cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Places to rv camp in Colorado

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to rving and are wanting to plan a trip to Colorado next June and would appreciate any suggestions of good campgrounds. We enjoy hikes, fishing, kayaking, and beautiful scenery. We also have a pup (border collie) we'll be bringing along so pet friendly is important too. Would really like a more private campground rather than rvs on top of one another but not sure if this is possible? Our specific loaction of interest is flexible....a lake and 14 footers would be ideal. :)We will be pulling a Trail Manor 2720SL pull behind camper. Thanks for any and all input.
36 REPLIES 36

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just got back from a month in Colorado -- our first visit -- we can't wait to go back. Feel free to click on my blog link in my signature -- lots of pictures and also descriptions of campgrounds. I'm hoping that the blog entries will give you some ideas on which areas to visit.

If you are coming from SW Missouri and you only have a week for this trip, maybe focus just on Rocky Mtn National Park, which I think is the closest area to you -- it looks like it is 750 miles from Joplin to Estes Park, which is two long days for most folks. Estes Park and RMNP are kind of crowded and busy, compared to the southwestern part of Colorado, but it is really spectacular. And when I say you only have a week "for this trip," I would bet that you will be back for other trips. We surely will.

One more thought -- kayaking is great fun, but Colorado is infamous for lightning in the afternoons. So just be sure to be off the lake before the daily storm hits!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedRocket204 wrote:
Bowfreak wrote:
We are new to rving and are wanting to plan a trip to Colorado next June and would appreciate any suggestions of good campgrounds. We enjoy hikes, fishing, kayaking, and beautiful scenery.

Keep in mind that June can still see some of the very high country, passes and such, with lots of snow but fully dependent on how the snow season went. That's not to say you will need to worry about this in the lower area campgrounds, this would be in reference to seasonal passes and/or higher altitude hikes you may be interested in.

With that in mind, make sure to pack for cold temps just in case and that includes taking foul weather gear for hikes. Again, will be dependent on conditions at the time.

If you are going to do high altitude hikes, make sure to study up on that as well. A common mistake many will make is getting caught out in lightening... so early start and turn around if the conditions start building for thunder storms which are very common in the afternoons.

Be safe and enjoy your stay.

THIS is great advice!!

Whichever part of Colorado you decide to explore, heed this advice.

And about snow...even though roads and highways will likely be clear (there are always exceptions), many high mountain trails can still have a lot of snow and even worse...mud! Even at lower elevations, mud can be a significant problem on trails, and both snow and mud could have an impact on your fur friend coming along on your trip.

Thunderstorms. Out here, they build up in the mountains and roll out onto the eastern plains. Hiking rule of thumb for the mountains -- get an early start and be off the mountain by 2pm. That's not to say you can't enjoy anything after 2, you just want to be off high peaks/passes/above timberline, and be at a lower elevation, where you can seek shelter as necessary. And having a good backpack with necessities is essential.

Much as I love our northern Colorado area and the Arkansas River area, I agree with Lauren that, given you have just a week to explore, the southwest part of Colorado is the area I'd choose if I were out-of-state. The diversity, as noted in some of the comments of others, is simply amazing, that there's so much in one region of the state. It's a good starting point, and will give you a great excuse to come back and explore other regions of our great state! :C
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Try looking at This!

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Bowfreak wrote:
We are new to rving and are wanting to plan a trip to Colorado next June and would appreciate any suggestions of good campgrounds. We enjoy hikes, fishing, kayaking, and beautiful scenery.

Keep in mind that June can still see some of the very high country, passes and such, with lots of snow but fully dependent on how the snow season went. That's not to say you will need to worry about this in the lower area campgrounds, this would be in reference to seasonal passes and/or higher altitude hikes you may be interested in.

With that in mind, make sure to pack for cold temps just in case and that includes taking foul weather gear for hikes. Again, will be dependent on conditions at the time.

If you are going to do high altitude hikes, make sure to study up on that as well. A common mistake many will make is getting caught out in lightening... so early start and turn around if the conditions start building for thunder storms which are very common in the afternoons.

Be safe and enjoy your stay.
I love me some land yachting

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
With your camper you will have no trouble getting into any camp ground you like in Co. Ft Collins area is beautiful with a lot of camp grounds. Hy way 14 west of Ft Collins poudre river has very good rafting . the mountains a huge you will need a tow vehicle.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you only have a week (definitely not enough time for Colorado), you might want to consider staying at a RV park in Durango. From there you can take some nice day trips with your vehicle - up to Silverton, over to Telluride and down to Cortez is a awesome circular drive! Take a day for Mesa Verde National Park - you could stay there, too. They have a few hookup sites but most are dry camping.

To get to Durango from Missouri work your way up New Mexico.

Wow...a week just won't do it!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much. Sounds like we can't go wrong in CO, right? Just didn't want to haul a camper 14 hours to a campground that is subpar to our wants. You know.....we want the best experience possible. ๐Ÿ™‚

Parrothead Mike wrote:
>>>"We enjoy hikes, fishing, kayaking, and beautiful scenery."<<<

Then Colorado is right for you! Just about anywhere you go throughout the Rockies you'll find all of your wishes.

I've camped in several areas in a tent over the years, but 4 years ago was our first RV trip. Camped at Ridgway State Park north of Ouray. Electric on all sites, but some loops have FHU.

Our next campground was Island Lake in the Grand Mesa National Forest. It's located in the NW portion of the state. Plenty of fishing available on some beautiful lakes. See my review on the clicky from 2011 for this campground.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/colorado/cedaredge

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
If you only have a week I would stick with the SW portion. Be mindful of elevation you will be at and how it might affect you. Lake City is nearly 8700 feet up.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
I do love that area! Where is a good campground around there?

Thunder Mountain wrote:
If you like water come to Buena Vista!

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Rifle Falls looks soooo great!!!! Definitely a consideration. Thanks for your good input!

TyroneandGladys wrote:
This year we stayed at Rifle Falls State Park loved it. Montrose KOA is a good basecamp for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. The KOA at Cortez is a great basecamp for the Mesa Verde National Park and Durango.
Off the beaten path on the eastern side of CO hike the West Spanish Peak and stay at Bear Lake

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
We are coming from SW MO and going to take a week-ish to make the trip. Not real experienced with mountain driving but not totally clueless either.

Lauren wrote:
Thom02099 is right, CO is a large place....we lived in Estes Park for 8 years and love Rocky Mtn N P. However, we now go back and concentrate on SW portion of the state and love it. Not sure where you are coming from or how much time you have. Or how familiar you are with mountain driving, etc.

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Nice!!! I have had a gal tell me Lake City would be a great area. I will continue that search.

jkmac408 wrote:
Our favorite part of Colorado Is the San Juans of southwest Colorado. Lots of fourteeners and Lakes and streams. Our favorite base area is Lake City and campground is Castle Lakes about 10 miles out of town on the Alpine Backcountry Scenic Byway. They have two lakes one for any tackle and one for flyfishing catch and release. You can't beat the scenery and there are tons of ghost towns and old mines everywhere. Also there are several hiking trails and great fishing.

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and thanks for the "footer" correction....I was trying to sound cool like the Colorado folk. We only have 14 footers in MO!!! Hee hee!

Bowfreak wrote:
Great info and definitely an area of the state we are interested in. Some have told me the Taylor Reservoir is very remote yet far away from other scenic areas. We love Gunnison and Crested Butte areas so if we were in the area, I would have to go back there for at least a day visit.

Thom02099 wrote:
a lake and 14 footers

I am presuming you're referring to what we call the 14ers out here...the mountains over 14,000 feet. Well, there are 58 of them at last count, which changes sometimes when new ones come on board.

One of the best places to have lakes/rivers and 14ers would be the Arkansas River Valley. LOTS to see and do in that general area, in which I would also include the Taylor Park area west of Cottonwood Pass.

Lakes/Rivers and the northernmost 14er (Longs Peak) in the area in and around Rocky Mountain National park, to include the Big Thompson Canyon, the Poudre Canyon, Red Feather Lakes, the Grand County area of Granby/Grand Lake/Fraser/Winter Park and the North Park area around Walden.

These are just 2 of many considerations.

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Great info and definitely an area of the state we are interested in. Some have told me the Taylor Reservoir is very remote yet far away from other scenic areas. We love Gunnison and Crested Butte areas so if we were in the area, I would have to go back there for at least a day visit.

Thom02099 wrote:
a lake and 14 footers

I am presuming you're referring to what we call the 14ers out here...the mountains over 14,000 feet. Well, there are 58 of them at last count, which changes sometimes when new ones come on board.

One of the best places to have lakes/rivers and 14ers would be the Arkansas River Valley. LOTS to see and do in that general area, in which I would also include the Taylor Park area west of Cottonwood Pass.

Lakes/Rivers and the northernmost 14er (Longs Peak) in the area in and around Rocky Mountain National park, to include the Big Thompson Canyon, the Poudre Canyon, Red Feather Lakes, the Grand County area of Granby/Grand Lake/Fraser/Winter Park and the North Park area around Walden.

These are just 2 of many considerations.