cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping at Grand Canyon

JimandAileen
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a RV camp ground at or near grand canyon. I am not having any luck. Can anyone provide me names of places. I did check with the Campgrounds for Grand Canyon but they are full and have no room at the end of Sept and Oct 2018. I am hoping to find a spot for about 3 days in or near Grand Canyon. I need a full hook up with 30 amps. I do not mind a short drive something under 20 miles from the park. Thanks for the help
15 REPLIES 15

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Per a reporter at the Chicago Tribune:The typical visitor takes a brief look into the Grand Canyon and departs pumped full of wonder. The typical stay lasts from five to seven hours, according to park surveys, and the average time spent looking at the canyon is 17 minutes.

I would agree that was my initial experiences as I've never hiked over the rim. I may have hiked a 100 yards down one of the trails. Friends that have been said the same thing.. couple hours...snap some shots and head back. I envy anyone's first visit because that's when you realize pictures do not do it justice. I always tell first timers go to the south for the sweeping vistas. I've never camped on the rims even after several visits. I tried to camp at Toroweap Point but broke a leaf spring 5 miles from my destination. ๐Ÿ˜ž Now I have been to Phantom Ranch to buy a shirt and mail a post card to my parents but it's a secret on how I got there ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Dick B usually says average time spent at Grand Canyon is 3 hours; I keep asking him where he got that info; never has told me.

North Rim is very limited viewing of the Grand Canyon.

Train ride from Williams is mainly train ride and very limited viewing time of South Rim and from one spot.

Stay at Trailer Village if you can.

The SR has many varied viewing areas and so beautiful. We will be there again in Sept.

It depends if you want to say you BEEN to the Grand Canyon or SEEN the Grand Canyon.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Circle Pines KOA. Indoor pool and hot tubs. About an hour to the canyon. I could recommend some other nice,closer campgrounds but you want FHU.

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed in Williams at Railside RV Ranch. It's about 50 miles south of the Canyon, I realize that's not what you wanted. Right next to the train station. It's an EXCELLENT place to stay IMO. It's a bit of a drive to get to the Canyon. Great little downtown area. for us it was worth it as we day tripped to Sedona as well.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
There is Grand Canyon camper village right outside the south entrance in Tusayan. It also has a shuttle stop at least during the busy season. Best campground ever no but it was fine and convenient didnโ€™t go to the Grand Canyon to hang out in the campground and actually found it no worse than trailer village inside the park at least compared to the two previous times we had stayed that trailer village in the park.

+1 on camper village. Very convenient and a nice enough park. Walking distance to shuttle stop, IMAX, and a few restaurants and shops.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd staying in Williams. About an hour to the canyon.
But there is much to do around Williams. Bearizona animal park, zip line, deer petting zoo, fun route 66 town, fishing etc. We stay at Grand Canyon Railway RV park. It is owned by the GC train and hotel next door.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
There is Grand Canyon camper village right outside the south entrance in Tusayan. It also has a shuttle stop at least during the busy season. Best campground ever no but it was fine and convenient didnโ€™t go to the Grand Canyon to hang out in the campground and actually found it no worse than trailer village inside the park at least compared to the two previous times we had stayed that trailer village in the park.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Yes definitely stay inside the park when possible, trailer village does have water and electric hook-ups, don't recall there being sewer.

As I recall there's a fairly large private CG just outside the south entrance.

Was there last October...it's FHU, including sewer. Interestingly, staff there recommend that you DON'T leave your sewer hose out all the time, only when you need to dump. Reason? The CROWS! They apparently love to peck holes in the sewer hoses. Whenever I put my hose out, they would watch intently. Had to keep an eye on the hose while I dumped the holding tank, then put the hose away.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
What did you plan to do for three days? Most people take a few pictures and get on their way; unless you plan to do some hiking.
If no hiking I'd stay in Williams and take the train.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
This is an idea-camp in Williams, Az. Take the train to the Grand Canyon. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Village in the park is great. Full hookups and cable. Short walk to the rim. Shuttle stop at campground entrance. Very short walk to store, gift shop etc.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems like Flint Stone Village was about 30 minutes south on 64 towards Willams.
I will say it is better in the park. Just spent 3 nights in a park lodge, you cannot describe the beauty!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
We now prefer the North Rim being less crowded and stayed at Jacob Lake campground some 45 minutes to the North Rim Grand Canyon. Got lucky the previous season with early reservations with our camp site just a few steps to the rim.

Enjoy!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Yes definitely stay inside the park when possible, trailer village does have water and electric hook-ups, don't recall there being sewer.

As I recall there's a fairly large private CG just outside the south entrance.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed