cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon Coast in September

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a first time trip up the Oregon Coast after Labor Day. Planning on 3 to 4 day stops at each of the following: Brookings/Gold Beach (Harris Beach SP), Bandon (Bullard's Beach SP), Depoe Bay, and Cannon Beach.

We have no agenda other than to relax and take in the sights. We do plan on a jet boat ride up the Rogue, otherwise we're open. Would appreciate any "Must See or Do" on the way. Like I said, this trip is to relax so I'm not looking for a long list of things, just ones that, in your opinion, shouldn't be missed.
2013 Evergreen Everlite 29RLW
2013 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4
Parties 10, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2
22 REPLIES 22

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Astoria has a fantastic Maritime Museum, Bow Picker across the street for fish and chips - always a line, $2 to ride the trolly with naration by the conductor. The Column is interesting but not high on our list. I've been kayaking on the Lewis and Clark River and Ft Stevens lake. Ft Stevens is a great CG and you can walk on the beach.

If the fish are running expect to see a thousland boats on the Columbia. The Columbia Bar BTW is the most dangerous in the world. About 300 major ship wrecks and the Maritime museum has a map. Kids love the museum.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
UtahBluegrass wrote:
State Parks just opened up a month ago and are only taking reservations 30 days in advance. Good news is that they aren't filled up months in advance like they usually are. Less good is that I can't make September reservations for another couple of weeks.

Actually IIRC you can only reserve out twp weeks in advance.
Not very easy to plan a vacation. If this last week was any indication, Oregon St parks are packed to the gills. Just spent time at Nehalem Bay and Fort Stevens. Both packed to the max. I know it's summer and all but usually you can get a spot on the fly.

And yes they're filled up months in advance. Any pre Covid reservation was honored after the reopening. I think Sept will be packed as well.

Well GoDucks10, is pretty spot on, Existing reservations were only canceled for the original planed closure. Then they if a park wasn't opening they were canceled as long as the park was going to be closed. Existing reservation made before the middle of March are being honored, so nine months out from then there are reservations.
Most if not all parks on the coast are only taking reserved campers.
The last I heard is that you can make reservations 30 days out currently, which means about the 2nd of August you can start reserving for September.
The parks that are open are running at or close to capacity. One plus you may find is that September was a month that we saw a lot of Canadians. Last I heard is that the border is still closed, so if they had earlier reservations they likely canceled those reservations. The coast is beautiful in September.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
UtahBluegrass wrote:
State Parks just opened up a month ago and are only taking reservations 30 days in advance. Good news is that they aren't filled up months in advance like they usually are. Less good is that I can't make September reservations for another couple of weeks.

Actually IIRC you can only reserve out twp weeks in advance.
Not very easy to plan a vacation. If this last week was any indication, Oregon St parks are packed to the gills. Just spent time at Nehalem Bay and Fort Stevens. Both packed to the max. I know it's summer and all but usually you can get a spot on the fly.

And yes they're filled up months in advance. Any pre Covid reservation was honored after the reopening. I think Sept will be packed as well.

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Evergreen Everlite 29RLW
2013 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4
Parties 10, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
After school starts you should be able to get into the better state parks. The best way to see the coast is from the north to south since most of scenic site our on the ocean side. Astoria is a nice little town with an interesting tower and close to Ft Clatsop and the Lewis and Clark exhibits very interesting. many like the Tillamook Cheese tour and some good food. Also an Air Museum not far off the coast. Sometimes the traffic is bad but lots o little towns like Seaside are interesting stops.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon trip.

suggest you start making all your reservations today. Oregon State Parks are upredictable as far as being open due to the virus. I would suggest you start with private RV Parks to guarantee your reservations.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reservations all set?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great trip. Depot Bay is nice but if it were me I would stay at Beverly Beach (just south of Depot Bay) and make Depot a day trip.
Kevin