Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

River hideaway in Old Town Florida

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Has anyone stayed at the River Hideaway in Old Town Florida? My understanding is that it is on the Suwanee river. Or is it just near the Suwanee? If you've stayed please let me know your thoughts about the campground.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
6 REPLIES 6

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the county run parks have people living in them. I stay away from them, I drove through Otter one day and drove out and went to Manatee for a walk-up site. The river is high, but is going down slowly but surely. Also look at Yellow Jacket CG, it's a little further away, but a nice place.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might also look at Otter Springs CG. On a trib of the river. County run. FHU in the trees (watch the overhead clearance). The Mailing address is Fanning Springs, but the CG is East of town.

Good ribs!!!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the river was VERY high when we left for home about 1-1/2 months ago and the resort owner where we stay told us they've had a lot more rain since. The OP didn't say when he was planning to go to the area so be advised. As a CG, Hideaway is nothing special as it's average amenities for Florida but it's not jammed together slot type camping like is the norm for Florida RV parks. It's way back in from any other homes or structures.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I did not realize that.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not on the river so you can see it but just about a 10 minute walk to the Suwannee on a maintained trail. The CG is back in aways south of paved SR36A on a crushed rock/gravel type road. Very quiet! We winter for a couple months in Old Town Resort approx a mile from the Hideaway CG and have been in the Hideaway CG several times. Very nice new grocery store in Old Town on 19/98 and a good hardware store also around the corner on 349. We like the area. Excellent BBQ rib place (The Rib Shack), eat in or take a rack out their delicious thick smoked from raw for about 14-16 hrs, back across the bridge toyour RV. We get a takeout rack every week at min and it stuffs both of us for 2 great meals, $16.99 including sauce of your choice. There's Fanning Springs State Park also with a very nice large springs for swimming etc and many Manatees right next to the Suwannee. Has a long boat dock for pleasure craft to tie up to and the springs are on the other side of the long semi-floating dock. The paved Across Florida hiking trail is a couple hundred yards north of 19/98 at Old Town and very popular. It's a real quiet and laid back safe area of real Florida like it used to be. Many RV parks in the area but some close during the summer like many do in Florida because it's so hot and muggy day and night.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not but be aware that the Suwanee is very high and is running fast and has been so for months. And so are it's northern tributaries like the Santa Fe. I would not plan on boating, swimming or fishing right now. Every storm we get has just kept the water level up and we just had two days of heavy frontal rain.

here's warning at Troy Springs State Park for example:

"Troy Spring is closed to all visitation due to flooding. The park will re-open when it is safe to do so after the water recedes."

And that warning is worse than it was last week since now the park is closed when before swimming and diving were banned but the park was open for other activities.

It will take a return to the summer storm cycle, localized afternoon showers and a month or so for it to go back down to the normal depth is my guess.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper