cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Park Tenants Rights in South Carolina

balfre1946
Explorer
Explorer
What rights do a RV tenant have in a South Carolina..we have a very grumpy landlord, we follow all the rules but he is harrassing us. Can he just throw us out for any reason he wants?
26 REPLIES 26

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
Move on done the road!!!
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

trafficmaker
Explorer
Explorer
June 5th, 2014 at that....
2014 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Double Cab and a really nice tent.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not only all the above, but hen we have another poster asking a question which is muddying up the replies here! Not to mention maybe the OP had a park model with an attached deck/awning! Makes it quite a bit harder to just "move on".

I wish they would've came back and said what the exact issue was and what they did to fix the problem.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the OP started this on June 5th I would imagine this has been settled by now.
Puma 30RKSS

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Op never said how he is being harassed. Could he be the one causing the problems? I don't know him so I can't say but we are just getting one side here. Bottom line is if your not happy there, ROLL ON!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Section 27 doesn't apply. A lot in a CG is not a "dwelling unit."

SECTION 27-40-110. Territorial application.

This chapter applies to, regulates, and determines rights, obligations, and remedies under a rental agreement, wherever made, for a dwelling unit located within this State.

I believe you are only a casual renter, month by month, absent any sort of rental lease, and you have only the right to leave.
-jbh-

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Ron8877 wrote:
ford coupe wrote:
almost sounds like situation we have in our park in florida. park was sold old owner very sneaky didn't tell anyone they had sold,still don't know who to pay rent to,old owners staying in park till end of june-i don't trust them but we don;t want to make bad impression to new owners,any suggestions?

The owner of the park was under no requirement to inform you that they were selling. Pay your rent to the people running the park and get a receipt. You don't know what the agreement is nor is it really any of your concern.
Ron
Winner, best answer of the day. Very likely the seller is bound by a non-disclosure agreement. The buyer probably doesn't want you to know who he or she is until he ready to make the information public. Could be because they are planning to do something different with that property and don't want people to stop paying rent now, or it could be they just don't want you and everyone else in the park pestering them about what is going to happen when maybe even they don't know.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You have the right to air up the tires and roll.

Transient law or tenant may depend on if you are month to month (tenant) or short term (transient).

Post your rental agreement for best answers.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Pretty simple to me; if they do not want you there, then leave!

cliffcc078
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if people don't bother reading the laws, but here it is.

1. Campgrounds in South Carolina fall under the hotel motel laws.

2. You are not a tenant at a campground, what you are paying for is an accommodation, even if you are paying by the month the payment is still based off a daily rate. The law recognizes you as a guest. You don't have a landlord at a campground, you have an innkeeper. As an innkeeper you Eject people from the property, not Evict.

3. It clearly states under the hotel motel laws that only a suspicion of ill deeds is needed to EJECT (NOT EVICT) a person off the property and that only a reasonable time is needed ( judgement made this 1-2 hours), once that time expires the authorities will remove said person and arrangements will be made for property retrieval.

4. It clearly states under Chapter 40, landlords and tenant act, section 27-40-120, the exclusions to this act (any rights as a tenant), paragraph 4, Hotels and Motels and ANY Accommodation Subject to the Accommodation Sales Tax (this includes the campground site you are staying in) is EXCLUDED from this Act.

You are a guest at a campground, just as in a hotel, you have no rights at all as a tenant. If the owner wants you gone you have at least an hour, maybe two to get up and go or you will be placed off the property and a trespassing notice will be given. (The innkeeper also has the right to hold your belongings just as in a hotel unless the bill is met, these belongs can be sold at an auction to for-fill the bill. Even though most cops don't know that campgrounds fall under hotel motel laws, the owner can point it out and the fact the all sites at a campground are subject to an accommodation tax and there-for just as in hotels and motels eviction does not apply, and if he does his job the person will be given a reasonable time to pack and leave.

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
JTHarley wrote:
My only comment is why would anyone want to stay where they are not wanted or are being harassed? The wonderful thing about this lifestyle is you can pick up and leave on an hours notice and move on down the road to someone who will appreciate you staying and paying rentโ€ฆโ€ฆIf you've paid thru the end of the month or till a certain date then bite your lip and ride it outโ€ฆ..then LEAVE!

we really go with this one...like it...and have moved even 2 days after paying rent...forfeited it.
my husbands been working in SC for 7 or 8 years...while I'm in the camper with our 3 little dogs..
There have been several times...we jumped ship...drug addicts in long term campers..ugh!..pithy people...ugh!...ex inmates staying in one place..the manager told me to be careful around...VAMOOSE!
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
My only comment is why would anyone want to stay where they are not wanted or are being harassed? The wonderful thing about this lifestyle is you can pick up and leave on an hours notice and move on down the road to someone who will appreciate you staying and paying rentโ€ฆโ€ฆIf you've paid thru the end of the month or till a certain date then bite your lip and ride it outโ€ฆ..then LEAVE!
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

cjalphonso
Explorer
Explorer
In the state of SC to evict one needs a 15 day warning then it takes about 15 days for the police to actually evict. However, in the rental agreement it is allowed to give the warning in the agreement negating having to wait the 15 days. The landlord can immediately file for eviction and the cops will put a notice of eviction on your door then show up 15 days later. They will remove you and your belongings, putting them on the curb, from the premises and then send you the bill. It definitely gives the upper hand to the landowner as it should.

Ron8877
Explorer
Explorer
ford coupe wrote:
almost sounds like situation we have in our park in florida. park was sold old owner very sneaky didn't tell anyone they had sold,still don't know who to pay rent to,old owners staying in park till end of june-i don't trust them but we don;t want to make bad impression to new owners,any suggestions?

The owner of the park was under no requirement to inform you that they were selling. Pay your rent to the people running the park and get a receipt. You don't know what the agreement is nor is it really any of your concern.
Ron
Ron & Ali Workentin
www.ali1257.blogspot.com