Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quartzsite & The BLM!

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Quartzsite & the BLM!

While I am not currently full timing, I did get my proverbial feet wet last year and spent some time in San Diego County where my life once was and stayed in the Laguna Mountain BLM areas. For camping with my 2005 F-250 Super Duty and Lance Truck Camper, I acquired both a โ€œPermitโ€ for dry camping and maps at the Ranger Station in nearby Alpine but the area they sent me out to find was in the middle of a burned out area from recent brush fires. Needless to say I was beyond unhappy and could not stay there. After getting such wonderful assistance from said authorities in the area I decided to use the maps and try to find something with a bit more appeal! As a retired Land Surveyor I would have been amused by the โ€œmapsโ€ I was sold but had no recourse but to attempt to make them work!
I moved around a bit but was not impressed by the places I found and at no time was I confident I was actually IN a โ€œdesignatedโ€ dry camping area so it was tenuous going at best. Complications with my home sale had caused me to delay my departure which was planned for the winter desert season at Quartzsite so I ended up setting out right at summers beginning. Even so, one day I decided to depart the Laguna area and travel out to Quartzsite. I left too late in the day and after checking out some of the river areas I finally arrived at Quartzsite but could not be sure I had actually located any of the LTVA areas or La Posa as shown on line.
So the common problem was 2 for 2 with little or no signage at both of my early stops and the poorly marked BLM dry camping areas were a huge issue for me. Admittedly, by the time I reached Quartzsite the day was winding down and I ended up in the desert at dusk. Since finding a place to dry camp at night is just not suggested, I drove back to the Laguna's and hung out there a while longer.
My overall impression at least in San Diego was that it is a hostile area for boondocking no matter how you look at it. Seems that the BLM dry camping system is in place but the BLM does not like the political sense of it and would like it to go away and for everyone to stay in the very expensive โ€œpaidโ€ camp sites. No surprise there! After all, we are talking about California! No surprise at all!

I spent most of my life in San Diego for a total of 46 years and as a senior with many health issues, can not longer afford to life there and obviously don't want to camp there!!!
After much research, I am making my home in Arizona: I love the Colorado River and the climate speaks for itself. Since this will be new territory for me, I would love any input from anyone familiar with any dry camping up and down the river in AZ. Blythe, Parker Strip, Havasu and the like ::
21 REPLIES 21

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bob, well then with a little luck I'll see you there this coming winter season... Morgan

revump
Explorer
Explorer
We love Quartzsite and stay at La Posa on the East side of the highway. Water and a dump are handy and we are never crowded. We are usually there during the big RV Show in January.
Bob

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the posts guys... I am excited about this winter season in the greatest place on earth! The southwest desert! Stargazing, water sports, mountain biking... freedom!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in Quartzite during the 2nd half of January this year. We mostly wanted to see the rock shows and be close to them so we didn't have to drive anywhere. We drycamped real close to the shows and were not crowded at all by others. A shuttle picked us up and dropped us off only a few feet from our camping spot. A very pleasant experience right in close to the action. I did cost us a very few bucks each day, though.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
being home now, I miss Quartzsite!

When we first researched this, I was taken aback by ALLLL the RV's in the pictures. The reality is quite different. You can be as crowded in between campers as you want, with services, or you can boondock. We like Plomosa ๐Ÿ™‚
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mike :::

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I usually visit the Q for a week in late January. I made this basic map outline of the BLM areas that might be of help.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies, Thanks for that! Really appreciate it :::

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
OOps I guess that would be "Karma!"

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
DJ & OP, can't tell you how much I appreciate both of your responses!
The truth is that I believe most of us fit into the same mold if you will :::
We humans are just about 98.5 inside so whether we choose to acknowlage it or not, we need something pretty close to that on the outside!!!!!
While I have been in the East County of San Diego for 46 years, what is left of my family now reside in the Bend Oregon area which is where I am stuck today! My ever colorful and oddly uncharismatic story unfolds as I travel up here to visit after loosing my family home and then slip on the ice & end up needing rotator cuff surgery and now in physical therapy! I dream of never ever seeing snow again in my life! I absolutely hate being cold and love the southwest desert. It may be charma but I'm fighting to get back home to the sunbelt. BTW, my Lance was a piece of******so sold it to pay huge medical copays and now trying to find anything I can sleep and shower in to get me back out there... I know.. it's a rediculous story and every morning I wake up to "Oh no.. it's not a dream... Pine trees everywhere...? Where are my Palm Trees!!!??????????"

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP - There are many great boondocking places along the Colorado river. For example south of Ehrenberg, AZ, a dirt road runs along the Colorado River for miles. I've not been to the end of it, but have been down 15 miles or so and there are numerous riverside campsites. Some are really trashed so take a couple trash bags and in no time your campsite will be cleaned up and ready for you.

Near Lake Havasu City many folks stay for free at Craggy Wash... Craggy Wash Free Camping Location

A few miles further south on the California side of the river, free camping is allowed west of Earp, CA, which is just across the river from Parker, AZ, there are thousands of acres of open BLM land to camp. Many folks stay here... Earp California Free Camping Locations

East of Parker AZ are thousands of acres of BLM managed lands available... Free RV Camping Near Parker, AZ

Still in the Parker area, stop at the CRIT (Colorado River Indian Tribes) wildlife office in Parker on the east side of town. I don't recall the office address but you should be able to figure it out with a phone call to the CRIT main office. They will sell you a short term permit to camp at one of their numerous isolated campsites along the Colorado River for cheap.

This page shows the free camping locations near Quartzsite... Free RV Camping Near Quartzsite, AZ

One more idea about cheap camping in Arizona is their state lands. For $15 individual or $20 for a family, you receive a one year permit to camp on Arizona State Trust Land. This may be one of the best deals anywhere as Arizona has vast tracts of state land. Check out the particulars here... Arizona Land Trust Permits

That should get you started!
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My brother spends his winters down there. Actually it is Bard CA about 20 miles west of Yuma AZ. It is also very near a military base.

I was impressed. I spent a few weeks with him this last winter. I anticipated a crowded trailer park scenario but was pleasantly surprised by this.

View from the front.

I sure didn't have a problem trading cold, wet, rainy fog for this for a spell!!!

Although he is actively seeking LTVA land in AZ as he does not like CA gun laws.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some info on Quartzsite - rv parks and BLM areas.

Quartzsite

Quartzsite shopping and Boondocking Areas - BLOG
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Fred, thanks for your kind response. Actually, before I left my s&b I did research solar and my rig had a great mono panel made by Seimens. I still have the panel and it is hooked up to a great and brand new deep cycle batt sitting in my living room. When the power goes out, I'm usually the only one with lights on around here...
I love solar and plan to build up to a 48 volt system eventually.
No end of sun and as I read somewhere... "sticking it to the power companies one kilawatt at a time!"