughter in Manhattan, we stay at Croton point park in Westchester county. The metro north commuter train station is about a mile from the park. A site for non-residents was about 50.00. The train to Grand Central station is about a 45 minute scenic ride much of it along the Hudson river.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
All that said, if you really don't want to be that close to the city, just close enough to visit for a day, a nice option is the KOA in Newburgh, NY. It's got some great sites (even some fairly private pull-thru FHU ones) and they have bus tours to the city that pick up right at the CG. If you want to go on your own, they can direct you to the commuter train closest/easiest to get to from the CG. Some nice historical sites in the area too; that area was Geo. Washington's HQ during part of the Revolutionary War, and there are several sites of interest close by.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Merrykalia wrote:
You will have lots that will suggest many parks and campgrounds where they have a bus or a train, but if you don't want to spend all of your time on the bus or train, stay at Liberty Harbor. Yes, it's a parking lot with water/electric. You aren't there to "camp", but to see the city. From the campground, you can walk a couple of blocks, 3 at the most, to the PATH train that will take you directly to 34th St (Times Square) or to the World Trade Center (WTC). Trains run every 10-15 minutes, so even if you have just missed one, another will be along shortly. At the 34th St, you can hit the NYC Subway system and get to anywhere quickly. I think the longest we were getting into and out of the city was on July 3rd, coming out of Times Square following a show, so it was about 10:30 pm. The city was packed for the 07/04 festivities. It probably took us 45 minutes. We never went in or out during morning or evening rush hour.

The RV Park is pretty basic, but it has a great view of the Statue of Liberty, it's right on the water and there is a restaurant/marina adjacent to the park. There is security, but we never felt unsafe walking back and forth from the train and we had two children who were 5 and 8 at the time.

Yep. we were there the 5th through the 8th of July. Keep in mind that the Path train doesn't run to the WTC memorial on the weekends because they are doing upgrades or something on the weekends. so you have to transfer at 34th street with passes they give you. Still easy to get around. we took the Path and the ferries.

Keep in mind the guy in the 5th wheel was parked wrong and 5 feet into my site, but they are still tight!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an excellent review of Liberty Harbor but a fellow RVer with a 40' MH. She also writes how to get there, pictures and things to do in the city.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=liberty+harbor
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I would vote Liberty Harbor as well. You don't actually have to drive into New York which can be stressful with an RV. As has already been mentioned, the PATH trains run regularly and their stops in NYC are good launch points for sightseeing. There are campgrounds farther West in NJ where you could take a train or bus, but you'd spend 2 hours each way commuting.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liberty Harbor is probably your best bet.

Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn has bus service to the subway, maybe 1-1.5 hours from Times Square. You do have to drive through Brooklyn to get there. No hookups, though a dump station is available, and being a NPS campground the rates are reasonable. They also have a tent camping area that looks pretty decent.

Croton Point Park also has decent access to public transit (commuter rail), about an hour and a half to Times Square it looks like.

For a day or two, I would stay at Liberty Harbor. For a longer period of time, I might choose something else. I have stayed at Floyd Bennet Field and it worked out fine for me, but I would not suggest it for all people and situations.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You will have lots that will suggest many parks and campgrounds where they have a bus or a train, but if you don't want to spend all of your time on the bus or train, stay at Liberty Harbor. Yes, it's a parking lot with water/electric. You aren't there to "camp", but to see the city. From the campground, you can walk a couple of blocks, 3 at the most, to the PATH train that will take you directly to 34th St (Times Square) or to the World Trade Center (WTC). Trains run every 10-15 minutes, so even if you have just missed one, another will be along shortly. At the 34th St, you can hit the NYC Subway system and get to anywhere quickly. I think the longest we were getting into and out of the city was on July 3rd, coming out of Times Square following a show, so it was about 10:30 pm. The city was packed for the 07/04 festivities. It probably took us 45 minutes. We never went in or out during morning or evening rush hour.

The RV Park is pretty basic, but it has a great view of the Statue of Liberty, it's right on the water and there is a restaurant/marina adjacent to the park. There is security, but we never felt unsafe walking back and forth from the train and we had two children who were 5 and 8 at the time.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liberty Harbor RV Park. very close to the trains and ferries into NYC. Nothing more than a parking lot converted to a place to park your RV with water and Electric. But still worth it for location!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mfredm
Explorer
Explorer
there's an rv park at liberty city. you can take the ferry into manhattan