cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking permits in the GSMNP

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The NPS is toying with the idea of implementing a parking permit system in the GSMNP. The is a public input period so that people can express their thoughts on the NPS website. They are also thinking about doubling camping fees. The park will remain free to get into and tour but if you park to hike you will be required to have a permit. WATE and WBIR news covered this so if you want to see what the news stories said go to their websites.

It's kind of difficult to NOT STOP somewhere in the park to see the sights. 14.1 MILLION people came to the GSMNP last year.
24 REPLIES 24

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeH wrote:
...and then I think who will be enforcing the parking if they go to permits ?
Rangers are few and far between in the park.

NPS will use the parking money to pay a couple of vendor employees to enforce the parking stickers and cite the cars without one. IF any money is left after payroll, federal taxes, and benefits, the park might get it for parking lot maintenance.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I was at Zion and thought the shuttle system was the WORST I have seen anywhere in the world.

I will NEVER use them again. I will only go when I can use my own car to get around.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We visited Zion NP and their shuttle system works great. Eliminate the parking areas and if someone parks there, tow them and when they come back to their missing car they can ride the shuttle to the tow yard and pay the fine.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
...and then I think who will be enforcing the parking if they go to permits ?
Rangers are few and far between in the park.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
Parking fees would be 5 dollars per day
15 dollars per week
40 dollars per year. 14.1 million people visited the park last year more people are expected to come to the GSMNP this year. I live around here so the times I choose to go to the park are few and far between because of the congestion. I've seen the 11 mile Cades Cove loop bumper to bumper all 11 miles worth. There is a problem definitely but I don't think this idea will make much difference. With other national park entry fees at 40 dollars plus I really don't think a 5 dollar per day parking pass will stop people from coming.

Go to the National park website and give your feed back. It's only being talked about as yet. Nothing is set to be put in place.

Thatโ€™s because the parking fee is is a thinly disguised money grab! They are on,y taking advantage of the situation and not trying to do anything to remedy it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Parking fees would be 5 dollars per day
15 dollars per week
40 dollars per year. 14.1 million people visited the park last year more people are expected to come to the GSMNP this year. I live around here so the times I choose to go to the park are few and far between because of the congestion. I've seen the 11 mile Cades Cove loop bumper to bumper all 11 miles worth. There is a problem definitely but I don't think this idea will make much difference. With other national park entry fees at 40 dollars plus I really don't think a 5 dollar per day parking pass will stop people from coming.

Go to the National park website and give your feed back. It's only being talked about as yet. Nothing is set to be put in place.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Would fee-based parking permits include those people who have lifetime senior citizens or "golden" passes provided by federal parks across the US?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It seems it has reached a point where something needs to be done. Need has exceeded supply and present status no longer meets needs. I would not be surprised at a doubling of the camping fees especially during high season. I am hoping the additional money will be retained by the park service and used to improve the park.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be there this Fatherโ€™s Day weekend. I have read that the main trail heads will need a parking permit. Anywhere else will be whatever parking is available. Not a big hiker, so we will see. I wonder if Clingmans Dome is going to charge?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m not sure what the answer is, but the place is a zoo during the busy season and other parks are becoming the same way. Something has to change. Maybe bus service to trail heads and Clingmanโ€™s Dome?

If itโ€™s like many other national facilities, an ATB pass works as a parking permit.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73