cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NY State Parks and RV's

Surfrat
Explorer
Explorer
While I have a truck camper and usually use it on the beach, I have read here people looking for a camp site near NY City.
Well Jones Beach State park has a parking lot ( Lot #1 ) that has not been used for years. This Lot would make a perfect RV park capable of holding 150 or more RV's. More than half pull thoughs. Not only close to the NY City by car or even local train ( park has bus service to train ). Located on the far end of the beach's boardwalk and steps to the beach and ocean a beautiful location. The cost to make it a great RV park would be minimal. The large old concession stand needs some updating but has showers, baths, office space etc.
I put together a working five year plan with drawings to achieve it, and had it presented to the State. Starting with first year boon docking and as it got going, updated with hookups etc. The State liked the idea but cried no money. Yet they spent 4 million on bike paths the last two years. At this time they have been given 72 million to update the whole park and are asking for public input and ideas. Other than Hither Hills on the eastern tip of Long island you would think NY State Parks system does not like RV's. Even Hither Hills could be doubled in size, yet they refuse.
So maybe a letter to the NY State Parks asking why, would help change their minds.
Again this would not be something I would use but it would both bring added tourism to Long Island and be a great destination for my fellow RV'ers.
4 REPLIES 4

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
Would be nice to have an additional beachfront RV Park on Long Island, would boost tourism, could probably run at a profit if planned well. The other LI campgrounds with ocean access are very popular and it's a challenge to get reservations.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Wildwood State Park in Wading River Long Island. They have a rather large RV section with full hookups W/E/S. They only charge $28 per night.

I also see you are a Nassau County resident, which allows you to use Nickerson Beach CG and Battle Row CG, both have full hookups.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

esfd243
Explorer
Explorer
Post the address of where to send the letters to or the electronic link for email.
Mike, Dawn & Mallori
2016 Hemisphere 368RLBH
2012 Chevy 2500 HD D/A 3.73

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind writing a letter to promote your idea, but I do think it's a stretch to say that the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation does not like RV's when they maintain about 8500 campsites throughout the state, most of which are suitable for RV's of various types and sizes.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate