cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

smokey mountains

cac43
Explorer
Explorer
My wife & I would like to spend 4-5 days in the smokey mts in June. I'm overwhelmed by the web info on the where to stay. could anyone make a recommendation.
we found out that the rv sites at great smokey national park do not have electric or wate so ruled them out. we drive a 30 foot class C , towing a saturn. we basically would like to find a good site and enjoy "nature" while there. thanks chuck
7 REPLIES 7

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Another vote for the Townsend side.

X3
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Townsend side.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
When we go to PF/Gatlinburg area, we LOVE Pine Mtn RV Park in PF, but we also have young (10 and 7) kids that like the pools (indoor and outdoor).

We have also enjoyed Smoky Bear in Cosby (further out, great campground with great reviews, but sites are smallish). Also Misty Mountain in Wallen, TN is pretty decent.

Lots of people like Riverside in Sevierville, but I find that it is a nice, but has a "snooty" feeling to me. It is right in the middle of all the traffic, but down over a hill, so you don't get a lot of noise, but getting in/out is almost impossible.

We have stayed at Elkmont and while it is nice being in the mountains, the lack of services (water/electric), makes it a no-go for us. The fireflies there are amazing and if you haven't heard of them, look it up before you go. A one night stay is definitely worth it just to see them and not have to get a shuttle up on the mountain from downtown.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I would suggest a park in Townsend. Real close to Cades Cove. A great hike to Abrams Falls from the Cove loop road.

X2
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I would suggest a park in Townsend. Real close to Cades Cove. A great hike to Abrams Falls from the Cove loop road.

I agree with rv2go. Pigeon Forge has a lot of attractions for the kids, but since it is just you and your wife, avoid the madness (and traffic) and stay in Townsend. It's still within easy driving distance to Gatlinburg for the stuff there. If you have a chance drive over to Cherokee, NC. for a day. Lots of cool stuff there.

There are several good CGs along the Little River which runs out of the Park. Here's a list. I've stayed at both Big Meadow and Ye Olde Mill. Big Meadow = very nice, a little more expensive, Ye Olde Mill = nice, a little less expensive. Either would be fine for a week's stay. Lots of kids (and higher prices) at the KOA - overpriced.

Lots of great hiking trails in Cades Cove area; get a trail map from the visitor center. Say hello to the bears for me.

Make your reservations as early as possible.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
you'll get lots of great suggestions, both in North Carolina and Tennessee. Really depends on what you are looking for. My wife and I enjoy the quiet and relaxing aspect of the Smoky Mountains. We love going to Townsend, TN. We always stayed in a hotel when we went there, but this year we will be taking the camper. We'll be staying at Big Meadow Family Campground.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle