cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Park status sound off.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Seems every winter we post this, so might as well keep the cycle of knowledge going. "How full is your park now that the holidays are over?"

Needless to say if your park is RV's that never move, then it will be pretty static (as in "full".) I'm asking only those that are in non owner parks that have transient slots during the year. Reason being when you're in an owner park, the residents have a vested interest in using there slot. They're "loosing money" if they don't use them.

I'm in deep south Texas. I'm seeing a very large number of open spots. Five years ago we were full after the holidays. Each year it seems like more and more spots are coming available. Rumor is there is over 150 open spots out of 600 this winter. There is no way those can all be Canadians either (due to their dollar exchange.)

Texas isn't know for their great weather, but the price reflects it. So I'm guessing that isn't the real reason for the declining rate, but then maybe it is. :h
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
98 REPLIES 98

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The World War II vets built many social clubs, service clubs, and other organizations. Their children used and supported them. Their grandchildren wonder, "What is the big deal?" Our club used to have dress up dances once a month. Now we can't get volunteers to help clean up afterwards. The same thing has happened to life in the RV parks.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could be a lot of the older clientele does not want change and happy with the way it is. The problem with that is as they die off so does the park. I seen that happen to a lot of clubs such as American Legion, and other lodges. They look at younger people as outsiders.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
WandaLust2 wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:

....That said, a lot of the parks are outdated and worn out. The events are pretty much standard; shuffle board, country western dancing, mah jong(?), potlucks, and holiday dinners. Nothing too exciting. We like to get out and go to the state parks, birding, riding bikes, exercise, visiting new places, etc. I don't care much for just sitting around....

You hit the nail on the head with this one. We're snowbirds and so tired of these same old activities (don't forget karaoke, card night, bingo, crafts, movie night) that we don't spend much time at the clubhouse. The only thing left we enjoy are the potluck and holiday dinners. Too old to hike, bike etc we do at times get a little bored. At those times we'll take a ride into a nearby city and check out the stores, try a new restaurant, take a long walk along the road - whatever...

I wish they would come up with something new but perhaps there is nothing new. Personally I can't think of anything else myself.

I wish these RV resorts and parks would come up with something a little different. Perhaps there is nothing different.

Try geocaching, good for both body and mind.. And there are a lot of things they could try. It just takes effort and enough younger folks demanding that they be heard.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
It's kind of interesting in the resort we are in, a number of the older folks have been lobbying the owner to make the place a 55+ park so that younger folks and families are barred. The owner is smart enough not do do this as his "weekenders" (who pay a higher price than us "by the month types") would disappear. I'm glad he is resisting as it makes the park younger and we can bring our kids and grand kids in.

I had a laugh, we stayed a couple of times at the Fountain of Youth RV park near the Salton Sea, we aren't young but we were very "young" there, almost teens compared to the average age at the park.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't do it, but a lot of folks enjoy helping others. Another activity is playing on the computer, but I don't see many admitting to that. I tend to agree with how my father in law answered the question forty years ago when asked what he did while camping. He asked back, "You have to do something?"

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:

....That said, a lot of the parks are outdated and worn out. The events are pretty much standard; shuffle board, country western dancing, mah jong(?), potlucks, and holiday dinners. Nothing too exciting. We like to get out and go to the state parks, birding, riding bikes, exercise, visiting new places, etc. I don't care much for just sitting around....

You hit the nail on the head with this one. We're snowbirds and so tired of these same old activities (don't forget karaoke, card night, bingo, crafts, movie night) that we don't spend much time at the clubhouse. The only thing left we enjoy are the potluck and holiday dinners. Too old to hike, bike etc we do at times get a little bored. At those times we'll take a ride into a nearby city and check out the stores, try a new restaurant, take a long walk along the road - whatever...

I wish they would come up with something new but perhaps there is nothing new. Personally I can't think of anything else myself.

I wish these RV resorts and parks would come up with something a little different. Perhaps there is nothing different.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
WandaLust2 wrote:
The place we're staying at it almost full. I didn't leave our RV today but yesterday there were only about 5 spots open of, I think, 45 sites. All have FHUs. There were more open sites before Jan 1st.

Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Arizona?

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of the parks that are full (like Rock Crusher Canyon) offer a lot of things for folks to do and also they are very nice parks. If a park has a shower house and dirt spots and is located 20 miles from the closest store, they are not going to do as well as the nice places.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
The place we're staying at it almost full. I didn't leave our RV today but yesterday there were only about 5 spots open of, I think, 45 sites. All have FHUs. There were more open sites before Jan 1st.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boldtning
Explorer
Explorer
Returned to our park this afternoon and the "NO VACANCY" sign was up here at Rock Crusher Canyon RV Resort in Crystal River, FL. It will probably stay that way thru February.
Jeff & Barbie
2010 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Dodge Ram 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X2 SRW, 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Crystal River, FL/Dillard, GA/ USA

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My brother is visiting/renting a site for a week and could not get anything close to my owned site here in WPB. Out of 400 sites, aprox 150 are in the rental program with around 90% occupancy. Of the 250 not rented I'd say only 80% are being used... mainly because of fewer Canadians.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

LookN4Ward
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I have never been to RGV but it does not sound like it has much to do. Just warm weather is not enough of a draw for me to come down and sit inside my RV.

What activity's are there for people in there 50's? In my summer seasonal site I have a UTV with trails to ride on. A chain of three large lakes to take the pontoon boat on. Lots of scenic roads to ride the motorcycle on. Lots of trails to take the Collies for a walk on.

Are there any parks that cater to the active lifestyle?

It sounds like my parents would have loved the Big Band and dancing but they passed away 20 years ago.

I understand your desire to go to a place with an active lifestyle. I believe you can have one in the RGV, but matching your interest with what is available takes some effort. A typical week for me involves playing nine holes of golf on Monday, playing some eight ball on Tuesday, going bowling on Thursday and playing some cards with friends during the evening. If I desired I could get involved in senior activities, like senior olympics, softball, and pickle ball as examples. For us a trip over to South Padre Island to walk the beach is always relaxing and enjoyable walk. There are parks with tennis courts. The one thing people forget is the RGV gets daylight for a bout 10 to 11 hours during January. It allows you to get outside for longer periods of time.

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
The Park that we are in is about half occupied. I spent last week in the Fortuna Foothills of Yuma, AZ. In our stay there, we drove several streets collecting address's and phone numbers for a future stay. Over all, I think the rental spaces were less than half occupied. Lot's of them for sale.

The park where we stay in Yuma AZ has 800 sites and is 95% full.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
We have heard from the RGV and AZ area but what about south Florida? Are they still packing them in down there?

X2

Guessing the answer will be yes, but that may be due to the extremely high population density along I95.

We were just north of Daytona a week ago, and everything was advertised as "New York style," even the Chinese buffet. :h

Walked out on my favorite fishing pier (a few times) from years ago only to see no one catching anything but loving every moment. Guess a bad day of fishing is still better then a good day in a big city.

The RV park that is on the beach in that area was packed, but there were only inches between slides. When I asked what a monthly rate would be, they said it wasn't cost effective for them to rent by the month, but $4,000 should cover it.

YMMV
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

waldo617211
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone staying at Cathedral Palms in Cathedral City? I'm curious about their vacancy rate. TIA.