cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shenandoah National Park

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Which campground during the month of July and why?

-Big Meadow
-Mathews Arm
-Loft Mountain
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
12 REPLIES 12

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live 10 minutes from the Front Royal (North) entrance to the SD so I'm very familiar with it and the CGs. I'd choose Big Meadows, Loft Mountain and Matthews Arm, in that order. Time of year does not matter IMHO.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite sites are in the Loft Mountain campground and cannot be reserved. They are sites A-11 through I think A-16. They are less than 50 feet from the Appalachian trail on the edge of the mountain and the sunsets are amazing.

If you rent one of those sites expect company at dusk because many other campers come down to sit on the rocks and be awed by the sunset.

Edit to add; If you like to hike my favorite is Old Rag. Pack a lunch, leave early, and picnic at the top.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
wbwood wrote:
Thanks all...made reservations for Big Meadows for July 4th weekend.....got site E190

Spreading our wings a little with the NPS... have reservations for Memorial Day weekend at Linville Falls on the BRP. Will be our second time there.

And then in June, we will be heading to Oregon Inlet on the Outer Banks for a week. Will be our first time there.

That's a decent spot from what I recall, and easy to get into. I've stayed in E196 twice. E196 is level, but very tight squeezing a big MH into.

Yeah, after I made the reservation, I saw where someone listed it as one of their favorites for the campground.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite is Lewis Mountain; less then 30 sites.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Thanks all...made reservations for Big Meadows for July 4th weekend.....got site E190

Spreading our wings a little with the NPS... have reservations for Memorial Day weekend at Linville Falls on the BRP. Will be our second time there.

And then in June, we will be heading to Oregon Inlet on the Outer Banks for a week. Will be our first time there.

That's a decent spot from what I recall, and easy to get into. I've stayed in E196 twice. E196 is level, but very tight squeezing a big MH into.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brain - Check out some the trees up at LOFT MTN Camp... I can't remember ever seeing this before in the woods...

This must be where a tree limb has been broken off but all over the camp sites on top of LOFT MTN have little canopy like growths shown here. You can almost gaurentee under everyone of them is a Black widow spider haha...

They look like solid tree growth to me but google claims they are a fungus growth thing...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brian - If you really want to get OFF-ROAD like some of your NC camp spots are the place to go behind Harrisonburg on US33 and go back into the Geore Washinton National Forest along the VA and WVA wooded state line.

We got us a hidden site just down from a very popular 4WD JEEP Club site called FLAGGPOLE KNOB or RIDGE which is just off one of the Forest service Roads 85A... You almost need 4X4 and tall wheels to get back into some of these places... I really really like camping here for days on end.

My spot overlooks several rolls of mtns you can for miles away upon top. Once I get setup with my OFF-ROAD POPUP I also put up CAMO PANELS to further hide my activities. The only time I make noise is from 8AM to around 11AM recharging my battery bank running my 2KW Honda Generator.

This is where I go to get my Ham Radio Emergency Operations fills and test out new OFF-ROAD Radio things...

This is the Next bigger mountain range West of Skyline Drive...

Very seldom get bothered by anyone here...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Meadow was always FULL-UP FIRST... It is the most popular camping site. Has a hugh TENT Site setup along with a very nice and large additional picnic area.

It seems the wildlife is the biggest show here as well. A hugh meadow just off the SKYLINE DRIVE main road and when dusk comes this area is plum full of folks taking photos...

We always go for LOFT MTN which is also a very nice large area with camp store and close-by way-station with gasoline and a restaurant etc...

I got to know the rangers at LOFT Mtn very well over the years... Always turn over backwards to keep things running smooth.

Another area just South of the Blue Ridge Parkway entrance is another great place just off of US64 at AFTON MTN called SHERANDO LAKE. This is a large area and has some full hookup sites... We actually like this site better than LOFT MTN...

We camp at both places alot with our OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer and see larger trailers at both places as well...

This is a camp setup at LOFT MTN

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Big Meadow because there are more reservable sites.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I have not stayed at Matthews Arm but I have driven through and it is rather small. My favorite is Loft Mountain but with our current 38' fifth wheel, it is not as easy to get a site that we can fit in and yet like. The sites are more secluded and private with more natural undergrowth between the sites. However, they do tend to be steeper and require more leveling. Big Meadows has more larger sites which can accommodate us but they are also more open with less privacy. If given a choice and able to get into a site that I like, I would chose Loft Mt.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Meadows or Loft Mountain were recommended to us by the park ranger. We were on motorcycles and tent camped at Loft Mountain and found the sites large and the scenery breathtaking. The sites were mostly pull through as I remember with a small path leading off to a secluded sitting area or tent spot.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm