cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbirders/Winter Texans - What happening?

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
This thread gets a little slow at this time of the year so I thought I'd check what others are up to during this "off time". I know that it's not really time off, but what keeps you busy now that you're back home (besides daily chores)? Heck, some of you may still be on the road.

We stay pretty busy around the house, but I've been trying to golf more this summer after finally playing more golf while in snowbirding in Florida during the winter.

We also traded our '01 Cardinal for a '15 Cedar Creek Silverback while down in Florida, and now back home, I've been making it more livable (new bed, installing towel bars (can you believe that after spending a lot on a new RV that they'd include towel bars for the bathroom?), installed a paper towel dispenser, and organized the garage storage areas.

We're heading out in our camper this weekend and have several trips planned over the summer and fall. We have some regular camping type trips, but also have at least 3 music festivals lined up. Festivals of all kinds can be a lot of fun and RVing while attending is especially fun and comfortable!

Just like me, I'd guess that to many of you our lives seem pretty "normal" while living at home as compared to staying in an RV park where you have scheduled activities, organized events, and just enjoying your neighbors in the park. Being away during the winter adds a different element into our lives that isn't the usual back at home. The variety adds spice to our lives.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

20 REPLIES 20

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
..oops I'm not a Texan.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at home for a couple of months and now back on the road. Currently in Bowling Green Ky, heading to Louisville area tomorrow. We will stop and visit friends and family in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan for the rest of the summer. Heading back to the RVG in Decemer.
SkeetShooter
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I am back in the RGV after May visits to Illinois and Minnesota. Like LynnandCarol mentioned, I want to experience some Summer weather in the deep south. Just got here a few days ago, so my feelings may change, but so far it is okay. Highs in the nineties are somewhat offset by 20 mph breeze. I have air conditioner as do all the places that I visit. I don't have many outdoor chores, but have already learned to schedule them early or late in the day. There are dances, festivals, and a few people from the winter to hang out with. I am having fun.

Yes, it is quite different from the fall/winter months. we also schedule our outside work early in the morning, and usually go out and about in the afternoon heat time (AC RV to AC truck to AC store or AC eatery). By late afternoon, we can sit on patio with a fan and south bay breeze for cocktails. The ferry line to Port-A is longer so one must go early in the morning. The beaches are great and the fishing is outstanding!! There are many festivals here. This weekend is the Texas Game Wardens Fishing tournament and music festival all weekend. We have had allot of rain, but it was needed! We are having a wonderful time.

JohnDoe
Explorer
Explorer
I turn off all heat, blow out all water lines then pump R V antifreeze though them and away I go, was gone seven months this year came home not one problem just like past years, this was my 20th year to go to south Florida, same campground same spot and same folks parked next to me for years

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I am back in the RGV after May visits to Illinois and Minnesota. Like LynnandCarol mentioned, I want to experience some Summer weather in the deep south. Just got here a few days ago, so my feelings may change, but so far it is okay. Highs in the nineties are somewhat offset by 20 mph breeze. I have air conditioner as do all the places that I visit. I don't have many outdoor chores, but have already learned to schedule them early or late in the day. There are dances, festivals, and a few people from the winter to hang out with. I am having fun.

Cloud_9
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all, great feedback! Will have to check out that new fangled (to us anyways) technology. Weather related issues are a prime concern .

Carl

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud 9 wrote:
Just wondering, what has been your experience upon returning to S&B? Any damage, leaks, etc. not forseen, and not caused by vandals? I am wondering what have been the negative effects of leaving a house unoccupied for 4to 6 months, no natural disasters , just the normal seasonal changes in temp. Etc.

Carl

Like the above posts we have a web enabled thermostat to check and warn us of problems and we have a house checker that comes around picking up the mail and junk mail that arrives on our lawn.

We also live in a close knit neighbourhood, everyone watches out for each other, I once had a neighbour harass our son-in-law for putting stuff in our garage while we were gone. He got a laugh out of it since he is a police officer!

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud 9 wrote:
Just wondering, what has been your experience upon returning to S&B? Any damage, leaks, etc. not forseen, and not caused by vandals? I am wondering what have been the negative effects of leaving a house unoccupied for 4to 6 months, no natural disasters , just the normal seasonal changes in temp. Etc.

Carl

The one thing that I notice right away is that it takes a lot longer to clean a house than it does at RV! This after any length of trip.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud 9 wrote:

Carl

Mine set for six winters with camera inside to record break-ins. This past winter someone broke thru the rear door and stole some costume jewelry. The sad thing is that they were wearing masks so no positive ID. I thought about getting a alarm system installed, except it took the local police department over 40 minutes to respond after being called. Soooo what use is an alarm system.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud 9 wrote:

Carl

We have only completed two snowbird seasons but so far so good.

I do prepare the house for the trip and implement some precautions to lower the chances for bad things to happen.
I installed a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat so we can keep an eye on the house temperature while away. It is set to alert me by email if the temperature drops below a certain limit.
I also keep an eye on the house by way of strategically placed cameras that we can view on our tablet/smartphones.
And we have a neighbor or relative do a walk-thru every couple of weeks.
Even with these precautions in place things can still happen but I think we've lowered the chances somewhat.
Life is too short to spend worrying about a house.
I've got the most important "thing" with me. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud 9 wrote:
Just wondering, what has been your experience upon returning to S&B? Any damage, leaks, etc. not forseen, and not caused by vandals?

A good way to think about it is that there are 100's of thousands if not million snowbirds out there that leave their S&B behind for the winter with no ill effects. So don't let that concern hold you back from enjoying a southern winter with the rest of us. The first year leaving the S&B is always the hardest and most worrisome and something will be forgotten.

This last winter was the first in a new place to us to be leaving. I forgot to winterize the ice maker in the fridge.:S Took about three weeks to notice the ever so slow drip from the back of the fridge. That is now on my list of things to do.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Cloud_9
Explorer
Explorer

Carl

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a couple weeks getting doctor and dentist appointments out of the way and are still trying to get ahead of the lawn. We mow over 3 acres and it's usually pretty tall when we get back. With the recent frequent rains we've not been able to get completely through it before we need to start again. I purchased some new Grizzly tools for my wood workshop and have gotten them set up and am about to start my summer projects. Add in the few summer outings we have planned and I'm realizing it's a good thing I don't have to deal with any type of employment, as well.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been wrestling with doctor and dentist appointments, purchasing flowers and plants to get in the ground, and keeping the lawn looking good.

Most of my time lately has been spent getting my old RV air conditioner out and the new one ready to put in. Seems the old one needed me to get up on the roof to turn the fan every time it started up after sitting unused for a while. Decided I'm too old to be doing that anymore so purchased a new one which is sitting in the back of my truck ready to be installed. Should be done sometime next week.

Once the air conditioner is in, the trailer will go up to my son's family campground in the northern part of Michigan where it will probably stay for the rest of the summer until we take it back to Florida in October. Don't do a lot of traveling around anymore other than the trip South in Fall and back North in the Spring.

Chores around the house keep me busy for most of the summer and we like to spend time with our family at the campground. ๐Ÿ™‚ (Those are my two sons trailers plus ours in the picture.)
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine