cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Playing guitars with new people while camping?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I keep thinking about taking my Acoustic Bass 4 string with me when ever we camp?

Hoping I might find people to jam with around the camp fire.

What is your experience with this plan?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
33 REPLIES 33

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I've always wanted to bring along my didgeridoo but it takes up way too much room in the rv. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just about always travel with one of Mary's Guitars, one of my autoharps and a few harmonicas. Sometimes we get a jam going, sometimes we just play and collect listeners, sometimes we are alone.

It is all good.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
We met my cousin at the Cajun Palms RV Resort last April for a family reunion. He brought his accordian and played Cajun music at our campfire. Several people from other camps came over with chairs just to listen to him sing and play for us (he is in the Cajun hall of fame, so he is good). Great way to meet the neighbors.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always run into country music "picking and grinning' up in the Smoky Mtns Natl Park when we camp there. We are at ELKMONT CAMP enjoing the good music...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

olpops
Explorer
Explorer
We always take our acoustic guitars camping with us

We play at our campsite for a couple hrs in the afternoon
Other campers will often join us , playing their acoustic instruments or listening/singing

To make sure we respect the other campers who might prefer to enjoy a campfire and their own quite conversation, We never play at night or use an amp

Note: Many camps have an activities building that be reserved for jam sessions at night
Then those who so desire can play later snd louder without bothering others

IMHO
There is never a good excuse to impose your noise or activities on other campers
and I encourage folks to bring their instruments but also pack their social skills
Don't Worry, Be Happy

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry my guitar and enjoy sitting out picking for a little while (but I feel about 8 is a good cutoff time as many campers have young children that need to be put to bed). I've rarely encountered other with instruments in my travels although maybe they don't get started until after I turn in!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the best trip we ever had, was when we met another couple, and played around the fire. I had my dulcimer, and he his guitar. We were in Linville Falls on the Blue ridge. Soon we had most of the CG sitting with us. even the camp host, and the Ranger. We played for hours, but did stop at quiet time, or close to it.
Great memory.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
I can see where a small electric keyboard would be good sometimes, and an occasional accordian can be tolerated by most. But no bagpipes, please!

There was a man who lived up the street when I was a kid. At sunset, he'd come outside and play his bagpipes. It was the most soulful music I ever heard. I'd love to hear him play again.

However, I could skip the electric keyboard any day - would not enhance my camping experience at all.

I also have bag Pipes & yet doubt most Campers would want to hear it?

Limited appreciation for them it seems?
With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Carlos & Ranae wrote:
We have stayed in many campgrounds where there were several campers, sometimes one camp site where there was lively music. They played and sang at what was sociably considered moderate tone and they stopped at a reasonable time. Also, our camper is insulated enough to filter out most of the noise. We personally enjoy campgrounds where the campers enjoy themselves versus those that only find faults with everything around them.

This is why I did not buy a POP-UP Truck Camper even though I can see why I would still love one.

We enjoy going to off road race events & etc & a solid TC keeps the sound out.

But to this day in about 6 years of camping I have never noticed people playing music other than on a radio & why I asked bout if I should bother?
With '85 Lance.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johno02 wrote:
I can see where a small electric keyboard would be good sometimes, and an occasional accordian can be tolerated by most. But no bagpipes, please!

There was a man who lived up the street when I was a kid. At sunset, he'd come outside and play his bagpipes. It was the most soulful music I ever heard. I'd love to hear him play again.

However, I could skip the electric keyboard any day - would not enhance my camping experience at all.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed in many campgrounds where there were several campers, sometimes one camp site where there was lively music. They played and sang at what was sociably considered moderate tone and they stopped at a reasonable time. Also, our camper is insulated enough to filter out most of the noise. We personally enjoy campgrounds where the campers enjoy themselves versus those that only find faults with everything around them.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I would imagine music would apply the same as to everything else in most camp grounds of 10pm?

You can only play an acoustic bass guitar or 6string guitar so loud.

That being said I ALWAYS try to camp away from others any where I camp.

I live in the crowded city & why I camp, To get away from people!
With '85 Lance.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
and a euphonium seems a bit big to carry around in a camper anyway. But one played gently, with skill, can be a great solo instrument. A bit hard to sing along with though, especially for the player. Might be a bit much for a campfire anyway. A nice muted solo cornet, or a flute can be beautiful. A harp is a bit big also, whereas an autoharp is ideal. There was a reason that the smaller stringed instruments were so popular with traveling performers.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I think its great, but like others said, there is too much of "too loud, and too late" Personally, I could sit and listen to a good acoustic and a good singer all night. Might even add in a bit of background myself. If its good music, and not just a lot of noise like most of the music you hear nowadays.