cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oklahoma to NC - SC trip

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't sure whether to post in RV pks or route & roads. We are planning a trip from SW Oklahoma to Havelock, NC down to Charleston, SC then back home. Traveling with husband and mini schnauzer in Fifth, no children.
We will be taking I-40 towards Havelock. Our trip will be around 25 days. Never have been to N or S Carolina. Looking for campgrounds suggestions along the way, Sites to see and great places to eat on the coast (seafood). Doesn't have to be fancy. We were looking at stopping around Little Rock 1 night, Nashville 1 night, stopping around Greensboro 1 night, Arriving in Havelock over Labor Day weekend. Leaving on Tues and driving south. Any suggestions we would appreciate. We have been to Nashville before and will be stopping in Nashville on the way home and spending a few nights there. Thanks Deb

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use Woodalls and this site for suggestions on RV parks. We have always had great suggestions from RV.net. We have decided to drive from Havelock to Ft. Fisher 9/2-4, Then to somewhere around Myrtle Beach area 9/4-6, Then to Charleston 9/6-11, Asheville 9/11-13. Concert in the park. Gatlinburg 9/13-15. Nashville 16-20. Then head to AR then home by the 22. Unfortunately back to work! Thanks again for the suggestions. Deb
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
21 REPLIES 21

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
First I want to Thank everyone for all their suggestions. We left the end of Aug. for our trip. We planned on staying in Ft. Smith 1st night. Unfortunately, we broke down in Checotah, OK. After spending 4 hrs. waiting for a tow we spent the night at the KOA Checotah Lake Eufaula West, OK. Very nice right off of I-40. So we had to re-adjust our plans of stay. The next day we didn't get off until 3 pm. So we headed to Toad Suck Ferry, Conway, AR. Another nice place to stay. We ended up taking I-40 thru the top of Memphis. Wasn't as bad as we expected. We went thru at 10:40 am and thru by 11:00. We took it slow and was careful like posted. Our next stay was Bean Pot Campground, Crossville,TN. Nice also. Next stop was Greensboro Campground, Greensboro, NC. They put us in their overflow which was great, pull thru and not crowded, easy for one night. Our next stop was MCAS Cherry Point, NC Pelican Point RV Park. If you are military this is a great place. We had family station there. Off then to Ft. Fisher., Kure Beach, NC. The RV campsite was okay. We just slept there. Walking distance to the beach which was really nice. Myrtle Beach State Park CG. it was nice with the beach right there. Pull thru site was hard to get into and crowded. Staff really nice. Charleston, SC we stayed at James Island CG. it was okay. If you had kids the waterpark would be great. Staff not that friendly. They were going to put us in a site that was floating in water. It worked fine for us. We had planned to go to Ashville, NC, but a friend from 35 yrs. ago contacted us (facebook). They live in Gilbert, SC. so we stayed at Mr. Z's rv park. Nice people & pool to cool off in. Next stop was Carrollton, GA. We stayed in John Tanner Park. A hidden gem of a park. Next stop Nashville, TN. J. Percy Priest Seven Points CG. we stayed 4 days. Very nice sites and staff that run it. Headed back to AR. this time stayed at Village Creek State Park, Wynne,AR. Worth the 13 miles off the highway to stay. Beautiful level site. Thanks again for all the great places suggested and we also found lots of seafood to eat even tried as suggested Shrimp and Grits. Unfortunately, back to work Monday ๐Ÿ˜ž

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
US70 runs beside I-40,not 44.Tom Sawyer Park in West Memph is a great park.It is right beside the Sippi River.I-40from Little Rock to east of Memphis can be a nitemare due to construction.Be safe

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Debbie wrote:
Reccomendations for myrtle beach, sc

Looking for a place to stay? Huntington Beach State Park is a few miles south of MB, in Murrells Inlet. Great campground, some FHU, and away from the madness of myrtle. http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/huntingtonbeach/introduction.aspx

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Reccomendations for myrtle beach, sc

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
Have you checked out the military Fam Camps in the Charleston area?

GM

Yes have checked it out. They don't take reservations but we are keeping them in mind. Thanks

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Between Ft Fisher, NC and Charleston, SC is Huntington Beach St Park. You can check availability online. Very nice park with both full hookup and water/elec only. Non full hookup sites tend to be larger. It is on the ocean with a short walk to beach thru dunes. You can't see the water from campsites. Also great place to bike ride and it's pet friendly. Leashed dogs allowed on beach.
Have not stayed there, but have heard the Mt Pleasant KOA is very nice. The location would seem to be much better for you than James Island which is a high traffic area on far side of town. The Mt P KOA is near updated highways/connector to Isle of Palms which has great beach and access to downtown Charleston area.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked out the military Fam Camps in the Charleston area?

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Suggest you check out the KOA on the north side of the Cooper River. We definitely are NOT KOA people but this is an exception. Lots of good eating places on and around Shem Creek. James Island is several miles from downtown Charleston and the traffic is not kind getting over there. Last time we stayed there, there were overhanging limbs on both access streets getting there. I shudder to think if it were raining and the limbs hanging any lower.
Beaufort and Hunting Island SP is interesting (IF) you can get a reservation. Beach is great for kids. Light house is accessible and there is a huge fishing pier.

I see there are two KOA's one is in Mt. Pheasant,SC. Looks like it is close to town. The other is north but looks way out of town. We will be seeing a friend who is stationed on base/lives off and checking out sights in Charleston. Have never been to Charleston need a place that is not too far from things. We have a small dog and will have to be let out every 4 to 5 hours. The reviews on the James Island all talk about the traffic.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suggest you check out the KOA on the north side of the Cooper River. We definitely are NOT KOA people but this is an exception. Lots of good eating places on and around Shem Creek. James Island is several miles from downtown Charleston and the traffic is not kind getting over there. Last time we stayed there, there were overhanging limbs on both access streets getting there. I shudder to think if it were raining and the limbs hanging any lower.
Beaufort and Hunting Island SP is interesting (IF) you can get a reservation. Beach is great for kids. Light house is accessible and there is a huge fishing pier.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to Charleston, James Island County Park has a great campground, or Oak Plantation RV Park on John's Island...Make a trip to Folly Beach (just a few miles from Charleston)to Locklear's Restaurant, it's right on the water with a pier you can walk out on...Try their Shrimp and Grits.

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions as always they are really helpful.
Our trip schedule was depending on booking reservations at
Pelican Point. Confirmed Reserv.Aug 30th-Sept 2nd. My nephew is stationed there. Next confirmed resv. at Ft. Fisher Sept. 2-5. Now I was looking at places to stay in between Ft. Fisher and Charleston. Looked at all the Woodall reviews and would like something on the beach or beach access that is a close walk. Any suggestions or favorites are welcome.
Now for Charleston. Has anyone stay at the Charleston Fan Camp? Is it a drive from the Fan Camp into Charleston?
I will have more questions later. Thanks again Deb

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
Greensboro camping is the pits, I would say the High Point lake(oak hollow CG) would be great.
Havelock,NC Stay on US 70 and cross the bridge on US17 from NewBern and stay at the KOA(Bridgeton) US17 just across the Neuse River from NewBern. Great place to stay great campground hosts. You are just a short drive to Havelock and the Morehead city and the beach on US 70. NO camping in Havelock or Morehead city areas.
At Myrtle Beach you are cutting it close to Labor day weekend rates and very full campgrounds around that area.If the big 4(ocean lakes, lakewood, pirate land, Myrtle Beach travel park) in the area are full check the MB KOA thats not ocean front or the new one Cypress Resort on the intracoastal waterway. Its off SC-544 which is right off US-17 bypass. get up and head on down US-17 to Charleston. There are 2 state parks in the area so you can see online reserve America if they have openings also. MB state Park and Huntington Beach State park.
Charleston I would say James Island county park.. Best around the area..that is local county park run by the county and its on a marsh inland from the ocean..It has a water park open to the public, well the whole park is but the campground is private to the campers..
Hope this helps..
if You stop in THE Greensboro area and you need help for anything let me know... I'll give you contact info for emergencies.. My neck of the woods..
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Just east of Asheville is Asheville East KOA in Swannanoa, NC. Recommend this for your stop. Friendly campground, laundry, full hookups, creek & lake. Grocery store/restaurants minutes away. Easy access to KOA from I 40 (Swannanoa exit).

Same exit has Mama Gerties which is a nice campground but requires you drive up a fairly steep slope to sites that would accomodate you.

Edit: forgot to mention both are dog friendly, KOA has a small enclosed fenced area where dog can be off leash. Large enough for our Aussie to enjoy off leash.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
I see that you are a Senior Member, so I'm sure you have experience at this. Altus to Little Rock is just under 500 miles. Pretty good days journey, and more than I like to do, but that's me.
There could be considerable delay just west of Memphis on I-44. There are warning signs "take alternate route." US-70 parallels I-44 and you can see the traffic from I-44. The construction area is less than ten miles long, but causes considerable backup.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.