cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Return to Bastrop State Park

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a four day trip to Bastrop. I hadn't been there since 2012. I stayed in the exact same site (#11) as I did back then. I was really amazed at how different the park seemed to me. The forest is much thinner, as many of the burned trees have either fallen or dropped their branches. I could actually see my camper from the scenic lookout. That was not possible in 2012. The burned trees are lighter in color now. Much of the blackened bark has been stripped by the weather. I was happy to see many new young pine trees throughout the park. The rangers told me that a lot of them are natural growth. I also saw a lot of animal life this time. Last time, I didn't even see a bird! This time I saw frogs, lizards, cotton mice, birds of all kinds, insects galore,and a few rabbits.

As usual, I blogged about my trip. All of the photos I took are at a link at the very bottom. You might be interested to look at the photos from my 2012 post and see the differences for yourselves.

Happy Trails!

By the way... No chiggers on this trip! Hallelujah!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos
2 REPLIES 2

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like you had a great time. If you would, post a review at the TripAdvisor Bastrop page http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55451-d139793-Reviews-Bastrop_State_Park-Bastrop_Texas...

We enjoy state parks and I'm glad Bastrop is recovering. It's been more than a decade since we've been in Bastrop SP and I think we need to swing back through there this year as we have an event to attend in Austin.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. We have a trip planned in August.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200