cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ocean Waves reservation confirmed. Couple of ?'s

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Got the conformation email from Ocean Waves last week.

Is it difficult backing into the sites? (I don't know which site we have). I asked for one on the right side (facing the ocean) so that afternoon sun would be behind us.

Been to OBX twice but just as a refresher what exactly should I prepare for? Wind? Will I be able to grill? Bugs? Places to visit? We have done the lighthouse, lost colony, wright brothers stuff...still will revisit some of those sites.

We would like to head south to Ocrakoke island. What should we see? Do?

Grocery stores? Gas stations? Ice cream?

Thanks.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
16 REPLIES 16

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
That's what I did when I bought our 5th wheel. Took some cones and set them up to practice backing between. Always a good idea to practice a bit before setting out for the first time.

No the first time but first time backing into a site like the ones at Ocean Waves.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's what I did when I bought our 5th wheel. Took some cones and set them up to practice backing between. Always a good idea to practice a bit before setting out for the first time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
byrdr1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Folks usually gather 'round when a long rig pulls in, just to watch the show and critique the performance. ๐Ÿ™‚

We came in from the north, no ferries.

I quit doing this once I got my 5er.
The TT I could put it anywhere anytime.. The 5er takes more expertise.
So I would watch and offer advise in my mind when I had TT..I never would say anything out loud.. NOW I just keep my mouth shut..
I have been lucky with 5er so far.. BUT never say never.. My day is coming.. and the wife will have to get out of the truck as she likes to let me know how I should do it... and that is not good when I am having a problem.
randy

I plan to go to my high school & practice backing in. I don't have a lot of experience backing.

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Folks usually gather 'round when a long rig pulls in, just to watch the show and critique the performance. ๐Ÿ™‚

I quit doing this once I got my 5er.
The TT I could put it anywhere anytime.. The 5er takes more expertise.
So I would watch and offer advise in my mind when I had TT..I never would say anything out loud.. NOW I just keep my mouth shut..
I have been lucky with 5er so far.. BUT never say never.. My day is coming.. and the wife will have to get out of the truck as she likes to let me know how I should do it... and that is not good when I am having a problem.
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Can't answer you question, but have a question of my own for you. We had planned to visit Ocean Waves but might change our plans. We are from St Louis, MO and had planned to arrive via the southern route, coming from Northern GA. Checked out the ferry info to get to Ocean Waves and it all sounded quite crowded and cumbersome with the possibility of delays. My question is:
How do you plan to arrive at Ocean Waves? From the north? Taking Ferries?
Thanks

Don't miss an opportunity to take one of our ferries.

The NC Ferry Service is the most efficient government agency I've yet encountered. Coming in from the south you'll have two ferry options, Cedar Island to Ocracoke or Swan Quarter to Ocracoke. Both accept reservations, both take roughly 2.5 hours to make the crossing and both have a fee. I'd plan on spending at least the first night on Ocracoke at the NPS campground (reservations available). The Ocracoke to Hatteras ferry is free and runs at least hourly and more frequently in the summer.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a Quad Cab long bed truck and 34' 5vr.......had to have neighbors across the way move their car until I got backed in.
Not a big deal.

We used the ferry service to leave
Hatteras to Ocracoke was free..about 45 mins
Ocracoke to Cedar Island was $45 and about 2 1/2 hrs.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It should be pretty easy with a 32' 5th wheel. The road is narrow and the sites are fairly narrow, but once you get in it's all good. Definitely the nicest campground of the three nearby.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Due to the narrow road and the tight quarters, it can be a bit of a challenge getting a long rig into some of these spots. It took us a couple tries with our long bed Diesel dually and 39' toyhauler. You'll most likely have to have some folks move their trucks if they're parked across from your spot.

We have a 32' 5th wheel.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will hit two of the posters questions. Gas/diesel stations not a problem. Two of them within a mile or so of the cg. There is a Food Lion in Avon about 15 miles south on NC 12. There is a Dairy Queen within walking distance of the cg but about 2 miles south of the cg there is a shop called Island Connery which has hand dipped ice cream that we like much better than the DQ. You can grill, generally the skitters do not pick up until August but they generally have a pickup that comes thru and sprays for them. Wind is generally always a light breeze but in the event of thunderstorms or Northeaster's it can be a little tight. I have been in there with a 31 foot tag behind, 30 foot fiver and now a motor home and I have never had a problem. As someone stated you may need to ask your neighbors to move their vehicle and that has never been a problem either.

And lastly, I have been to the Outer Banks every way there is. The quickest and best way to get there is to take US 64 all the way to Hwy 12 at Whalebone junction. The ferries are ok but it will take much longer to arrive. You can come in from the North on 168 or 158 but that is generally the heaviest traffic you will encounter. You also come in on the north end of the Outer Banks and have to travel the bypass all the way to get to NC 12 at Whalebone junction.

Safe travels
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Others have covered Ocean Waves, so I'll just respond to your question about Ocracoke.

We stay at the NPS campground there. No hookups, but there is a dump station and water spigots around the campground. They take reservations. There is private campground in the town of Ocracoke, but we never stayed there.

Ocracoke Village Travel Info.

There is a public parking lot near the ferry terminal in the village and we take our bikes to ride around, as the streets are narrow. There is also a nice short hike at Springer's Point, which is near the lighthouse.

We like to have lunch at The Jolly Roger to watch the boats and pelicans in the harbor.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Due to the narrow road and the tight quarters, it can be a bit of a challenge getting a long rig into some of these spots. It took us a couple tries with our long bed Diesel dually and 39' toyhauler. You'll most likely have to have some folks move their trucks if they're parked across from your spot.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sites are perpendicular (straight vs angled) to road and right across from each other.
Might need to have vehicles moved if parked in site across from yours when backing in

Came in north end via 158 and left out south end via ferry to Ocrakoke Island (free) and then ferry over to Cedar Island ($45)
Made reservations ----piece of cake and enjoyable
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
zackyboy3rs wrote:
garmp1 wrote:
Can't answer you question, but have a question of my own for you. We had planned to visit Ocean Waves but might change our plans. We are from St Louis, MO and had planned to arrive via the southern route, coming from Northern GA. Checked out the ferry info to get to Ocean Waves and it all sounded quite crowded and cumbersome with the possibility of delays. My question is:
Thanks

From the north. No ferries.

If using the ferries you might need to check to see if you need a reservation.?. I am not sure.

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Thanks

From the north. No ferries.