cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on Myrtle Beach Travel Park

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed in Myrtle Beach now for about 7 years. Always at the Willowtree RV Resort and one stay at Cypress Camp resort. Now that my daughters are grown and married (the youngest married last Saturday) it will be just my wife and I with our two Cocker Spaniels.

We really like Willowtree but you have to drive a fair distance to get anywhere. Cyprus had just opened and will be a very nice park when they implement everything they have planned.

I was curious what it would be like to stay on the beach for a change. We drove through the big three (with a visitor Pass) Pirate Land, Ocean Lakes, and Lakewood. It was peak season and they were packed full. In Ocean Lakes a young boy in a golf cart ran into my truck while I was stopped waiting for people to cross the road. They had no adult with them and fortunately no damage to my front bumper. I have ruled that park out.

We were also able to tour The Travel Park. It seemed more subdued then the others and I don't remember any golf carts. It was also getting dark and we only had a short time to tour.

For those of you who have stayed there can you provide details on what you like and don't like as well as what part of the park to stay in that would be best for us considering we have two dogs?

We will probably be going next summer in late June or early July.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
25 REPLIES 25

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Click on the link for a map of the campground:

http://www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com/map-mbtp.html

You can get an idea of where the pool is. When you make your reservation specify that you wish to be close to the pool area. Dogs are walked everywhere, just clean up after them.

I have been going to MBTP since the early 70's with my parents and now my wife and I usually make a couple of trips a year down there. Toured the others but prefer this one. Convenient to everything we like plus it is right at rt 22 so I don't have to deal with traffic from Conway in or through North Myrtle Beach.

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
MBTP is where stay for 2 weeks in May every year. We try to get as close to the dunes/beach as we can. We like it down by the pavilion.

If you like to camp in the shade you'll want to camp where D&M camped. Might be nice in the summer. A longer walk to the beach.

* Nice pools
* Great beach to walk north of the campground - a preserve with no condos or houses for at least a mile or so.
* Recently remodeled camp store and rec area
* Close to shopping
* All pull through sites with a little shelter
* Usually quite
* Problem free campground with a friendly staff.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
AdirondackJack wrote:
We have been RVing to Myrtle Beach for several years and trying different parks including the "Big 3" and Cyprus. Our hands-down favorite is Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet across from Brookgreen Gardens. Nice size sites, great beach, plus Nature and wildlife like you won't have such close access to in many other campgrounds.

We don't RV in Myrtle because we have a condo on the north end. I have been thru many of the campgrounds. I recommend Huntington Beach SP. Myrtle Beach SP is nice also. These two are not as tight spaced either.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We'll be back at MBTP a next week, it 's where we spend our winters. No golf carts in the campground unless you have a DMV issued handicap tag/hanger on your daily driver, you must have a valid driver's permit and proof of insurance. The folks that live in the villa sections can have golf carts.

We've been going to MBTP for many years. There's a lot of activities, it's close to restaurants, shopping and many attractions. We enjoy the fact that they do not rent golf carts since we are walkers.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here<

First thank you all for your responses!

I know I need to act soon to reserve a space for next July so if you can recommend a section of the park that would meet these needs

1. Accommodate a 32 ft 5th wheel with one slide
2. Close to a dog walk. We have two Cocker Spaniels
3. A section near the pool. I can walk but not great distance do to a heart condition

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from MBTP yesterday. Nice bath houses. Breakfast By the Sea restaurant on the property. Minimal golf cart traffic. Very quiet at night. Gates are locked from Midnite to 7 am. Don't think I would camp anywhere else.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
AdirondackJack wrote:
We have been RVing to Myrtle Beach for several years and trying different parks including the "Big 3" and Cyprus. Our hands-down favorite is Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet across from Brookgreen Gardens. Nice size sites, great beach, plus Nature and wildlife like you won't have such close access to in many other campgrounds.

Double ditto. Quiet, no unsupervised kids on golf carts and the Gardens and beach are relaxing.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at MBTP several years ago and it was a really nice quiet park. We stayed in site 709. (see website map) It is a relatively large, shaded spot on the shore of the lake.

It was a short walk down to a bath house and down to the snack bar and pool w/ a lazy river.

Golf carts are only allowed for seasonals.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
We have stayed in Myrtle Beach now for about 7 years. Always at the Willowtree RV Resort and one stay at Cypress Camp resort. Now that my daughters are grown and married (the youngest married last Saturday) it will be just my wife and I with our two Cocker Spaniels.

We really like Willowtree but you have to drive a fair distance to get anywhere. Cyprus had just opened and will be a very nice park when they implement everything they have planned.

I was curious what it would be like to stay on the beach for a change. We drove through the big three (with a visitor Pass) Pirate Land, Ocean Lakes, and Lakewood. It was peak season and they were packed full. In Ocean Lakes a young boy in a golf cart ran into my truck while I was stopped waiting for people to cross the road. They had no adult with them and fortunately no damage to my front bumper. I have ruled that park out.

We were also able to tour The Travel Park. It seemed more subdued then the others and I don't remember any golf carts. It was also getting dark and we only had a short time to tour.

For those of you who have stayed there can you provide details on what you like and don't like as well as what part of the park to stay in that would be best for us considering we have two dogs?

We will probably be going next summer in late June or early July.

Thanks!

Dave
You will see minimal golf cars at MBTP. Unless it has changed you had to have a permanent lot to have a golf car. Ocean Lakes and Pirateland rent cars. I have never stayed at Lakewood so I don't know about it. I have also stayed at Cypress. Of the ones that I have stayed in MB I like MBTP the best. The atmosphere is more laid back even in the busy season. You are right there at restaurant row as well if you are into dining out. MBTP used to use a paper reservation system so sometimes it got fowled up but I haven't been there in a few years so things may have changed. The staff were always courteous. The grounds were always clean and well kept. The beach access was good and it was always clean as well.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at MBTP a number of times. Admittedly it's the only cg on MB I've stayed at. We absolutely loved it. It was quiet, NO golf carts, facilities are spotless and you are right at the beach. It's a big park but it's still easy access to the water. The beach is just beautiful, they have indoor and outdoor pools plus a lazy river. You will still have to drive to any of the activities but it's actually in North MB which is a little quieter.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]