cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ocean Lakes Family Campground - HOLY GOLF CARTS!!!!!!

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
Currently staying at OLFC in Myrtle Beach. Before we came here we read that it was a big place, and can get very crowded, but I didn't realize the golf cart population would outnumber the people!
I attempted to go to the laundry facility in my pickup on Saturday to wash some bedding that got soiled due to a sick child, it took me 30 minutes to go less than half a mile just to find a parking lot full of golf carts, I was not happy. I understand why the golf carts are so popular around here, if you don't have one or rent one you are going to be very frustrated when you try to go anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice park, with very nice amenities, nice people, and nice facilities. I just don't care for how populated it is. Just too many people and golf carts for our liking. We will probably look elsewhere next year for our family vacation.

We'll be here a few more days, maybe some of the crowd will depart after today.
2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Radiance 31DSBH
76 REPLIES 76

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
If anything is gleaned from this thread,
is PLEASE golf cart owners, don't just send your kids off in the morning in the golf cart to ride around all day out of 'your' hair.

I found the golf carts driven by the kids where absolutely the most annoying and worse yet created the worst safety issues. No regard for other peoples campsites and created dangerous situations on the roads within the CG where the cars drove.

I full-time so I have the ease of the option to be able to stay away from CG's that allow golf carts.
Although I honestly still don't see how people think golf carts fit into RV/camping whether it be boondocking or at a CG.

Agree with your first point about the kids. ๐Ÿ™‚

As for your second point, everybody has their own opinion. I don't see how people think sitting around reading a book fits into RV/camping. But I don't complain about them.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
It only took me 2 CG stays with golf carts, were they coming at me from all directions, to realize that I would only stay at CG's that did 'not' allow them.

If anything is gleaned from this thread,
is PLEASE golf cart owners, don't just send your kids off in the morning in the golf cart to ride around all day out of 'your' hair.

I found the golf carts driven by the kids where absolutely the most annoying and worse yet created the worst safety issues. No regard for other peoples campsites and created dangerous situations on the roads within the CG where the cars drove.

I full-time so I have the ease of the option to be able to stay away from CG's that allow golf carts.
Although I honestly still don't see how people think golf carts fit into RV/camping whether it be boondocking or at a CG.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
First, you state, "The problem is you cannot put e z ups on the beach any longer." This is not entirely correct. You can use the "EZ up" tents on the beach from the day after Labor day until the day before Memorial day provided it is 12x12 or smaller, and less than 9 feet tall. You space it 10 feet from any other tent or umbrella, don't block lifeguard, and it is allowed and legal.

During the summer, you can not have the tents but beach umbrellas as large as 7.5 feet in diameter are allowed. Any shading device has to be behind the umbrella line.

You state that "you can take your dogs out with you at certain times of the year I agree" and that is not correct either. Dogs are allowed on the beach at any time from the day after Labor day till April 30. During peak summer they are not allowed on the beach between 10 am and 5 pm. There is no time of year that they are restricted completely from the beach as you suggest. That gives you approximately 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the evening of daylight during this time of year plus any night time hours year round. The Myrtle Beach is not dog friendly thing that is being pushed just does not wash at all.

I have been to the Outer Banks and it is certainly less crowded no matter what time of year I go. I like most beaches but I understand that every place is unique and special in one way or another.

It could be that the facts are just not known but sounds like someone had a bad experience in this area.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you can take your dogs out with you at certain times of the year I agree. But we put our 12x12 e z up around 8 in the morning and our dogs enjoy being in the shade with us all day. We have cold water for them and the ocean breeze keeps all of us cool with an occasional dip in the ocean. The problem is you cannot put e z ups on the beach any longer. I think your umbrella also has to be a certain diameter but I am not sure about that. I am not bashing MB as it certainly has its high points but we prefer the Outer Banks mainly due to the crowds. Being retired it makes it easier for us to skip some of the months when it is crowded anywhere we go.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
Why are some saying "they have a problem with this?"

The place is always packed. Most often, they stay booked solid and they're making money hand over fist. The main reason we go is because its huge, they have a lot of stuff to do, and we can take our golf cart.

To each his own. But saying "they" have a problem with this isn't quite correct.

I agree with you here. I wish that the OP, losingit had done better research before coming to Myrtle Beach. There are campgrounds with restrictions on carts in the area. If you hate golf carts pick one of those. It is bad that he was not satisfied.
There are posts that state Myrtle Beach is not dog friendly. What are they basing that on?? There is a restriction where no dogs are allowed on the beach during the middle of the day during the summer months but who drags their poor dog onto a hot beach in the middle of summer? Take the pooch out early in the day or late in the afternoon. In my travels I have found this area to be very dog friendly. Do not take my word for it, research it for yourself!

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Holy Golf Carts? How about holy being packed in tighter than a Bulls butt in fly season?

I was totally unfamiliar with this place, but checked it out after reading through this thread. The wife has been wanting to camp at a beach location for a few years but this will not be the place. I guess if it floats your boat have at it. Personally I don't get it. Some of those pads are less than 12' from the next. I am thinking condo or hotel and flying down, the hell with that place and places like it.

You are spot on, the sites are tight and close. The first two days we were there both sites next to us had 2 vehicles each, a trailer for their golf carts and their golf carts. Trying to find a place just to park my truck was a chore in itself. Luckily the third day one of those folks pulled out and I was able to park pretty easily.

In all honesty, if you are going there to spend time at your site, you are going to the wrong place. The only times we were at our site was to eat and sleep, the rest of the time we were at the pool, beach, or out seeing the sites.
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
We love Ocean Lakes, were there last summer. The golf cart's are totally out of control.

Management should consider a weekend golf cart ban for July and August to give everyone a break, even for just a couple of days a week. They could call it "exercise and environment weekends"!

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
Why are some saying "they have a problem with this?"

The place is always packed. Most often, they stay booked solid and they're making money hand over fist. The main reason we go is because its huge, they have a lot of stuff to do, and we can take our golf cart.

To each his own. But saying "they" have a problem with this isn't quite correct.

I guess you are right, people who own golf carts are their "target market". The rest of us go off season, or elsewhere. And they all stay booked solid
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Holy Golf Carts? How about holy being packed in tighter than a Bulls butt in fly season?

I was totally unfamiliar with this place, but checked it out after reading through this thread. The wife has been wanting to camp at a beach location for a few years but this will not be the place. I guess if it floats your boat have at it. Personally I don't get it. Some of those pads are less than 12' from the next. I am thinking condo or hotel and flying down, the hell with that place and places like it.

Gosh I hate that. So looked forward to meeting you and your "great" attitude. :R

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
One great thing about this thread. People who gripe and moan about golf carts and tight spaces and whatever will be going somewhere. Sounds like a win win for everyone.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also at PL, the golf carts get parked at 11pm. By 11:02 there is Nothing's but the sounds of the waves crashing! That was great. Very well organized.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
At Ocean Lakes with the campground and rental houses during the 4th of July, I would say there are 30,000+ people there now. Ocean Lakes is the largest campground on the east coast and that is not counting the huge rental house population. It is going to be crowded on a major holiday. We wouldn't even consider going right now. We go at the end of September and the campground is maybe 1/2 full during the week and the rental houses are almost empty. During Christmas there are even less. We get a golf cart each time and love it. Drive around and the dog(15 year old lab) just smiles riding around all day.

Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your stay. I hope some of the crowd departs, but doubt it. There is that old saying of "If you can't beat them, join them." Again, hope the rest of your trip is enjoyable.

Thanks! We did have a good trip. When we were at the park we spent most of the time in the pool/water park. With a 6 year old and a 2 year old it was plenty of fun for them. The beach was just too crowded to keep track of them safely.

Don't get me wrong, OL is a great place to visit! The park is awesome, the staff was awesome! But I think they should do a bit more policing of the golf carts and who is driving them (kids).
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Most posts in this thread sound like people who don't have golf carts complaining because other people do have golf carts.

As a golf cart owner, I'm not saying that they can't become a problem when left unchecked, but it sounds to me like the park in question is especially friendly toward them.

We rented a cart, it was really the only easy way to get around the park and I could see if anyone spent any amount of time at this park why they would want to buy one.
I think the biggest issues were the young drivers (there were KIDS driving around on carts at all hours of the day) and the parking situation (one golf cart to a full size parking space, when 2 could easily fit).
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
losingit wrote:
Currently staying at OLFC in Myrtle Beach. Before we came here we read that it was a big place, and can get very crowded, but I didn't realize the golf cart population would outnumber the people!
I attempted to go to the laundry facility in my pickup on Saturday to wash some bedding that got soiled due to a sick child, it took me 30 minutes to go less than half a mile just to find a parking lot full of golf carts, I was not happy. I understand why the golf carts are so popular around here, if you don't have one or rent one you are going to be very frustrated when you try to go anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice park, with very nice amenities, nice people, and nice facilities. I just don't care for how populated it is. Just too many people and golf carts for our liking. We will probably look elsewhere next year for our family vacation.

We'll be here a few more days, maybe some of the crowd will depart after today.

OL has had a problem with that for years. We haven't returned because of it. Has management got the wild younger drivers under control? They were a huge problem a few years ago, nearly hitting people and pets.

We like the quieter SC state parks in that area. Edisto State Park (which will reopen it's oceanfront camping in Sept); Myrtle Beach State Park; Huntington Beach SP (our favorite) and Hunting Island SP (another favorite). Most of them have repaired their camping areas after the hurricane damage and are either reopened or are in the process of reopening.
Here's the SC State Park Finder with links to each of the above state parks and their info.
SC State Park Finder

We just didn't care much for the area, too pricey and way too crowded. We probably won't return, but thank you for the link!
No, they still let the "kids" run around on the golf carts. Our 6 year old almost got run over chasing a ball. Thank goodness she wasn't hit!
2014 Radiance 31DSBH