cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV A/C in Arizona summer heat?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We may be moving to Wickenburg, AZ this summer. It is a bit cooler than Phoenix but still scorching for a Colorado boy. At some point us and the cats and dogs will have to try to survive for a few days or perhaps a couple of weeks in the summer heat.

Our 2016 Journey has three A/C units. We've been out in it upper 80s and low 90s and have been very comfortable. What temp can we expect to see the bus cool down to when the temps reach 110?

Not really looking forward to your answers, because I think I know the answer.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
20 REPLIES 20

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared to dig deep into your pocket book.

I have a lot I rent in Yuma and one summer had a renter with a trailer. She had power bills near $300 per month in July and August.

Wickenburg should be a little cooler than Yuma but you will still have the same problem most of South West Arizona has in the summer.

That is it does not cool off much during the night during the summer like it does in the fall and Spring.

Be prepared for night time temperatures in the high 70's and low 80's.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
You should consider Temperature Alert for your pets or perhaps you all ready have one. If we have to turn on the air conditioner I definitely have our alert system on. Video, Marcell RV Monitoring System
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do a lot of Hot weather RV'ing and as stated above try to seek some shade for the RV, deploy the awnings(never forget about the wind though), use reflectix(?) material in the windshield, start the airs early but for that matter, they will probably still be running partially because night time temps won't be cold. A couple of other thoughts, I like to place a high velocity fan outside under the awning to keep the air circulating, possibly a fan or two inside.

Finally if its allowed, I have had great success with a misting system attached to the awning, it cools the dirt, concrete, asphalt or what have you which reflects a lot of heat. My only thought against a misting system, be aware of hard water spotting on anything the mist hits. The hard water can make a mess so just be aware.

I have stayed in locations where the temps have been in the 115-118 range many times using two airs on a 37'MH(no slides) utilizing the methods above and have kept the inside of the RV right around 70...the dogs seem to enjoy it anyways.

Just on a personal note...I kind of enjoy sitting out in the heat, the misters keeping you wet, the fan blowing on you with a cold one in hand. May not be everyones cup of tea but I try to make the best of it.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
18*F-20*F differential between RETURN air and DISCHARGE air temps is what the A/C Unit should be capable of achieving
Mine does much better than that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
We may be moving to Wickenburg, AZ this summer. It is a bit cooler than Phoenix but still scorching for a Colorado boy. At some point us and the cats and dogs will have to try to survive for a few days or perhaps a couple of weeks in the summer heat.

Our 2016 Journey has three A/C units. We've been out in it upper 80s and low 90s and have been very comfortable. What temp can we expect to see the bus cool down to when the temps reach 110?

Not really looking forward to your answers, because I think I know the answer.

You are right! 110 temp. anywhere is hot but especially in Ariz. where the heat is dry. Based on my own experiences in Ariz. here are some tips: make sure you have 50 amp service, turn your air conditioner in the morning before it gets real hot to help keep your RV as cool as possible, plan on getting all your daily tasks and shopping done by 11:00 am, plan on spending time in Air conditioned Malls even if you are not shopping but rather just looking and keeping cool. Temporarily Insert some 2" strips around the edges of your slide outs, install new air filters. Drink 8 bottles of H20 daily.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 A/C Units should have no problem maintaining comfortable temps inside the RV

Remember...RV A/C Units circulate/cool INSIDE air ONLY
18*F-20*F differential between RETURN air and DISCHARGE air temps is what the A/C Unit should be capable of achieving

Outside ambient air temps affect cooling by providing a 'heat load'....windows/roof vents/no shade etc .
Try to minimize the heat load.....Awnings/window coverings, parking where afternoon sun is shaded etc

So start the A/C Units early and let them run.

We maintained 78*F in 110*F outside temps with ONE 15K A/C Unit in a 34' 5th wheel
You have THREE!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31