cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight stop at Oak Hollow Campground, High Point, NC?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Reviews on rvparkreviews.com seem pretty good. Anyone stay here? Any thoughts of it as an overnight stop sort of place on our way to/from a Thanksgiving trip?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
15 REPLIES 15

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct on that wb.....I never figured out why they spent so much money to make nice spots and then not get them pretty close to being level.
Gary

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
NCBounder wrote:
Be aware that Tanglewood closes for the season right after Thanksgiving. Their last day is December 1. Also their Festival of Lights starts on November 23 so expect a large crowd for that event.

Ditto. There are typically very large crowds for Festival of Lights.

At Oak Hollow the middle section is an open graveled area. Sites are narrow but it's fairly easy to get level on most of them. That's the area I'd use for an overnighter. We were through there Tuesday and there were only about four RVs in the graveled section, so you'd have your pick of sites and likely no immediate neighbors to make the narrowness an issue.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
mockybird wrote:
Tanglewood can handle big rigs and most of the levelling there is from front to rear more so than side/side.Sites are paved though.

That's the problem (front to rear) for big rigs, at least as bad unlevel they are. Works better for trailers.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

NCBounder
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that Tanglewood closes for the season right after Thanksgiving. Their last day is December 1. Also their Festival of Lights starts on November 23 so expect a large crowd for that event.
Chuck & Pam
'16 Tiffin Allegro 32SA - Ford V10
'17 Nissan Frontier - Blue Ox & Brake Buddy
F261484
NJ4B

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Check the sites I listed for being quite level. We walked through them all.

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
A good number of sites in the middle of the campground have leveling problems. Stick to those on the outside loops and you will have no issues.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
Tanglewood can handle big rigs and most of the levelling there is from front to rear more so than side/side.Sites are paved though.
Gary

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Warning: be prepared to possibly have to do a lot of leveling at tanglewood. Many of there sites are very unlevel.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

davidm99
Explorer
Explorer
We always stop over in Greensboro at Greensboro Campground, big rig friendly and right off interstate 40 & 85

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
For Tanglewood- I don't mind a back-in site, as long as the campground is big rig friendly. I see that the above folks have 35' and 36' units. Any issues with a 42' fifth wheel and crew cab/long bed truck?
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I just looked at a map and it does appear that Tanglewood may be quite a bit more convenient to where we're coming/going to.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at OH. You really want one of the sites on the far end down by the water. The first loop or two on the right has really UN level sites and are pretty jacked up to the sides on some of them. Tanglewood is a little easier to get in and out of as far as being right off I-40. There are level sites there: 12,13,14,15,19,20,21 were the best ones we walked though. All back in though. Individual fires not allowed at TW.

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Tanglewood. By the way site #10 is only pull thru, if that interests you.

Jim
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Randy.